• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

OHLE down at Wolverton (again?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oversteer

Wires down on the fast lines, apparently a VT service less one pantograph, so VT running via Northampton, and resulting issues with all VT and LM services..

Some very delayed southbound services ! The 0605 from Liverpool just got in to Euston, 116 minutes late.

Anyone know if these services would be pick up only or could I use them on an any permitted ticket ?

@LondonMidland: "#Wolverton update 13: to help get you on your way, @virgintrains from Eus at xx.00, xx.07, xx.23, xx.30, xx.40 all calling Watfd, MK, Rugby"

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
Looks like 1R09 0627 Wolverhampton-London Euston has brought down the wires at 0738(ish) on the approach to Wolverton Platform 2. It's still there...

Goatboy

Established Member
Yet more OHLE issues. Should we really be so desperate to bring this sort of problem to the entire network at a cost of billions of pounds?

oversteer

What with Southern, SE and SWT all having third-rail pickup issues, now this OLE issue, it's not a good day for electric trains!

Still, at least the MML and ECML are OK *tempts fate*

tom1649

Yet more OHLE issues. Should we really be so desperate to bring this sort of problem to the entire network at a cost of billions of pounds?

Well hopefully the new stuff will be better put together.

YorkshireBear

Established Member

Electric trains don't break down as much so you could say that the problem is just different rather than making it worse...

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
Electric trains don't break down as much so you could say that the problem is just different rather than making it worse...

That does refer to an average. It doesn't mean a modern DMU is automatically less reliable than an old EMU because it's a DMU.

It does seem the two electrified mainlines (WCML and ECML) have frequent problems compared to electrified commuter routes like Manchester-Glossop/Hadfield and also HS1. I wonder if things can be done differently on the GWML and MML line to have less frequent electrical failures. Obviously, the ECML hasn't had the same level of investment as other lines but the WCML has had a lot of investment.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
That does refer to an average. It doesn't mean a modern DMU is automatically less reliable than an old EMU because it's a DMU.

It does seem the two electrified mainlines (WCML and ECML) have frequent problems compared to electrified commuter routes like Manchester-Glossop/Hadfield and also HS1. I wonder if things can be done differently on the GWML and MML line to have less frequent electrical failures. Obviously, the ECML hasn't had the same level of investment as other lines but the WCML has had a lot of investment.

Well yes i just mean generally. So electrification does have benefits especially when electrifying routes with least reliable units in the country (142s). Ie across the north.

It can only be hoped the newer stuff doesn't come down easily...

ushawk

Established Member

You cant compare the WCML to commuter routes in the Manchester area - the WCML is a lot more extensively used.

OHLE on HS1 is more robust as well because of the higher speeds and is probably maintained a lot more too.

Crossover

Established Member
So maybe it isn't just the ECML that suffers after all. I have to say, having seen the thread title, I wondered if it was the thread from the other week, as the dewirement this time can't be far from the last!

There again, with the WCML, it seems to be "pockets" of problems. Wolverton being one and the line through Penkridge managed to dewire itself a couple of times in quick succession last year as well.

At least on this occasion, the slows are still open, as I think the dewirement the other week closed all 4 lines for a while, didn't it?

pemma

Veteran Member
You cant compare the WCML to commuter routes in the Manchester area - the WCML is a lot more extensively used.

The WCML should of course allow for being more intensively used and also has quadruple track for much of it.

The single track section at Glossop actually sees 4tph, while at Stockport the WCML sees 3 electric tph on the line through platform 2 (all Virgin) and 3 electric tph (all Northern) on the line through platform 1.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Looks like 1R09 0627 Wolverhampton-London Euston has brought down the wires at 0738(ish) on the approach to Wolverton Platform 2. It's still there...

This is one of those WCML locations with 125mph EPS round reverse curves on full tilt.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Disruption ongoing due to OHLE issues from this morning, person reported as having been hit by a train at Bletchley in the last few minutes.:cry:

londonmidland

Established Member
From NRE:

"A person has been hit by a train between Cheddington and Leighton Buzzard.
Because of this, there are delays of up to 60 minutes between London Euston / Clapham Junction and Bletchley. These delays will continue until further notice."

Not looking good...

GB

Established Member
1T18 at Denbigh Hall Jn apparently. Working on getting fast lines opened.

tsr

Established Member
Despite the fact this was sadly a fatal incident, all involved have done very well in service recovery - 1T18 is now on the move. I expect following services to resume shortly.

jon91

The WCML should of course allow for being more intensively used and also has quadruple track for much of it.

You're comparing a relatively slow speed commuter route with a 125 mph main line, the forces on the contact wire from an incorrectly set up or damaged pantograph at 125 mph will be much higher than your little EMU pootling down the line to Glossop.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
At 2300 Monday this is what it still says on NRE (it's been there all day):
Due to the amount of work needed to repair the damage, it's currently unclear how long this disruption will last, but current estimates are that it may take most of today - please check back later for further updates

Still no advice on what is happening tomorrow.
Amid the various Twitter updates there are "line cleared" messages, but this might only relate to the Bletchley problems, not the Wolverton dewirement.
Huge VT delays continue (90-120 minutes common).
Reporting not very helpful.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
You're comparing a relatively slow speed commuter route with a 125 mph main line, the forces on the contact wire from an incorrectly set up or damaged pantograph at 125 mph will be much higher than your little EMU pootling down the line to Glossop.

:o Rude, actually!!!

jon91

I'm waiting for the LNW sectional appendix to be thrown at me... <D

I don't have anything against said EMUs, honest guv'nor.

HSTEd

Veteran Member

Because diesel powered trains never fail.... ever?

I would like to see some sort of analysis of the number of problem free running miles obtained on an electric railway compared to a diesel one.

Then I would like to see a relative costing taking into account the numerous maintenance and operational advantages of electric over diesel.

MK Tom

Established Member
I've lost count of the number of times I've suffered WCML disruption due to broken down class 66s, Voyagers or older freight locos. Voyagers have a, ahem, track record of doing little things like ingesting water through their exhaust vents, or catching fire.

Everybody on here knows the advantages of electric traction around operating costs, track wear, reliability and so on. Not to mention the problems with diesel fumes at enclosed stations. Ever walked out of the underground at Marylebone and been hit in the face by that smell? I'd be interested to know if travelling from Marylebone causes a higher occurrence of respiratory disorders.

OHLE problems on the WCML do usually happen in the same places and there may be a need to reintroduce a 110mph speed limit over locations like this just to prevent this sort of thing happening. But that would have obvious impacts not just on journey times but on the entire timetable for all services.

Status
Not open for further replies.