• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old and new bashing trips by Cowley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dhassell

Haha, Hope you had a good day Mr C! And yes, hopefully our next interaction is more than 2.5 seconds! I had the same little chat with the bloke restoring the 24 wheels as well! :p I also did think the class 45 was a bit quiet!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Haha, Hope you had a good day Mr C! And yes, hopefully our next interaction is more than 2.5 seconds! I had the same little chat with the bloke restoring the 24 wheels as well! :p I also did think the class 45 was a bit quiet!

It's a good railway isn't it? I'm looking forward to going when they run through to Broadway. I assume they might need an extra set of coaches then? I went over Stanway viaduct a couple of years ago during a steam gala and it's very impressive.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Enjoyable day out there indeed, thats another line on my list, maybe a joint visit next time I make it down that way? Impressed that despite being a good way from home and deprived of your much loved van thrash you still had a screwdriver on you! I can only assume with you own vehicle safely docked at home you had brought it as a makeshift bottle opener as well as a means or fixing trains?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds like a really enjoyable day, I haven't experienced the racket through Greet Tunnel in many years but it sounds like it's just as good as it was back then. One day I'll go back, as I need the 24.

The 45 is also required, but it sounds like one I'll not rush for. Maybe it's just a 45/1 thing, the 45/0s I had on the SVR earlier this year were proper noisy!

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
What a great thread - only just discovered it. I started serious spotting April 1970. Done multiple railrovers - a 14 day one as a reward when I got my first BSc degree in Chemistry. I will add to this thread and do a better write up. Last loco was 08663 off Landore which I saw July 25th 1976. It was on number 1 target point Swansea East Docks. My biggest embarrassment was my 2nd to last loco - (most people found them ridiculously easy) 47420 seen on Doncaster station July 24th 1976. Brilliant memories. I used to do Day Wayfarer tickets in the Manchester area - bashing the class 45/46s/47s Man Vic to Stalybridge and the class 31s Man Picc -Oxford Rd and the 86/87s Man Picc - Stockport or occasionally to Wilmslow . As I said, brilliant memories.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
BT - You should come down next year when the line's extended, that'd be good. It wasn't my screwdriver it was his. It was the least he could do.

Tech - I didn't do the 45 at the SVR gala but you're right, it did sound good. I remember reading about them rebuilding 45149 silencer in Railways Illustrated a few years ago. Clearly they did a good job!

Gralistair - Thanks for that. I and I'm sure plenty of others would love to hear about those trips, it's before my own bashing and spotting days but that makes it all the more interesting.
Please do. :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The Mid Hants 15/10/2017

IMG_3923.JPG

The Railway...

It's what I call 'The Railway' whenever I mention it to anyone in conversation, I've always called it that as I spent much of my time up there when I was younger, unfortunately not so much since I've had children though, except for the odd diesel gala or visits to see friends.
I went up on the Friday night with the Black and White hairy guy to stay in the van at my friend Mikes place. On the way though I stopped off in Winchester to catch up with another friend - Chris, who along with Mike were among the few paid staff at the railway in the early 90s. Chris ran the shops as a paid job and also voluntarily did railway archiving as well as guard/shunter/signalling duties.
Mike was in charge of special events and various other things.

The first time I went there to stay my mum dumped an 18 year old me plus tent, camping cooker and various tins of beans etc in Ropley station picnic site before hot footing it back to Devon as fast as her VW Polo would take her before I had second thoughts.

Chris and Mike were the first people I got to know properly, Mike lived in a little blue gypsy caravan near me on the picnic site and Chris lived in an old LMS coach in the siding that runs alongside the running line towards Alton.

It was an amazing time and an amazing summer. The railway came close to bankruptcy around then (and when I say close I really do mean close - one phone call away) and survived by the skin of its teeth although some of the payed staff had to be made redundant. The Swanage Railway was also in a serious financial situation at the time yet both railways weathered the storm and although the Swanage line is understandably in the spotlight at the moment both lines have much to be proud of.

After a great catch up on Friday night we took the dogs for a walk around the woods in the morning before I bade Mike farewell and drove from his (he lives quite near the line near Ropley) down to Alresford to wedge the van into a car space which I somehow managed to do.
I saw that the Black 5 45379 and the Thumper unit were out so I purchased a ticket and was given a free ticket for the dog with his name on it too! Probably in case he tried to transfer it to a Jack Russell called Russell or something... ;)

After chatting to a few members of staff around Alresford I took the Black 5 up to Ropley and it was making a great sound on the climb.

Black 5 and 9F Ropley.
IMG_3931.JPG

I decided that I'd have a look around the sheds and then do the rest of the line on the Thumper later, mainly because I wanted to experience the classic Hampshire Unit over 'The Alps' and also because I knew it would be quieter - the steam was busy and having the hairy guy with me forces me to talk to everyone as he puts his head on their knees and fixes them with a stare so strong that it looks like steam's going to start coming out of his ears, and then when he's got them stroking him he turns his stare on me as if to say "Is this ok? Look I've caught myself a human".
I'm not unsociable but sometimes it can get slightly irritating.

