• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old chestnuts list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

backontrack

Established Member
Obviously there are Class 444s, whether loco-hauled or on the Settle & Carlisle Line. I can't understand why everyone seems obsessed with them. They're good units yes, but we don't need every other thread in Traction & Rolling Stock to be about them

This trend is starting to continue with Class 68s. Why are people obsessed with 68s? On the TransPennine main line...in fact, just about anywhere...

Of course, there are the crayonistas - but on the flipside of that, there are the 'rubberistas' - where you talk about one line and you say 'I wish that hadn't closed', then someone comes along and calls you a 'deluded fantasist' or a 'tree-hugger'. Often their attitudes are much worse than those of crayonistas, and, while I don't support every reopening there has been suggested on here, I don't expect to be labelled as a 'fantasist' if I do suggest a reopening.

Another pet hate of mine, and I'll be blunt here: the attitude to newbies on RailUKForums stinks. They'll ask a question and people will go 'no, not this again', or just generally harshly upbraid them when it's their first post. I got this treatment when I joined. People will learn much easier if you explain things to them kindly instead of jumping down their throats. Why is this still an issue? So what if they're new members. They're still people.

Then there's 'why wasn't I charged a penalty fare' - a common one - and...the Trip Reports Forum.

'So we went bashing down the ECML from Donny on a Dusty Bin. However, we needed to be on time at Leeds for our connection onto the Nodding Donkey. Out of Donny we passed the forlorn Darth Vaders and even the Flying Banana. Earlier on, further south down the ECML, we'd seen Happy Trains and more Dusty Bins, in addition to a tour led by a Deltic and a Brush loco. Earlier on we'd seen a 319 at St Pancakes still in WorstGroup Barbie livery, and at Victoria a Plastic Pig that used to belong to the Rebel Alliance. At Marylebone we spotted gricers taking the numbers of Networker Clubmans, and cats steaming ahead towards Snow Hell. We boarded an Unspeakable Horror to Sandwell and Dudley, which was a shack scratch. The Pendolino was a winner for haulage (though not for sight), as it was 390154 leading dud 390156. We then returned to New Street ready for our rides on my last XC tram and a starship, which involved shack attacks at Erdington and Tamworth Low Level. We also saw an EWS skip (which had great thrash and clag) and a Bubble Car, as well as a Baby Deltic. I'm looking forward for Red Pen 2016 and my next ALR.'

You're all great guys I'm sure, but sometimes you can be really hard to understand. :D Mind you, there are these terms all over the forum. I must be one of the few people never to have posted a single thing about DOO - I don't even know what it stands for! 'Crayonista' isn't something you'd find in a dictionary, and I've never been to 'Twerp'...

Oh, and finally, one more thing...

...STOP SAYING 'NEWHAVEN MARINE'! IT'S NOT FUNNY! NOBODY WANTS THAT STATION REOPENED! IT DOESN'T EVEN MATTER! STOP BEING OBSESSED WITH IT!! NOBODY CARES ABOUT NEWHAVEN MARINE EXCEPT YOU!!!!!

Thank you. ;)

47513 Severn

I've just been PF'ed using an obscure combination of tickets but I'm not going to tell you what they are. You just have to accept I am definitely right and the RPI is wrong because I say so.

Why do I have to pay this unpaid fare notice?

The inspector didn't put his inside leg measurement on the penalty fare. Can I appeal and get compensation?

I got fined on the train!

Last edited:

Chester1

Established Member
Great thread!

Why HS2 is totally unnecessary or why Birmingham and Manchester need through lines despite the fact it would add billions to a already huge cost and provide little tangible benefit over the current route plan.

A tunnel to Ireland isnt actually crazy, it would probably break even on a day to day basis, but its really obvious why neither government thinks it wouldn't be worth the best part of £20bn!!!

Harbornite

Established Member
I must be one of the few people never to have posted a single thing about DOO - I don't even know what it stands for!

Oh, and finally, one more thing...

...STOP SAYING 'NEWHAVEN MARINE'! IT'S NOT FUNNY! NOBODY WANTS THAT STATION REOPENED! IT DOESN'T EVEN MATTER! STOP BEING OBSESSED WITH IT!! NOBODY CARES ABOUT NEWHAVEN MARINE EXCEPT YOU!!!!!

Thank you. ;)

DOO- Driver operated only. That's all you need to know.

Oh and #JusticeforNewhavenMarine

Harbornite

Established Member
#JeSuisMarine.

#Newhavenlivesmatter

Speaking of Newhaven Marine, I think it would make a good terminus for a new Crosscountry motorail service to Aberdeen via Brighton and the Settle Carlisle line. Rolling stock would obviously be 442's t and t'd by 68's and 88's when they become available.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
To be fair, if we were to remove all of the subjects mentioned above, there wouldn't be a lot left to post about.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
To be fair, if we were to remove all of the subjects mentioned above, there wouldn't be a lot left to post about.
There would still be the ever-declining first-class service on VT East Coast, in terms of quality, variety, quantity, availability, service protocols and staffing levels.

That should keep us busy enough!

t_star2001uk

Don't forget the conversion of 442s to 25kv overhead. Or using the driving ends in place of DVTs...

