• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old Chestnut: Chiltern to Oxford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't find much out about this from other sources but presumably if I have Boundary Zone X to Oxford (but not Oxford Parkway), it's valid either on CH or GW on the basis that all direct trains to a station are permitted routes? Doesn't seem to any clues in the fares database on this....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can't find much out about this from other sources but presumably if I have Boundary Zone X to Oxford (but not Oxford Parkway), it's valid either on CH or GW on the basis that all direct trains to a station are permitted routes? Doesn't seem to any clues in the fares database on this....
Correct, you can use either route, under the shortest route rule and the through trains rule. No need to even consult the Routeing Guide.
(but not Oxford Parkway)
The shortest route from West Drayton to Oxford Parkway is absolutely via Oxford, so it is a permitted route, however there are no fares for it, as all the fares are routed "via High Wycombe".

I don't think they should be allowed to get away with this, but sadly there is no proper regulator, ombudsman or passenger watchdog to keep the rail industry in check.

thedbdiboy

I don't think they should be allowed to get away with this, but sadly there is no proper regulator, ombudsman or passenger watchdog to keep the rail industry in check.

I don't see how a brand new route built in recent years should somehow be 'made' to fit into this structure......your implication is that the industry needs to have more control from the regulatory authorities, but the current fares and ticketing mess can be traced directly to the completely half-baked inability of those authorities to actually let the industry manage this area properly.

The existing regulatory regime was a half-baked attempt to contractualise BR's 1980s fares structure which didn't work properly at the time, and definitely doesn't work in the second decade of the 21st century. A much simpler mechanism that specified a maximum fare between stations and let the industry sort the rest out would work much better.

Last edited:

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I don't see how a brand new route built in recent years should somehow be 'made' to fit into this structure......your implication is that the industry needs to have more control from the regulatory authorities, but the current fares and ticketing mess can be traced directly to the completely half-baked inability of those authorities to actually let the industry manage this area properly.

The existing regulatory regime was a half-baked attempt to contractualise BR's 1980s fares structure which didn't work properly at the time, and definitely doesn't work in the second decade of the 21st century. A much simpler mechanism that specified a maximum fare between stations and let the industry sort the rest out would work much better.

Of course, it could be argued that both routes via High Wycombe and Reading were once part of the Great Western Railway and as Oxford/Kidlington Parkway is between both mainline routes, it does seem reasonable to attempt to fit it in so as the Any Permitted fare should be valid for either route.

Regarding the last sentence in the second paragraph, there have been some threads that had a discussion on suggestions to improve the fares system. I remember that there were various suggestions that included purely based on mileage (unworkable in my view due to various easements allowing doublebacks, stations such as Reddish South and Denton having a frequency of one train every seven days in one direction only etc), and also suggestions I believe from regular poster Neil Williams suggesting a base fare plus type of service such as local all stations service, regional service, and traditional Intercity service. I am not going to rehash recent arguments about this, and if I remember correctly, there was not an unanimous verdict either way that was reached or agreed upon.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't see how a brand new route built in recent years should somehow be 'made' to fit into this structure......

Well, it remains my view that on our National Rail network (one network) it should be possible to buy one ticket to make any desired journey via any route that is vaguely reasonable (ideally any route at all with fares calculate as necessary).

your implication is that the industry needs to have more control from the regulatory authorities, but the current fares and ticketing mess can be traced directly to the completely half-baked inability of those authorities to actually let the industry manage this area properly.

You what? The industry has the opportunity to create a sensible fare (i.e. London Terminals to Oxford Parkway route Any Permitted, valid from Paddington or Marylebone). It hasn't done, so it needs regulating to make it do so.

A much simpler mechanism that specified a maximum fare between stations and let the industry sort the rest out would work much better.

What do you mean by that exactly?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
suggestions I believe from regular poster Neil Williams suggesting a base fare plus type of service such as local all stations service, regional service, and traditional Intercity service

I do often quote the German approach but I don't think that one was mine? :)

I forget what it was I did suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.