• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Off-peak return from Paddington to Yate: valid for a break of journey at Bristol Temple Meads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimini

Established Member
Morning all,

The title says it all really. On Thursday I've got a meeting near Yate so I've got a bog standard off-peak return. Journey planner suggests the best way to make this journey is via. Bristol Parkway, fine by me. I've got a bit of time to kill on the way back, and wondered if I can travel via. Temple Meads on the way back to London, and break my journey there for a couple of hours or so, have a mooch around the city etc.?

Thanks in advance as always for your expert knowledge!

-Jim.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Morning all,

The title says it all really. On Thursday I've got a meeting near Yate so I've got a bog standard off-peak return. Journey planner suggests the best way to make this journey is via. Bristol Parkway, fine by me. I've got a bit of time to kill on the way back, and wondered if I can travel via. Temple Meads on the way back to London, and break my journey there for a couple of hours or so, have a mooch around the city etc.?

-Jim.
Very few Off-Peak Returns have restrictions on break of journey, and this one is no different. You can break your journey as many times as you like whilst staying on a given permitted route for each leg of the ticket. In any case, at least up until recently the policy has been that break of journey is always allowed on the return portion of an Off-Peak Return.

Since Bristol Group is the appropriate destination Routeing Point for Yate, you can go via Bristol Temple Meads on either leg as far as I can tell; most journey planners will happily sell you an itinerary doing just that.

father_jack

Don't the time restrictions apply from the origin though, so if you were continuing from Temple Meads later it couldn't be while a SVR is invalid from Paddington ?

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Don't the time restrictions apply from the origin though, so if you were continuing from Temple Meads later it couldn't be while a SVR is invalid from Paddington ?

Generally, (at least in my experience, and I've just checked for London to Yate too), off peak returns between Paddington and the Bristol area tend to only have evening restrictions coming from Paddington. So heading back towards London, there will be no evening peak restriction and OP can get any train they like.

extendedpaul

Morning all,

-Jim.
In case you don't know - Bristol Temple Meads station is about a mile from most of the city centre. Part of the most direct route is along some poorly lit roads after dark.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Generally, (at least in my experience, and I've just checked for London to Yate too), off peak returns between Paddington and the Bristol area tend to only have evening restrictions coming from Paddington. So heading back towards London, there will be no evening peak restriction and OP can get any train they like.
Fares regulation (which we need to fight to keep!) prevent evening peak restrictions on regulated* fares out of anywhere other than from the London area (this does include Reading), they are certainly not allowed to have evening peak restrictions from Bristol.

(* Ok technically the Off Peak return isn't the regulated fare for this flow; the Super Off Peak is. However by definition the Off Peak Return cannot be more restrictive!)

father_jack

You are correct, I misread the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.