• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

OHLE 25kV or 750V DC third-rail

Have your say.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheSlash

Established Member
Well i have just seen sufficent evidence in a demonstration today that you need to make a good 'earth' when you touch the 3rd rail or it won't do anything. Somebody repeatedly belted the con rail with a spanner, deliberately.

Sprog

Established Member
TheSlash said:
Well i have just seen sufficent evidence in a demonstration today that you need to make a good 'earth' when you touch the 3rd rail or it won't do anything. Somebody repeatedly belted the con rail with a spanner, deliberately.

:lol: FUN! :scratch: :lol:

Dennis

Established Member
TheSlash said:

Should get a few chavs to try this, only make sure the juice is on!
:violent2:

NumptyDriver

Between chester and clitheroe, lime st and leeds.
in reply to theslash,

i too hold full AC and DC PTS, and regularly drive over / under both systems.

3rd rail is distinctly 'lo-tech'. the main day to day operational difference between the systems is that one slip can more easily be fatal in 3rd rail areas, ohle is out of the way. and ohle is more energy efficient, it's proven that high voltage/low(ish) current transmission is less 'lossy' than high current/low(ish) voltage. I too read papers and watch news, up here in the merseyrail third-rail area there are regular incidents. and dead badgers. maybe such incidents don't make the news down there.

roll on fuel cells.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
NumptyDriver said:
in reply to theslash,

i too hold full AC and DC PTS, and regularly drive over / under both systems.

3rd rail is distinctly 'lo-tech'. the main day to day operational difference between the systems is that one slip can more easily be fatal in 3rd rail areas, ohle is out of the way. and ohle is more energy efficient, it's proven that high voltage/low(ish) current transmission is less 'lossy' than high current/low(ish) voltage. I too read papers and watch news, up here in the merseyrail third-rail area there are regular incidents. and dead badgers. maybe such incidents don't make the news down there.

roll on fuel cells.

It doesn't make the news around Lancashire, so I don't think Southerner's will get it

uktrain225

OHLE are no limits.If it use third rail, it only supply DC.If the trainis AC motor,It have to use VVVF!If OHLE,it can supply DC or 25kV AC.so use OHLE is better.

Julian G

Established Member
OHLE is better than 3rd rail
Look at the examples of 1980 EMU
The pantograph produces a wonderful buzzing noise

Jordy

Established Member
Julian G said:
OHLE is better than 3rd rail
Look at the examples of 1980 EMU
The pantograph produces a wonderful buzzing noise

Hmmmm, wonderful :confused: ;)

Jordy

T

Tom

uktrain225 said:
OHLE are no limits.If it use third rail, it only supply DC.If the trainis AC motor,It have to use VVVF!If OHLE,it can supply DC or 25kV AC.so use OHLE is better.
Third rail CAN use AC.

O L Leigh

Established Member
tubechallenger said:
Third rail CAN use AC.

Indeed it can but, because there is effectively no current flowing at two points in the AC cycle, the peak voltage would need to be higher than 750V to give sufficiently high mean voltage to run a train. This in turn would lead to greater chance of short circuits with the CR so close to the ground and the running rails.

I would be interested to know whether there are any AC 3rd rail mainline systems anywhere in the world.

one TN

Julian G

Established Member
one TN said:
I would be interested to know whether there are any AC 3rd rail mainline systems anywhere in the world.

one TN
West London Line
North London Line

Status
Not open for further replies.