• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Official Hand-Book of Railway Stations: how do you tell which edition you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I recently got a copy of the Official Hand-Book of Railway Stations &c., published by the Railway Clearing House.

The people selling it said it was 1938 but I think it could be the 1925 edition.

Does anyone have the 1938 edition and if so, would they mind checking if reference is made to London Transport, in respect of tube lines, at the front and whether Lavant just has Goods listed as services avilable.

My copy mentions passengers, amongst others. The station closed to passengers but not goods, in 1935. London Transport came into being in 1932 I believe.

There is also reference to carriages by passenger train. Not sure if they mean horse drawn carriages or passenger carriages being added to trains. I think it could be the former.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
"Rich" people could arrange for their horse & carriage to be carried on passenger trains, with suitable vehicles to carry them. I think they also had space for a groom, who kept the horses fed & watered during the journey.

infobleep

Veteran Member
"Rich" people could arrange for their horse & carriage to be carried on passenger trains, with suitable vehicles to carry them. I think they also had space for a groom, who kept the horses fed & watered during the journey.
Thanks for this. I've dated my copy, , using R J Butt's book on passenger railway stations, to around 1927. It doesn't have stations opened in 1930 but it does have stations opened in 1927. Still more research to do

I thought there was a 1925 edition. Maybe there was but also other editions in between that and the 1938 edition too. I've got a 1956 edition due soon, which I recently purchase, in addition to this one.

leezer3

Sounds like the 1925 edition in that case to me :)
Remember that something printed and sold for years before an update would likely include upcoming stations (at time of composition) as current on the basis that for the majority of their life they would be so.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Sounds like the 1925 edition in that case to me :)
Remember that something printed and sold for years before an update would likely include upcoming stations (at time of composition) as current on the basis that for the majority of their life they would be so.
How interesting. I'd not thought of that.

Might make sense and it includes some that closed in 1927 but are shown as open.

Status
Not open for further replies.