Er where was I?

Yes, I remember.
I took a clip of the steam leaving Ropley (sounded wonderful) from the bridge that used to be at Kings Cross, it's a great vantage point and I could see 03197 underneath plus 33202 in the headshunt (I'd seen 33053 at Alresford earlier too), it's the diesel gala next weekend hence the unusual sight of an 03 at Ropley...

IMG_3934.JPG
I watched the guys that were working on the boiler of S15 30499 for a bit - this was a loco that I 'discovered' tucked away in the very end of the headshunt at Alresford one day in about 1992, I had no idea that it was there and it was like finding an engine in a secret garden, it had saplings growing through it and also through the track in front of it. 30499 had been rescued from Barry as spares for 30506 and now finally is being restored, over fifty years since it last ran.

While on the subject of 'no hopers' then: 27007.
I had many a cab ride on this loco and I loved it. One of the first times I visited the railway in about 1988 it was being worked on in the yard after suffering fire damage in Ropley shed, my stepbrother and me spent an afternoon scraping fire damaged paint off the inside of it, a few years later it was in service and painted in all over green with tablet catchers on the cabsides. We were proud of it and it took the strain off 25067 which had seen a lot of use during one of the hot summers when steam had become highly restricted due to fire risk.

I was surprised to find 27007 on full resplendent display in the middle of the shed yard. At least what's left of it...

IMG_3962.JPG IMG_3957.JPG
It looks like someone started scrapping it and then got bored and went off to cut up something easier. Shocking really. Apparently someone has bought it with a plan to restore it but whoever it is has got a massive job on their hands. The roof is mainly missing as are most of the cabs and one side of the body, it hasn't even been sheeted over.
I found it quite a depressing sight really and after chatting for a bit to a bloke called Bob from Bodmin I moved on.

The rest of the trip to Alton and back was on the Thumper which was a treat. 1125 was actually in service on the line during the last day of BR operation in February 1973. It's in BR green now and looks and sounds great.

1125 rolling into Ropley, Alton bound.

IMG_3975.JPG

It was nice and quiet (well 205025 wasn't ;)), the dog befriended the ticket collector (a retired army chap with a pocket full of dog treats), but he embarrassed himself by drooling on the floor.
The Thumper made a fantastic noise up Medstead Bank, it bought back memories of having them on the mainline.

I'm trying to imagine that they were unloading watercress in 1965 here.
IMG_4005.JPG

I noticed a few things on this visit.
It was very relaxing, the staff were all friendly and chatty.
The line has a smarter look than it did. It's looking good and more fresh than it used to. In a way it seems more finished. It'll obviously never extend and at ten miles is probably the optimum length for a preserved line.
It now seems to be making the best of what it has although space for stock/buildings has and will always be a problem.
Ropley has really improved. The walk around the sheds on the new bridge is excellent and gives a great view of the activity in the yard. The sheds are all painted up nicely and the end of the shed has a building based on the one at Eastleigh which looks great. Certainly a step up from the old 'Ropley Manor'.
The new platform building on the up side is fantastic too.

I enjoyed the visit. Probably should get up there a bit more often really.

Thanks for reading. :smile:

IMG_3925.JPG

Last edited:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I really enjoyed reading that Mr C, and great pictures too! Sad about the 27 though, that fire was a good few years ago now wasn't it? My one and only visit to the Mid Hants was back in the summer of 1991 (I think) recall there was a visiting class 59 on display at Ropley then. Those were the days when you travelled down from Waterloo to Alton on a 4-VEP.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I really enjoyed reading that Mr C, and great pictures too! Sad about the 27 though, that fire was a good few years ago now wasn't it? My one and only visit to the Mid Hants was back in the summer of 1991 (I think) recall there was a visiting class 59 on display at Ropley then. Those were the days when you travelled down from Waterloo to Alton on a 4-VEP.

Thanks Mr Bridge. Yes the fire in the shed was in about 1986 I think, caused by something like a faulty battery charger.
I remember a 59 visiting the railway around then, I don't remember seeing it so maybe it was just before I turned up for the summer and as you say VEPs galore on the BR side, there used to be oil tanks that ran round at Alton too, 37 hauled usually I think.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like a fun time with the hound. Shame about the 27 too - they are such good locos.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks fq and Mr9. It's a good railway, it used to have a bit of a bad reputation partly due to them washing their dirty laundry in public at times, but it all seems like pretty calm waters these days.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
It almost broke my heart to see that 27 like that. It's going to take a lot of hard work (and deep pockets) to get that into reasonable condition. :(

Some nice shots there, though - if it wasn't for the bloke in the polo shirt, the B&W photograph could almost have been taken back in the day!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It almost broke my heart to see that 27 like that. It's going to take a lot of hard work (and deep pockets) to get that into reasonable condition. :(

Some nice shots there, though - if it wasn't for the bloke in the polo shirt, the B&W photograph could almost have been taken back in the day!

Hahaha :lol:.
Gus, that bloke in the polo shirt was a time traveller sent from modern times to tell us not to stop sending watercress by rail.
Unfortunately while he was in 1965 he went on a date with his own mother hence the mess we're all in now...

