• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Off peak return excess date

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonic2009

Established Member
I gained an excess on the 12th June for a friend.

The original ticket was a Weston-Super-Mare to London Terminals ticket Off Peak Return Rtn Portion

The ticket was excessed to a Cardiff to London Terminals ticket Off Peak Rtn, by Cardiff Central on the 12th June at a cost of £3.25

On the date of the original ticket the last valid date was the 17th June, yet the excess say's valid until 11th July.

Is this a mistake this has printed the 11th July?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I gained an excess on the 12th June for a friend.

The original ticket was a Weston-Super-Mare to London Terminals ticket Off Peak Return Rtn Portion

The ticket was excessed to a Cardiff to London Terminals ticket Off Peak Rtn, by Cardiff Central on the 12th June at a cost of £3.25

On the date of the original ticket the last valid date was the 17th June, yet the excess say's valid until 11th July.

Is this a mistake this has printed the 11th July?

I'd assume the 1 month validity is automatic. It doesn't extend the validity of the ticket as the original ticket must be valid as well as the excess.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Ticket machines can't issue backdated tickets, but the excess is only valid when used with the original ticket.

island

Veteran Member
I had a similar thing happen before. It does not extend the date, given that the Excess says valid only with ticket ##### and it would seem if ticket ##### were invalid, the excess would be as well.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
But an excessed fare takes on the terms and conditions of the new fare it is excessed into, doesn't it? E.g. different destination, route, class or restriction code for example. It might also be necessary to excess a ticket valid on only one day into a ticket valid for a month in some circumstances, in which case the expiry date would change. So why should it be any different in this case?

craigwilson

But an excessed fare takes on the terms and conditions of the new fare it is excessed into, doesn't it? E.g. different destination, route, class or restriction code for example. It might also be necessary to excess a ticket valid on only one day into a ticket valid for a month in some circumstances, in which case the expiry date would change. So why should it be any different in this case?

It might be necessary, but that's an explicit ticket type change e.g. Off Peak Day Return to Off Peak Return. In the OP's case it's a over-distance excess - in that case you're not actually changing the ticket type, so the period of validity of he original ticket remains the same.

I am not an expert, but that's how I read it, anyway.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
in that case you're not actually changing the ticket type, so the period of validity of he original ticket remains the same.
Oh yes I'm not arguing that it shouldn't remain the same, but if the ticket machine has a software bug that changes it, that is hardly the passenger's concern is it? How is an average passenger supposed to know which of the details on their excessed ticket are correct and which are wrong due to a software bug that they should ignore?!

barrykas

Established Member
If memory serves, only Avantix Mobile asks the operator to enter the start date of the original ticket when doing an Excess. FasTIS, Fujitsu STAR, Shere SMART and Tribute (i.e. Ticket Office machines) just print the date the Excess is issued and calculate the "Valid until" date accordingly.

In the "real world" this doesn't generally matter, as most people will be excessing tickets for travel the same day. The only time it falls down is where (for example) someone gets a route excess for the return leg of a period return and uses it after the original ticket has expired, though how a Ticket Inspector would deal with such a situation remains to be seen.

Cheers,

Barry

OwlMan

Established Member

Where does it say that?

clagmonster

Established Member
If memory serves, only Avantix Mobile asks the operator to enter the start date of the original ticket when doing an Excess.
Is it not the end date? The reason I ask is that in some cases, when the appropriate fare to excess to is a SVR or SOR, but the original ticket held is a CDR or SDR (this will be the case with some change of route or over-riding excesses) then it is the date of expiry which is important.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Where does it say that?
I was thinking of the definition in the TSA:
Ticketing & Settlement Agreement List of Defined Terms said:
“Excess Fare” means a variation in the Rights and Restrictions applicable to a Fare which has the effect of converting that Fare into another Fare.
I guess "rights" would refer to the stations between and routes over which the fare can be used, and restrictions the validity times etc.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
It is an error.

I don't know about ticket office machines, but when doing an XS in Avantix Mobile it asks you for the start date of the original ticket. The XS ticket is then printed with the expiry date corresponding to the expiry date of the original ticket, or the new ticket type based on the original start date.

So in the case of the OP even though the XS was done on the 12th June, the return portion would show a start date of 12th June (the date it was done) and an expiry date of 17th June, which matches the expiry date of the original ticket.

So:

If you had a CDR from A to B today, but upon arrival at B you wanted to change it to a SVR to start back from C the following day, you would do the XS as:
From A, To C. Select SVR. Select Excess. Select Over Distance. Select Return (as it is the return leg of the journey you are excessing). Input start date as todays date. The XS then prints as From C, To A, RTN, Start date 28th June, Expiry Date 27th July.

In the case of the OP:
I am assuming that you have a London to Weston Super Mare ticket, which the outward journey of which was the 18th May, so the return portion would be valid until the 17th June. You then go to Cardiff to XS this to start back from there instead.

In Avantix Mobile it would be:
From London, To Cardiff. Select SVR. Select Excess. Select XS type (probably over distance in this case). Select Return (as it is the return leg you are doing the XS for). Input start date as 18th May. the XS then prints as From Cardiff to London, RTN, Start date 12th June (the date the XS was done) Valid untill 17th June (the date the original ticket expires).

Status
Not open for further replies.