• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Off Peak Return with 16-25 Railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

snail

Established Member
I've been asked for advice on ticketing from Manchester to Lancaster but don't know the answer. But I said I know someone who would...

Journey:
Leave Manchester 1615 tomorrow, return from Lancaster on Tuesday.
- According to NRE, the fare is 11.55 and the earliest return train is the 0857, change at Preston.
- According to the Fast Ticket machine at Piccadilly (they tried to buy the ticket today, next day sales are available after 4pm), these tickets are not valid 'for journeys departing before 1000'.

The NRE restriction is the normal SVR for journeys to Manchester - trains departing after 0845. The TOD restriction sounds to me like it's linked to the minimum fare restriction (£12), but would that apply to a return journey?

Over to you...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
There is no time restriction on that ticket (8A; no break of journey outbound). But as you point out it would not be valid before 1000 M-F due to the minimum fare.

GadgetMan

Yep, the £12 minimum fare applies in either direction of travel, unless traveling before 10am at the weekend, on a holiday, or during July and August.

tony_mac

Established Member
after 0845 is for the off-peak day return - the off-peak return is valid at any time.

Yes, the railcard minimum fare applies to both legs.

Ticket machines generally don't seem to cope with the minimum fare very well.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
No matter which one is correct, if NRE is giving you that as a valid time for that ticket, then travel on that. If you are sold a ticket as being valid for a certain time, then regardless of the actual rules, it IS valid for that time (if not it would be in breach of numerous laws involving false advertising and consumer protection).

(at least that is my interpretation - and if I was sold a ticket on NRE as being valid for a certain time, I would take it as being valid for that time and not move an inch on that reasoning if I was challenged).

GadgetMan

I've been asked for advice on ticketing from Manchester to Lancaster but don't know the answer. But I said I know someone who would...

Journey:
Leave Manchester 1615 tomorrow, return from Lancaster on Tuesday.
- According to NRE, the fare is 11.55 and the earliest return train is the 0857, change at Preston.
- According to the Fast Ticket machine at Piccadilly (they tried to buy the ticket today, next day sales are available after 4pm), these tickets are not valid 'for journeys departing before 1000'.

The NRE restriction is the normal SVR for journeys to Manchester - trains departing after 0845. The TOD restriction sounds to me like it's linked to the minimum fare restriction (£12), but would that apply to a return journey?

Over to you...

I just put the same journey into NRE and it is correctly applying the minimum fare to the pre 10am departures.

Status
Not open for further replies.