• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old fashioned stations still existing

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I think that, whilst not quite as grand Rye is the best example in the South-east retaining all its buildings and its Southeastern staggered platforms. Even the 1960s footbridge has its history as it was done as a preliminary of the Kent Phase 2 electrification before the marshlink was deferred yet again.

Yes agree with that. Particularly the footbridge aspect as most of the Kent electrification ones appear to have been replaced in the last few years.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

608px-Wemyss_Bay_railway_station_concourse_2018-08-25_2.jpg

Wemyss Bay sounds like it's what you're looking for.

DustyBin

Established Member
This is the footbridge at Tynemouth, the whole station is stunning but I particularly like the (rather quirky) bridge:

9CBF9562-3B2C-4F7B-857F-75D85903BA2C.jpeg

Bevan Price

Established Member
Earlestown still has an 1830s stone building on Platform 2, although you cannot go inside.
St. Helens Junction, Rainhill, Huyton, Roby & Prescot all retain one oldish brick building containing a ticket office.

daccer

Depending on how far back you want to go in history there are some nice Art Deco examples around such as Leamington Spa and Surbiton. For really quaint and old fashioned you could go out into the sticks in Scotland at Glenfinnan and Upper Tyndrum. In Wales places such as Betwys y Coed retain a time gone past feel and over the border Shrewsbury has a nice feel plus a big signalbox to boot. Over in East Anglia many stations on the branches have a similar feel and even mainline stations such as Stowmarket still have character albeit with overhead wires.

JBuchananGB

Cressington on Merseyrail is practically unchanged in essentials since its construction in the 1860s. Modern lighting has been placed in period-appropriate fittings. Platform levels have been raised (though that's not obvious); dot-matrix indicators installed; but that is about it, visually.

The staircases from street level to platforms have been replaced by ramps.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Many , many examples - try East Ham on the District line - grade 2 and still has a weathered advert for 2d (2 old pennies) for tea !

ag51ruk

Wilmcote near Stratford upon Avon has a real old Great Western Railway feel and an unusual covered footbridge

SeanG

Coombe Junction Halt may fit the bill. And at the other end of the country, some remote stations on the far north line may do too

D6130

Established Member
As well as Wemyss Bay, Stirling is another fine example of Caledonian Railway architecture - despite the arrival of electrification and colour light signalling.

Sprinter107

I think Sundridge Park is a delightful little station, I wouldnt think too much altered in years. The booking office is immaculate, with old railway pictures in the booking hall. Its beautifully kept too.

Brooke

Birmingham Moor Street is a good one, especially considering parts of it were I think rebuilt to "look old" when actually quite modern.

Wemyss Bay my personal favourite in Scotland.

Lots on the Underground as others have said, varying different styles and periods. Cockfosters, Piccadilly Circus and Bethnal Green are other examples I like.

There are also some good examples in Ireland. Mallow would be one I’d recommend - many original features, well maintained, history documented in the waiting room.

Inversnecky

I remember this as a child. There was also a railway bridge you could walk along.

I lived up the road from this. Think it’s a tea room or something now:

see also:

Attachments

• 0B7F01E2-03F7-4421-B778-4727DFACB378.jpeg
    0B7F01E2-03F7-4421-B778-4727DFACB378.jpeg
    62.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Skie

Irlam is a lovely station with a nice pub. Not quite original but it looks the part.

Edge Hill and Lime Street (twin grand sheds plus the hotel outside) are worth a mention, simply due to their history and retaining structures over 100 years old. Edge Hill being just 15 years away from its 200th birthday.

Last edited:

Scotrail84

Established Member
Drem, Aberdour, Arbroath, Gleneagles, Perth, Dunkeld, Pitlochry, Blair Atholl, Kingussie, Aviemore to name a few.

reddragon

Established Member
Earls Court Station is stuck in the 1930's, complete with old style train indicators is one station that feels unchanged since the 1930s

1611043871065.png

And probably Hanwell captures what is asked better than any with GWR Station names, lighting and original wooden buildings

1611044011405.png

Tio Terry

Berney Arms has lost it' building.
Did it ever have one? All I remember was the houses opposite the platform that, during my time, were occupied by the P.Way lengthman and his wife. But they were sub-standard so when they left they were pulled down. There was also a hut which housed the intermediate token machine but that had been out of use for years.

ChrisC

Established Member
Worksop is well worth visiting. A grade 2 listed station which went through a big restoration in 2017 including the footbridge. The station is now back in original Great Central colours.

VEP3417

lymington pier i think is still part wooden, theyve just just put rubber sponge matting along the station side, and also the lymington line has the disused ampress hault, and again ryde pier head on the iow is wooden i believe, not sure if theyve covered it over though

lyp.jpg
ah.jpg

Irascible

Established Member
Can take a look at Cornwall too ( although not right now! ), a fair bit feels unchanged since forever.

Are there any places with sizeable amounts of yard/other assorted trackwork left, to really get that vintage feeling?

Freightmaster

Established Member
Worksop is well worth visiting. A grade 2 listed station which went through a big restoration in 2017 including the footbridge. The station is now back in original Great Central colours.
Even though it is no longer in use now, even as a gate box, the former Worksop East signalbox
by the level crossing was also repainted at the same time as the station:

(link to a news article about the restoration project)

MARK

Status
Not open for further replies.