• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Off track maintenance position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oatcake

Hi all,

Sorry that my first post on the rail forum is full of questions, I was lead here by an Internet search and thought it would be the perfect place to find such answers, hope that's ok :p

The story so far ... I applied for an off track maintenance position within my local area well over a month and a half ago and I was wondering if anyone should know if this is the normal procedure of the process?

Application received (instantly)
Application under review (instantly)
Invited for x2 tests (instantly)
Test submitted (instantly)
Test pass

And I am now at the stage of "application under consideration for assessment 2" and it's been like this since 11/8/2015, which is nearly a month and I was wondering if anyone has had the same experience as me or if this is indeed, a normal part of the process?

I have 5 years of rail experience, which was around 10 years ago now and I am hoping that this will give me a bit of an advantage over the other applicants who have applied for the same position.
Guess I should just cross my fingers and pray? ??????

Thanks all

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

woblynne

Hi, welcome to the forum!!

I have had a few applications through NR on the go and it can be a lengthy process. I also have an app that has been on the same status since that date (Off Track Stoke?).

From reading up in the archives it isn't unusual to have a wait between stages especially if you put your application in early in the process.

Good Luck with your app

Mark

Oatcake

Hi mark,
Firstly thank you for the warm welcome!! :)

Yes Mark, it was indeed for the stoke on Trent position. Network rail were looking to recruit x3 operatives for this position I believe?
It's nice to know that your application status is showing the same as mine, at least now I know that I haven't been forgotten :p

Fingers crossed it is then, and good luck with your application too my friend!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi, just an update on my application.
Unfortunately I Got an "unsuccessful pdf" email from network rail today. Absolute joke in my honest opinion given my work history and past rail industry experience. To not even be considered for an interview or to take part in "assessment 2" was a complete and utter disappointment, especially after waiting as long as I have done with no communication what so ever :|

Oatcake

Sorry to hear that mark.
I don't think the recruitment process is 100% authentic or fair to be honest with you. Oh well, on to the next... What can you do huh?
Shocking process

TomBoyd

I don't think the recruitment process is 100% authentic or fair to be honest with you.

Not quite sure how you got there to be honest. If it was in the external jobs list, it means it had already been advertised internally, unsuccessfully.

Invitation to assessment 2 pending means you're waiting to be interviewed by th line manager. I can only assume that you were sifted out by them via your on-paper strength.

How is your CV and Cover Letter?

Also bear in mind you don't know who else applied.

carriageline

Established Member
Unfortunately Tom is right.

Although, some jobs go straight to external, is the managers think there won't be enough internal interest. Unfortunately, there may of been a lot of internal interest and you will never know. Just keep trying, you will get there!!

Oatcake

Hi,
My cv is up to date, with good punctuation and grammar.
I have been trying very hard for over 1 year to get back into the rail industry, only to be pushed aside at the last minute.
I just think that if the job isn't even there to be offered, they simply shouldn't advertise it. I understand that all persons in charge have to seem like they're following all of the correct procedures, but if they're going to simply let a "friend" or an "internal" candidate get the vacancy, what's the point in advertising the vacancy in the first place?
Seriously, there is no way in a million years that my application should have been overlooked, without blowing my own trumpet!
It just sucks, big time.

Excuse the rant, I'm in a dead end job and I want out :|

Last edited:

TomBoyd

Hi,
My cv is up to date, with good punctuation and grammar.
I have been trying very hard for over 1 year to get back into the rail industry, only to be pushed aside at the last minute.
I just think that if the job isn't even there to be offered, they simply shouldn't advertise it. I understand that all persons in charge have to seem like they're following all of the correct procedures, but if they're going to simply let a "friend" or an "internal" candidate get the vacancy, what's the point in advertising the vacancy in the first place?
Seriously, there is no way in a million years that my application should have been overlooked, without blowing my own trumpet!
It just sucks, big time.

Excuse the rant, I'm in a dead end job and I want out :|

How about your cover letter?

I think part of what people have to realise now is that their applications aren't being read by dyed-in-the-wool, 20 year veteran railwaymen. They're being read by managers from a grad scheme, looking for certain things.

I think that this has its ups and downs, but will keep the nepotistic elements out.

I don't know why you think that some internal/friend candidate has got it, as there are a ton of other explanations.

Don't let it discourage you. This is a tough market, and a tough time, competition is high.

Status
Not open for further replies.