• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old chestnuts list

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuneatonmark

How about a new sticky listing all the 'old chestnuts' that have done to death multiple times?
Two suggestions
Pros and cons of franchising
Reopening Malton to Pickering
Please suggest more

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Lets bring back Motorail

Lets start an through service from London to Naples

Lets scrap all Intercity trains that are not either HST services or loco hauled

Give the Brigg line a half hourly clock face timetable

Lets reopen the Woodhead route

Lets give silly names (if oh so not funny) names to trains

Lets all moan about ticket barriers for no good reason

Last edited:

Harbornite

Established Member
Lets bring back Motorail

Lets start an through service from London to Naples

Lets scrap all Intercity trains that are not either HST services or loco hauled

That gives me a good idea for a train service. I'd have Class 442's top and tailed by class 68's running from Aberdeen to Paris via the Settle and Carlisle line, Nottingham and Brighton, with motorail accommodation and class 142 pacers as slip coaches.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Why re-nationalisation would be a good idea.
Staff deliberately close train doors before I'm on-board.
Passenger rail travel should be priced based on a simple fixed cost per mile.
It's discriminatory that everyone isn't eligible for a Railcard.
There's a secret body determined to ban heritage trains / steam locos from the network.
Traction power would be so much more efficient if it adopted my new idea.
Seat reservations should be compulsory / abolished.
There should only be one class of accomodation / should be three classes of accomodation.
Rail staff are rude (especially when I've done something wrong and been found out and I am never going to tell you that I was rude).
I know of a former railway line that was little used and since closure long ago has been partly built on. I think it should be reopened.
I don't like the colour of this train. I think it should be . . .
What are headcodes / station codes / ticket type codes?
The biggest problem with the rail industry is that it's rooted in the past / is that it doesn't realise that things were better in the past.
How do I become a train driver?

I hope I've just about covered it.

Oh no, one more . . . . What was the number of the train I travelled on somewhere 20 years ago?

As for datum plates, it's not a bad idea to have a sticky for a structured gallery for dentifying images of railway objects, complimenting the Railsigns site by identifying other hardware - who's willing to compile a gallery of railway objects?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The necessity of continuing to cascade elderly stock that no other TOC wants to Northern.

The unanswerable benefits of the Class 230 units.

Why all stations should have a direct rail link to Manchester Airport railway station.

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
"I didn't bother to buy a ticket but now need help"

More like "I made a genuine mistake, as I always buy the correct ticket, but this one time I got confused / completely forgot / was dealing with the dog eating my homework, and then the RPIs caught, sorry stopped me"

Established Member
It should be compulsory to have every second post in the thread devoted to extending the Borders Railway to Carlisle.

Harbornite

Established Member
A crazy theory that Barnes is somewhere in the West Midlands...

please say that wasn't too obscure! ;)

Don't worry, it wasn't. Is it so hard to remember that Birmingham New Street is BHM and not BNS?!

Darandio

Established Member
Is a tunnel to Ireland feasible?
Is a tunnel to North America feasible?
What are the times for Flying Scotsman?
I applied for a railway position 3.5 hours ago, why haven't they replied yet?

tbtc

Veteran Member
Why can't we simply re-open the GCR (that has no buildings on its entire trackbed and was build to extra wide European Gauge capable of accommodating double decker trains) instead of building HS2 between the biggest cities? (With some snide comments about "spending billions of pounds so that businessmen can save two minutes a day")

Why can't fares be simpler, but also why can't TOCs additionally introduce cheaper/more flexible fares that suit my personal circumstances? Also, fares would be significantly cheaper if we didn't relivery trains every five/ten years at the start of a new franchise.

Reading several pages of subjective argument along the lines of "I prefer red trains and upright seats without arm rests" vs "I prefer blue trains with angled seats and chunky arm rests".

Conspiracy wibble about Beeching ("I spoke to one old bloke who told me that Beeching based all his research on visiting seaside branch lines on a wet Wednesday in February" etc) or the supposedly underhand reasons for BR not having the foresight to preserve every abandoned line or singling lines to save money (or blaming Beeching for things like the closing of the Woodhead lines in the '80s).

Why are there so many announcements on trains, but also not enough announcements telling me the exact reasons for a delay (because I can't just accept that my service is five minutes late)?

What convoluted excuse can I find to keep ancient stock in service for another few decades (at the same time that I complain that the new local franchise in my area won't see an entirely new fleet with no "cast offs")?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Any suggestion of operating the Liverpool-Norwich service any differently to how it operates now.

backontrack

Established Member
I know...

...let's moan about Voyagers because they're stupid and horrible and I hate them and they're so terrible and...

*starts foaming and the mouth and falling over backwards*

Last edited:

Harbornite

Established Member
I know...

...let's moan about Voyagers because they're stupid and horrible and I hate them and they're so terrible and...

*starts foaming and the mouth and falling over backwards*

We've already mentioned Voyagers in this thread. I guess we could add Pendolino's windows to the list of chestnuts!

tbtc

Veteran Member
We need to finally get round to discussing the much-ignored topics of short distance commuters on long distance InterCity services (i.e. Euston to Milton Keynes and Paddington to Reading). It's an outrage that the Moderators never allow any discussion of them!

See also "carefully selected PTE fares in northern England are differently priced per mile compared to non-subsidised fares down south" / "non-PTE fares in northern England are differently priced per mile compared to TfL-subsidised fares within London" - that never gets discussed either.

Although we can take it a step further. Plenty of threads entitled 'What is booked for xxxx tomorrow, HST or Voyager?'

Should someone point out that what a service is timed for is no guarantee of the stock that will actually operate a particular path"?

I don't think that's been mentioned much :lol:

-

ETA - Why is a service like Aberdeen to Penzance (which no sane person does end-to-end) booked for stock that is unsuitable for end-to-end journeys?

Last edited:

Minilad

Established Member
The RPI was so rude and aggressive

Voyager toilets

Voyagers and Dawlish

Loco hauled is rubbish because it's wasted platform space

I really really really want to be a train driver. It's all I have ever wanted

Clip

Established Member
In Germany it works like.....
First class fares should be x1.5 standard fares