• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

OHLE in Gloucestershire?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
Having seen a few references to SABRE, CBRD and others on here of late, I decided to have a look on one of my favourite websites, Pathetic Motorways. In particular, I had a look at its detail of the M96, which is surely Britain's quietest motorway. Why is it so quiet? Because it's closed to the public! It is part of Moreton-in-Marsh's famous Fire Service College. So I decided to flick through the site's photographs relating to the FSC, and took great interest in the last one, because...

Is it me, or is there OHLE in this photograph? Does Gloucestershire really have a stretch (albeit a very short one, maybe 50 metres!) of electrified railway?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Judging from the fact that there are Virgin liveried vehicles on that track I would say that it's some sort of mock up for training purposes, presumably for the Fire Service.

Ivo

Established Member
It is a training centre, and there are railway facilities (a level crossing for instance), but it's just surprising to actually see the catenary! All the same, I don't suppose an IEP will be going down there any time soon.

dggar

Would they have the wires there so the fire service can do more realistic training (safely manouvering ladders etc.)

nlogax

Established Member
"This totally unique facility includes a section of 'permanent way' complete with rail lines, third rail, OLE electrification and a rail platform. There are also a locomotive and several different carriages on a real track. The carriages have cold smoke generating capability for search and rescue exercises. The facility can also be used to simulate most rail incidents, including level crossing failure and accidents."

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk/facilities.aspx

sprinterguy

Established Member
Interesting to see the Pendolino coaches "buffered up" to the DVT. Like some peculiar alternate loco-hauled version of Pendolino.

But yes, Moreton-in-Marsh has had OHLE in place for years to allow for completely accurate depiction of an emergency situation on an electrified rail line, for training purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.