• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Offline cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

tramdan

I have a contactless MasterCard Debit issued by Yorkshire Bank an it does not work offline when trying to purchase tickets on train. (Rather interestingly it is also rejected by the Northern TVM at Worksop yet works perfectly every where else - work that one out!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I have a contactless MasterCard Debit issued by Yorkshire Bank & rather interestingly it is rejected by the Northern TVM at Worksop yet works perfectly every where else - work that one out!

Probably because that TVM is an offline one or was temporarily offline when you used it?

Clip

Established Member
Ive never had any issue with my Metrobank card on anything. However they do do two types of Mastercard debit card one is a cash card and the other a proper fully functioning card but both do say debit above the mastercard sign and contactless on that one is very troublesome if it works at all.

Of course it all depends on whether the printer inside the branch has worked correctly too

tramdan

Probably because that TVM is an offline one or was temporarily offline when you used it?

It could quite possibly be that it is an offline TVM. It certainly hasn't worked on a good 4 or 5 separate times I've tried it since it was installed a while ago.

najaB

Veteran Member
It could quite possibly be that it is an offline TVM. It certainly hasn't worked on a good 4 or 5 separate times I've tried it since it was installed a while ago.
Does it allow collection of prebooked tickets? If not, that is more evidence that it is not connected to the network.

Harlesden

Ive never had any issue with my Metrobank card on anything. However they do do two types of Mastercard debit card one is a cash card and the other a proper fully functioning card but both do say debit above the mastercard sign and contactless on that one is very troublesome if it works at all.

Of course it all depends on whether the printer inside the branch has worked correctly too

Surely a bank printing Debit on a simple basic Cash Card is something that should be notified to the Financial Ombudsman on the grounds of misrepresentation. A Cash Card is most definitely not a debit card.

robbeech

Established Member
The machine at Worksop does allow collection of pre booked tickets. I collect nearly all of mine from there. I have also purchased them from there using a Debit mastercard without any issues at all. The plot Thickens.

Rob

island

Veteran Member
Surely a bank printing Debit on a simple basic Cash Card is something that should be notified to the Financial Ombudsman on the grounds of misrepresentation. A Cash Card is most definitely not a debit card.

This would not be eligible to be taken to the Financial Ombudsman (per FCA DISP handbook section 3.2.2R).

Clip

Established Member

No idea but island seems to have cleared that up.
Metro-Bank-MasterCard-Debit.jpg

They issue the cash cards with the same MC debit thing in the bottom right corner but in the top left it says cash card.

andrewkeith5

The offline limit was 20 pound, it increased to 30 pound in September.
https://www.finextra.com/news/fullstory.aspx?newsitemid=27786

The fact Metro create the card in branch could contribute; you might expect the machines to be more error prone than the industrial scale machines used by the companies printing is normally outsourced to.

The offline limit and the contactless limit are very different things! Although if you want contactless to work properly, the offline limit should be greater than the contactless limit.....

Status
Not open for further replies.