• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old and new bashing trips by Cowley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Cheers for the gen there, now Gotherington is definitely available as well as the extension, I'll have to get over there. Need 37248, 73129 and 45149 as well as their DMUs!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Had an interesting afternoon at Ruddington on the GCRN today. We were up visiting family and just popped in to have a quick look and actually ended up spending a good couple of hours there.
As we were walking from the van I heard the unmistakable sound of a 37 revving up and walked around the corner to be confronted with 37009 pelting up and down the platform whilst on test, it was looking a bit unfinished here and there but it certainly sounded nice.

Unfortunately the train service was cancelled as the 8F had broken a spring that morning so we settled for a walk around instead.
The bus museum was open and one of the friendly chaps there took the time to show us around and explain what vehicles they had and the work they were doing. I remembered the old Barton liveried coaches from my childhood and I loved the smell of the old interiors.

Afterwards we had a look in the model railway building - two impressive railways, one 0 gauge, one 00 plus a Thomas set up.
We had a go on the half mile long miniature railway next which unfortunately was the only bashing to be had today, to be fair the thrash from a 3hp miniature class 20 on load five wasn't quite up there with the real thing but it was quite good fun.

On site (that I could see) diesel wise were 37009, 46010 (tarped over), 56097 and the prototype HST which looked superb.

Anyway here's a few photos including one of the mighty 3hp Chopper. Feel the power! :D

Attachments

• IMG_0827.jpg
    IMG_0827.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0834.jpg
    IMG_0834.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0826.jpg
    IMG_0826.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0828.jpg
    IMG_0828.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0825.jpg
    IMG_0825.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Had an interesting afternoon at Ruddington on the GCRN today. We were up visiting family and just popped in to have a quick look and actually ended up spending a good couple of hours there.
As we were walking from the van I heard the unmistakable sound of a 37 revving up and walked around the corner to be confronted with 37009 pelting up and down the platform whilst on test, it was looking a bit unfinished here and there but it certainly sounded nice.

Unfortunately the train service was cancelled as the 8F had broken a spring that morning so we settled for a walk around instead.
The bus museum was open and one of the friendly chaps there took the time to show us around and explain what vehicles they had and the work they were doing. I remembered the old Barton liveried coaches from my childhood and I loved the smell of the old interiors.

Afterwards we had a look in the model railway building - two impressive railways, one 0 gauge, one 00 plus a Thomas set up.
We had a go on the half mile long miniature railway next which unfortunately was the only bashing to be had today, to be fair the thrash from a 3hp miniature class 20 on load five wasn't quite up there with the real thing but it was quite good fun.

On site (that I could see) diesel wise were 37009, 46010 (tarped over), 56097 and the prototype HST which looked superb.

Anyway here's a few photos including one of the mighty 3hp Chopper. Feel the power! :D

An enjoyable little read there, and thanks for reminding me about Barton buses/coaches as for me that immediately conjures up memories of spotting trips to Toton around 1973-75, 08:01 Manchester Picc to St. Pancras (class 45 & 8/9? Mk1s) change at Chesterfield for another Peak hauled service to Nottingham, then a Barton coach to Toton, although even then it was a somewhat more modern vehicle than that double decker in your shot.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
46010, wasn't that once on the Llangollen Railway?

37009 is most needed for me, as is the 56. One must keep track of the galas next year...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks guys.

Tech - I need all three of them too and yes the 46 used to be at Llangollen. I'm going to try and do a diesel gala up there soon as they've got other stuff up there too that I require.

Mr Bridge - I don't know why I didn't take a photo of the Bartons coach, it was exactly like the ones I used to get with my gran when we were up staying in Nottingham and probably the same as the ones you got too. I'll try and find a photo of it when I've finished writing. Just got back to Exeter after a very slow trip down the M5.

A couple of other things to say. Rushcliffe country park is right next to the railway and I've always visited it with the kids and my cousins kids when we've been up, I was there one day with my daughter who was probably about 3 at the time (she's 15 now) when I heard a class 50 and 50007 appeared top and tail with 37075 (required at the time). "Right, playtime's over love, we've got a train to catch" said I and we legged it to the station and enjoyed not a small amount of thrash to Loughborough and back.

This time we all (5 adults, 2 children, 1 dog) spent a lovely late afternoon wandering around the park and someone told us there was a dog agility course in the park which we found and after doing it a few times with the dog we all ended up timing each other doing it!
I had the winning time of 53 seconds until just as we left my 15 year old stepson beat me with a 51 second time. I took losing well though, sometimes you've got to step aside and let the next generation take over. I don't know why I got onto this? Oh yeah. If you're ever up there check the park out it's lovely. :D

Cheers

(Not my photo)

Attachments

• IMG_0851.JPG
    IMG_0851.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds hellfire! I haven't heard a tractor in a while so hearing 009 would've been nice.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Thanks guys.

Tech - I need all three of them too and yes the 46 used to be at Llangollen. I'm going to try and do a diesel gala up there soon as they've got other stuff up there too that I require.

