• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Off-Peak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suggs

Just a quick question as to the off-peak rules, I know Off-Peak is after 10am on weekdays, but do you buy your ticket depending if the train is departing or arriving after 10am? Just a bit confused because I got a 0930 train the other day and the gates at Charing Cross let me in at 1015.

Suggs

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
You buy for departing after the set time. The machines probably won't be intelligent enough to know when the earliest possible arrival is, so it'll probably just allow you through after 10am, although I could be wrong on that one!

paul1609

Established Member
On the ex Southern Region with a few exceptions off peak is defined as traveling on a train that is scheduled to arrive at/ depart from London or Brighton before 10.00 so if you arrive at 10.00 or later a off peak ticket is valid.

Suggs

so if you arrive at 10.00 or later a off peak ticket is valid

So basically, if I'm going into/through London, I can use a Cheap Day Return (Or whatever it is called nowadays) as long as arrive at 10am or later?

paul1609

Established Member
Yeah, from Chavham to london Victoria for instance you can use off peak day returns on the 09.07 train onwards and super off peak from 10.03 train onwards.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Off-peak is not necessarily after 10am. It depends on the individual journey. It may be more restrictive than that or it may be valid at any time.

Suggs

Doubt there'd be much call for it :( I myself am only a bursar on attachment atm, and other than the Sappers that play with trains there seems little interest in them.
As for the railcard, I still use my old YP whilst it's valid, as you get less aggro from ticket offices.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a quick question as to the off-peak rules,
There's hundreds of them (validity codes).
I know Off-Peak is after 10am on weekdays,
That is just one of the validity restrictions, and quite a rare one. Off peak can mean anything including valid at any time.
but do you buy your ticket depending if the train is departing or arriving after 10am?
Depends on the validity code.
Just a bit confused because I got a 0930 train the other day and the gates at Charing Cross let me in at 1015.

Suggs
Ticket gates are not always effective at enforcing peak restrictions. The restrictions are extremely complex but the magnetic strip only contains limited data.

16CSVT2700

Established Member
I found it quite handy that I can use a YP-enabled saver return on the 0815 Burnham-Paddington for connecting onto the 0930 St Pancras to Nottingham.
Certainly allows me more time in Nottingham with my friend :D

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I found it quite handy that I can use a YP-enabled saver return on the 0815 Burnham-Paddington for connecting onto the 0930 St Pancras to Nottingham.
Certainly allows me more time in Nottingham with my friend :D
Ah yes, valid after 0901 from STP and..

Off-Peak tickets for journeys
starting within the Network
Area to destinations outside
the Network Area with travel
via London are valid by any
train to London, to connect
with trains from London.

So you can get any train to Paddington. :)

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Yup, tho earliest train NRE/TTL will let me book is 0815. Well any earlier and I wouldn't have enough sleep!

Status
Not open for further replies.