• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Off-Peak Vs Anytime Fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Why do TOCs sometimes bother with off-peak fares? I don't know about other TOCs but for SWTs sometimes when I'm looking up a journey there can be less then £1 difference between the off-peak fare and the anytime fare!

Is it down to the relative loadings throughout the day?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'm glad when we have Peak/Off Peak differentials such as:

London Terminals - Manchester Anytime Return £332, Off Peak Return £82.40
Northampton - Euston Anytime Day Return £57.40, Off Peak Day Return £27.50
Dover Priory - St Pancras Anytime Return £84.10, Off Peak Return £41.30
Glasgow Queen St - Edinburgh Anytime Day Return £23.30, Off Peak Day Return £12.60

I'm sure others can come up with more examples.....

On longer distance routes the Off Peak Return is generally regulated and can only increase in price by a set amount each year. Greedy TOC's have taken it upon themselves to increase the cost of Anytime fares disproportionately as they know many travellers on log distance trains at 'peak' times are business travellers and will pay whatever it costs!

In the south east it's generally the Anytime Day Return that's regulated which limits the opportunity for large differences between the Anytime and Off Peak fares.

It's nothing to do with loadings - the basics of the fare structure was out in place when the railways were privatised. TOCs have pushed the boundaries since privatisation and I dread to think what some fares would be if regulation was scrapped.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Don't forget the power of a fee, even a small fee. 5p for carrier bags, an inconsiderable sum to most people, has significantly reduced their use.

Agent_c

In Glasgow the Anytime Single is usually more expensive than the off peak return, meaning if you ask for a single the staff will often sell you a return instead

amateur

On Moderation
In Glasgow the Anytime Single is usually more expensive than the off peak return, meaning if you ask for a single the staff will often sell you a return instead

Yeah but it means you can't travel before 9

rs101

For AGA, there are massive savings with off peak.
As an example. Manningtree to London return.

Anytime £54.30, Off Peak £27.70.

Status
Not open for further replies.