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
#Newhavenlivesmatter

Speaking of Newhaven Marine, I think it would make a good terminus for a new Crosscountry motorail service to Aberdeen via Brighton and the Settle Carlisle line. Rolling stock would obviously be 442's t and t'd by 68's and 88's when they become available.

I think we ought to combine - nay - even do a special feature on Newhaven Marine needing a Motorail service to Aberystwyth via a re-opened Carmarthen link.

319 reliability on Northern ?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
How about:

"Why do all Transpennine Expresses serve Huddersfield? It means I can't get cheap advances for my day out to Scarborough!".

tbtc

Veteran Member
It's an outrage that the moneygrabbing price gouging capitalist pigs have increased the cheapest tier of London to Cornwall/ Newcastle/ Glasgow tickets from £20 to £25 - I now fly instead.

See also: "I can fly to Slovakia if I book several months in advance and restrict myself to one service for less than the cost of a fully open ticket bought on the day train to Birmingham".

Why HS2 is totally unnecessary or why Birmingham and Manchester need through lines despite the fact it would add billions to a already huge cost and provide little tangible benefit over the current route plan

The thing that I don't understand about the "HS2 stations at Birmingham and Manchester should be through stations" argument is that...

...by the time a London - Glasgow train had slowed down on its approach, stopped at the through station, seen potentially hundreds of passengers get off and more get on, accelerated back to regular speed...

...it could probably be thirty miles further north!

I'm certainly not arguing with you, but some people don't seem to have considered that there seems little point building a High Speed line then stopping it at really busy intermediate stations. Fine for somewhere smaller like Meadowhall, but not Birmingham.

In Germany it works like.....

...complete with random German words that the author assumes everyone either knows or can be bothered to translate?

:lol:

A personal favourite.

There would still be the ever-declining first-class service on VT East Coast, in terms of quality, variety, quantity, availability, service protocols and staffing levels.

That should keep us busy enough!

I remember the complaints from enthusiasts about GNER not being as good as BR... then NXEC weren't as good as GNER... now VTEC aren't as good as DOR... if the Forum existed forty years ago we'd probably have moans about how the teabags on these new-fangled Deltics weren't as good as the ones on steam services :lol:

Don't forget the conversion of 442s to 25kv overhead. Or using the driving ends in place of DVTs...

Honourable mention to those trying to find a future for the front coaches of 460s!

319 reliability on Northern ?

I've enjoyed the way that every delayed/ cancelled 319 journey around Manchester gets so much scrutiny on here, unlike the ever reliable DMU fleet that seems to have no problems whatsoever (because people don't nit-pick any DMU delays/ cancellations, so I presume there are none).

How about:

"Why do all Transpennine Expresses serve Huddersfield? It means I can't get cheap advances for my day out to Scarborough!".

Ah, the good old contrary "I have a plan for long distance services to stop at an obscure village but to avoid the biggest intermediate place" argument. Examples include "Glasgow to Dundee services stopping at Blairgowrie instead of Dundee".

I can't believe anyone would suggest TPE services avoid somewhere as busy as Huddersfield, yet it seems to get suggested every couple of weeks.

Flamingo

Established Member
Everybody has forgotten the perenial whines (if not threads in their own right)
"Rail staff never get moderated, but every time I insult them I get deleted" (just check my inbox if you believe that - I reckon one in three of my posts don't stay up for more than 20 minutes - but that is because of my tendency to call an idiot a bloody idiot)...
"The automatic barrier at Paddington rejected my ticket because..."
"I really want to be a lawyer in America working with children but now I can't because of my pending conviction for multiple fare evasion and it shouldn't really be a crime because the train was going there anyway..."

backontrack

Established Member
Ah, the good old contrary "I have a plan for long distance services to stop at an obscure village but to avoid the biggest intermediate place" argument. Examples include "Glasgow to Dundee services stopping at Blairgowrie instead of Dundee".

But Blairgowrie isn't the biggest place on the line! It's obviously Forfar. And it's not an obscure village, either.

I'm guessing that that was somehow alliterative. :roll:

AM9

Veteran Member
Looking ahead a few weeks, there's a whole universe of Class 700 posts between those who saw the long-available information but want to regurgitate their shock-horror when they roll into service very soon:
"they have less seats than existing 3+2 trains",
"the seats are narrower than 387s/HSTs/Meridians",
"they don't have power outlets (acres of discussion there -past and future)",
"no armrests",
"no tables",
"sliding, not plug doors",
"no coach-end doors",
"too-much first class",
"not enough first class",​
and of course, "why is 'London' getting new trains when elsewhere has to manage with '80s cast-offs".
... and all of that will be closely followed when the first major delay in the core occurs with "just like I predicted".

MedwayValiant

"Why are replacement bus services so rubbish"

Actually, perhaps that one has to be allowed. These forums do cater for bus people as well as railway people, and it can be quite amusing watching both industries pointing at the other and saying "Because of them"!

This does not help passengers, but why would they matter?

OK, that sentence might have been another of those old chestnuts ...

Status
Not open for further replies.