Oh and you're right about the 27 which is why I've put your name down to finance the first phase of repairs.
GusB,
Scotland,
The UK.

That's right isn't it?

Far north 37

Established Member
god that 27 looks in a terrible state working in the fabrication industry myself that looks like a total new outer rebuild not sure what the frames are like either but i imagine they cant be great either your probably talking a new loco by the time your done structure wise

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Hahaha :lol:.
Gus, that bloke in the polo shirt was a time traveller sent from modern times to tell us not to stop sending watercress by rail.
Unfortunately while he was in 1965 he went on a date with his own mother hence the mess we're all in now...

Oh and you're right about the 27 which is why I've put your name down to finance the first phase of repairs.
GusB,
Scotland,
The UK.

That's right isn't it?
I have the first phase of repairs planned. Just need to borrow some of my nephew's Lego :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I have the first phase of repairs planned. Just need to borrow some of my nephew's Lego :)

No need Gus. I've now signed Far north 37 - address:
Far North,
Scotland (I'm getting good at this),
Metal Fabrication Co LTD (ex BR Scottish locomotives a speciality)
To the cause.

He starts next week.

Far north 37

Established Member
god that 27 looks in a terrible state working in the fabrication industry myself that looks like a total new outer rebuild not sure what the frames are like either but i imagine they cant be great either your probably talking a new loco by the time your done
No need Gus. I've now signed Far north 37 - address:
Far North,
Scotland (I'm getting good at this),
Metal Fabrication Co LTD (ex BR Scottish locomotives a speciality)
To the cause.

He starts next week.
haha if i only i had the time and materials but seriously seen locos scrapped in a lot better condition than that looks like a lot of work money and material to even get a start on that there shame as 27007 was an old inverness loco too

Established Member
Oh wow,
2 corkers there Cowley, 2 brilliant reads, with some excellent pics. The pics of the 26 and 37215 are very nice indeed but the one of the 47 and 24 in the shed, is brilliant.
Some quality locos on there too and they look like they're well looked after too. I find pics of rotting locos very distressing, unless its a wagon ofcourse, its like someone's trying to eradicate my memories of a special time in this hobby. So its a huge shame that 27007 cuts such a forlorn figure.
a Thumper is on the Railway Bucket list, only seen videos of them in service and preserved lines, I love the sound of them.
03197 looks pristine, sure that was one of Crown Points, I vaguely remember copping that, whilst on a coach trip round Anglia. Was that the one was at Bounds Green or Hornsey, that may have been 03179, was named "Clive"?

Sounded like a brilliant day, sure the mid hants evoked a lot more memories too.

Far north 37

Established Member
Oh wow,
2 corkers there Cowley, 2 brilliant reads, with some excellent pics. The pics of the 26 and 37215 are very nice indeed but the one of the 47 and 24 in the shed, is brilliant.
Some quality locos on there too and they look like they're well looked after too. I find pics of rotting locos very distressing, unless its a wagon ofcourse, its like someone's trying to eradicate my memories of a special time in this hobby. So its a huge shame that 27007 cuts such a forlorn figure.
a Thumper is on the Railway Bucket list, only seen videos of them in service and preserved lines, I love the sound of them.
03197 looks pristine, sure that was one of Crown Points, I vaguely remember copping that, whilst on a coach trip round Anglia. Was that the one was at Bounds Green or Hornsey, that may have been 03179, was named "Clive"?

Sounded like a brilliant day, sure the mid hants evoked a lot more memories too.
think it was 03179 that was at hornsey think it was one of the ones from the isle of wight was 03079 the other one if iirc.
37215 looks a lot better than the last time i seen it when it was taken up as a christmas tree loco from canton to inverness and was sat outside the shed then the scrapline for years

Last edited:

AJM580

03197 was a Crown Point machine. They were mainly station pilots until withdrawal in 1987

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Oh wow,

Thanks mate much appreciated as always.
It's easier putting photos on here now when you you write a trip up.
Thumpers are fun, I reckon you'd like them.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
03197 was a Crown Point machine. They were mainly station pilots until withdrawal in 1987

Was that one of the ones that ended up dumped at March in the 80s then AJM?

AJM580

I don't think so AFAIK the ones there were 03084, 03158, 03189 and 03112. I have a record of 03197 on Crown Point Shed on 21.4.87, and at Crown Point Open day in May 87. By the way another ex NC 03 that survives is 03180, It's at Peak Rail and still has an NR shed sticker

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don't think so AFAIK the ones there were 03084, 03158, 03189 and 03112. I have a record of 03197 on Crown Point Shed on 21.4.87, but it had gone by the end of May 87. By the way another ex NC 03 that survives is 03180, It's at Peak Rail and still has an NR shed sticker

Ah thanks for that. :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Diesel gala this weekend Tech... ;)

Interesting, I will have to mention this to Kite and see if he's interested. Mind you, that Spa Valley gala would also be fun, flagged that recently due to wanting a red pen fest in London. We'll see what happens...

Status
Not open for further replies.