Mr Bridge - I don't know why I didn't take a photo of the Bartons coach, it was exactly like the ones I used to get with my gran when we were up staying in Nottingham and probably the same as the ones you got too. I'll try and find a photo of it when I've finished writing. Just got back to Exeter after a very slow trip down the M5.

A couple of other things to say. Rushcliffe country park is right next to the railway and I've always visited it with the kids and my cousins kids when we've been up, I was there one day with my daughter who was probably about 3 at the time (she's 15 now) when I heard a class 50 and 50007 appeared top and tail with 37075 (required at the time). "Right, playtime's over love, we've got a train to catch" said I and we legged it to the station and enjoyed not a small amount of thrash to Loughborough and back.

This time we all (5 adults, 2 children, 1 dog) spent a lovely late afternoon wandering around the park and someone told us there was a dog agility course in the park which we found and after doing it a few times with the dog we all ended up timing each other doing it!
I had the winning time of 53 seconds until just as we left my 15 year old stepson beat me with a 51 second time. I took losing well though, sometimes you've got to step aside and let the next generation take over. I don't know why I got onto this? Oh yeah. If you're ever up there check the park out it's lovely. :D

Cheers

I'm no bus or coach recognition expert but that looks exactly the type I remember, blimey that really takes me back to my teens, many thanks for posting this :D

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm no bus or coach recognition expert but that looks exactly the type I remember, blimey that really takes me back to my teens, many thanks for posting this :D

Me too (although I was a bit younger), in my imagination I could hear my Gran calling the bus driver "me duck" when we got on, we used the Bartons because they were a bit posher and quicker I think.

AJM580

Nice pictures - love the Midland General Bristol MW. 37009 is dud, thanks to a spin from Newport to Cardiff in 1991 as are all the others, but I'd still like to get to Ruddington again

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looks like I may have a loco hauled Taunton to Cardiff service starting nearby in the not too distant future I think Mrs Cowley and I may have a couple of days out in Wales soon...

Maybe I'll meet the odd person from here on there? I'm a bit scared to ask the question on the thread about this but will the stock be part of the Pretendalino set does anyone know?

Cheers guys.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Looks like I may have a loco hauled Taunton to Cardiff service starting nearby in the not too distant future I think Mrs Cowley and I may have a couple of days out in Wales soon...

Maybe I'll meet the odd person from here on there? I'm a bit scared to ask the question on the thread about this but will the stock be part of the Pretendalino set does anyone know?

Cheers guys.

Not an earthly chance...more like a dragged 442 ;) :D

I'll probably live to regret saying that.

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
I'm a bit scared to ask the question on the thread about this but will the stock be part of the Pretendalino set does anyone know?
The Pretendolino set is to be used (split in two) for driver training on class 68s at TPE as far as has been reported.

Established Member
It's both, as I understand it.
It's currently being refurbished but will then be split in two and used on TPE for crew training and ad hoc passenger turns when/if they're are short of stock.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ok thanks for that. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

djpontrack

Hi Cowley. I like your photo of 37009. I've only had it for haulage once and that was from Bristol TM to Cardiff Cent on the 9th of Aug 1991. Nice to see it again. Thanks.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Nice one djpontrack. I've never had that one either.
I've only got an iPhone and no proper computer at the moment but the camera on the iPhone sometimes takes quite good pictures really.

AJM580

Hi Cowley. I like your photo of 37009. I've only had it for haulage once and that was from Bristol TM to Cardiff Cent on the 9th of Aug 1991. Nice to see it again. Thanks.

We may well have been on the same train as I had it on the same day!!! I jumped on at Newport off an HST, As I recall it was a Weymouth - Cardiff trip that was usually booked for a class 47, (nearly always 47381 in the week I was there)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We may well have been on the same train as I had it on the same day!!! I jumped on at Newport off an HST, As I recall it was a Weymouth - Cardiff trip that was usually booked for a class 47, (nearly always 47381 in the week I was there)

I had 47381 on that! Not sure of the date but I had it from Bath to Bristol then I headed home and managed to get 47258 from Exeter Central to St Davids on the same day. Didn't get 37009 though mores the pity. Split box 37s were quite unusual down our way until the late 80s/early 90s from what I remember.

