• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old conductor applying for a new conductor job

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeaTrain

Hey there,

A bit of an unusual question but thought someone may have the answer :D

I used to work for ATW as a conductor but had to leave due to relocating. If I applied again for a new conductor role would I be classed as qualified (learning the traction and routes only)? Or would I be expected to go through the full 10 week training course again?

It is a role for Cross Country.

It has been a year since leaving ATW.

Thanks for any help : )

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

8J

Full training course will be required as far as I understand it.

the sniper

Established Member
I'd be amazed if you weren't treated like any other new entrant, particularly if you've had a gap in service? I've known people go from one TOC to another without a break in service and still had to start afresh as completely new starters. I imagine there could be some variation from that across the industry though.

TeaTrain

I see cheers for the replies.

I don't mind starting again anyway as its only a good thing to have more training.

I have passed all my driver examinations as well but no jobs in the Manchester area are popping up so back to a guard for now!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Brand new applicant, you'll do the full coruse again sadly.
Some TOCS will insist you do the whole course again even if you leave TOC A Friday, and start TOC B Monday.

It's all about ticking boxes.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Brand new applicant, you'll do the full coruse again sadly.
Some TOCS will insist you do the whole course again even if you leave TOC A Friday, and start TOC B Monday.

It's all about ticking boxes.

I didn't when I moved from one to another.

Established Member
I didn't when I moved from one to another.

I agree with this, except for any company-relevant, retail relevant or route/traction relevant things, but that is always up to the company.

In the event of strikes, I recall one company that was prepared to overlook a 3-year gap in service for a new starter who was breaking the strike.

TeaTrain

Thanks for the info again.

I don't mind doing the entire training again. It isn't an issue rather I just thought there MIGHT be the possibility of not having to do it all a second time.

Either way I just look forward to (fingers crossed) being able to just get back on the job now.

Somethings I don't miss but most of it I do!

craigybagel

Established Member
Note, some....

Exactly. There are several conductors at Tea Trains former employer who came from other companies (especially recently with Merseyrail guards looking to bail out, but we've also got one or two from Great Western and other places,) and they all had to do the full training course from scratch

I know that Transpennine however accept and even advertise for qualified guards however.

TeaTrain

Cheers Craigy.

Well I don't mind doing it all again. My training in Cardiff for ATW was a great experience and met some friends that I still have today despite leaving the railway.

craigybagel

Established Member
Cheers Craigy.

Well I don't mind doing it all again. My training in Cardiff for ATW was a great experience and met some friends that I still have today despite leaving the railway.

Amen to that. Plus there are worse experiences to go through than spending 9 weeks in that lovely hotel!

Status
Not open for further replies.