• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

OffPeak day return break on journey - confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

tankmc

Hi all, hope someone can help.

I have a off peak day return to London form Downham Market. If I get the 9.05 train all the way to London it's classed as peak. But if I get it just to Cambridge it's off peak. My idea is to then break my journey at Cambridge and get the stopping service from Cambridge which get me into London 20 minutes earlier and is classed as off peak .

Can I break my journey at Cambridge or will i be fined if I get checked because the first part of my journey is a peak train to London

Hope that makes sense.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Hi all, hope someone can help.

I have a off peak day return to London form Downham Market. If I get the 9.05 train all the way to London it's classed as peak. But if I get it just to Cambridge it's off peak. My idea is to then break my journey at Cambridge and get the stopping service from Cambridge which get me into London 20 minutes earlier and is classed as off peak .

Can I break my journey at Cambridge or will i be fined if I get checked because the first part of my journey is a peak train to London

Hope that makes sense.

There doesn't seem to be a 09.05 train from Downham Market. But the 09.11 and 08.41 direct trains are valid with an Off-Peak Day Return, which is also valid on any return train, even during the peak. Seems good value to me.

Edit: On those trains, you can split tickets at Cambridge to save just over £1 provided you're not returning in the afternoon peak:

Downham Market to Cambridge
Off-Peak Day Return £10.40
Route: ANY PERMITTED
Restriction Y4 applies

Cambridge to London Terminals
Off-Peak Day Return £24.20
Route: ANY PERMITTED
Restriction J8 applies

Last edited:

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I don't quite understand either. Is a Railcard involved?

In any case, the restriction on a Downham Market - London Terminals Off Peak Day Return is J8 for which the relevant part is:
Not valid on trains timed to
arrive at:
London Terminals after 04:29
and before 10:00
So for this ticket it is the scheduled arrival time in London that determines whether the ticket is valid - not the departure time or your immediate destination. If the train doesn't call in London, then there is no restriction (not applicable in this case though I think).

Status
Not open for further replies.