Edit. Just checked it was 22/07/91 that I had 47381, but as I remember it hung around for a while on that turn.
Actually on the 9th August 1991 after looking in my little book I realised that on that day I was operating the buffet on one of the Mid Hants trains and after the USA S160 failed at Medstead, John Bunch turned up to rescue us with 25067. The speed he reached going down the bank towards Alton will never appear in writing from me, but I know what it was as my friend was shunter that day and was in the back cab watching (slightly horrified) the speedo climb up and up.
All the tins of beer were falling off my shelves along with sandwiches falling out of their display case. You couldn't have walked through the train without falling over. It remains the fastest I've ever been behind a 25... :D

Last edited:

djpontrack

I had 47381 from Dorchester West to Bristol TM then 37009 to Cardiff Cent on that date. I've just had a look at that month on Railmiles and I had quite a few miles on non eth locos.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It was an interesting time. A bit of an Indian summer for a lot of loco hauled trains

djpontrack

It certainly was an interesting time Cowley. These days I tend to be on Northern units or getting some 37 thrash in Cumbria.

djpontrack

No problem Techniquest. Just go onto the Railmiles league and I am currently at a very lowly 96 place. Just ask if you want to know anything.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
South Devon Railway diesel gala - Sunday 6th November

Yes it was a day out on the local SDR today. A line that has much improved over the years since I first went on it in the early 80s.
It was always the poor relation to the Torbay and Dartmouth when they were both owned by the same company but had the potential to be better with more caring management and eventually when the company's went their separate ways the SDR really started to flourish.

Over the years the railway has had a fair few diesels based there including D1023 Western Fusilier, 20110, 20118 which have all now moved on. Currently based there are 04 - D2246, 09010, 25262/(25901), 25191 (under restoration), 33002, 37037 (under repair), 37275, 50002 (under restoration) plus Bubble car 55000 which was in grey undercoat and I'm not sure if it was used over the weekend.
So basically the locos running were the shunters (which I missed) 25262, 33002, 37275 and guest loco 24081. Not a bad little line up really. Pretty damn cold though, with no heating on any of the trains... :|

So the day started off with a bit of a farce. We left Buckfastleigh behind the 37 for a very slow plod towards Staverton which for those that haven't been on the line before is the only intermediate station on the line and is a bit of a gem.
The driver seemed quite scared of the loud handle and after a few minutes I opted to sit down and talk to my friends as it was cold and tame outside.

On the Buckfastleigh (careful how you say that when your teeth are chattering) side of Staverton is the only passing place on the 7ish mile line and we pulled into the loop to pass the pointless goods train hauled by 33002 (actually D6501 in green with no yellow panels), only it didn't pass us, it stopped next to us and reversed back into the sidings on the Buckfastleigh end of the station taking about twenty minutes to perform the operation and thus making the entire timetable for the rest of the day late.
Still, the good bit of this was an enraged 37 driver suddenly realising that it was time to kick some proverbial arse! <D
A very noisy run from Staverton to Totnes ensued and it was time to change ends (after watching 2 66s on a RHTT go past on the mainline) and sample 24081 back to Staverton to hop off and get 25262 (actually D7612 in green but it's easier this way) back up to Totnes.
That was the plan but we were so engrossed in chatting that we forgot to get off. No great hardship though as the 24 sounded damn fine chattering along the river in the fine Autumn sunshine.
From B b b b uckfastleigh to Totnes again on the 24 and then 33002 back to Buckfastleigh for a break and a wander around the yard, we saw 25191 under restoration round the back with its newly replaced cab, looking forward to seeing this run again... 37037 sitting outside and looking nice in blue with 6737 numbers and 50002 in the diesel shed in undercoat waiting for its day in the sunshine.
Around the back of the site some folks were running live steam gauge 1 models on an outside track which was nice to watch for a bit, they had a beautiful model of Mallard which I had to get a photo of plus an American train with a hobo sitting in one of the doorways. :). It looked like quite a nice way to pass an afternoon.

Right, back to the real trains then. We now took 37275 the whole length of the line with 24081 tacked onto the back which must have been worth a couple more coaches in weight, the 37 was sounding fantastic and I got a couple of good video clips from our very comfortable front coach compartment. Once at Totnes the 24 pulled the whole lot back down the line but we stayed put at the back and got off at Staverton ready to finally get the 25 back up.
Well that was the plan only the 25 had apparently given up with problems so after fairly long wait 33002 turned up instead which we did to Totnes and all the way back to Buckfastleigh passing a resurrected 25 in the loop on the way. Bah! I don't need it but it is a bit of a favourite.
I had to get home by now to be a responsible parent so I left the others to go back up the line 25 chasing which they managed to achieve eventually.

All in all a good day out and I suppose I should mention that 33002 was a winner for the century having last had it on 29/12/1990 from Exeter to Crewkerne when it (according to my train timing friend) hit 92 mph screaming down Honiton bank trying to keep up with 50 timings.
The SDR is a nice railway, the weather was cold but beautiful, the scenery was nice and the company was great.
Oh and it's not easy writing this out on an iPhone.

Attachments

• IMG_0972.jpg
    IMG_0972.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0925.jpg
    IMG_0925.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0946.jpg
    IMG_0946.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0939.jpg
    IMG_0939.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0940.jpg
    IMG_0940.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0888.jpg
    IMG_0888.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0970.jpg
    IMG_0970.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
That was an enjoyable little read, sounds like a super day was had by all and that 33 looks fabulous,I've done Paignton to Kingswear back in 1990 but never managed the South Devon what was the reason they stopped operating into Totnes Mainline station?

Status
Not open for further replies.