• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old gated station lifts

Status
Not open for further replies.

159jim

On behalf of BENOBVE of YouTube and my own interest in lifts, Does anyone know ANY stations in the UK which still has old gated lifts?

So far I have found myself...

- Pokesdown For Boscombe - Aldous & Campbell ABANDONED, Both platforms

- Bournemouth - Unknown (Possibly J & E Hall) ABANDONED, Platforms 1/2 and 3, BUT the platform 3 still has pressable buttons, but those still dont make the lift work...

- Southampton Central - Replaced by crappy Stannahs, BUT, abondoned unknown lift on platform 4.

Bristol Temple Meads - ALSO replaced by crappy Stannahs in the subway, BUT, if you walk up to the goods bridge, there are some old staff only lifts (Possibly J&E Hall) WHICH MAY STILL WORK, but i'm not sure, and you need a key to work the lift....

Thanks,
Jim.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
Don't know what you mean by "gated" lifts but James Street Liverpool still has working and used lifts which require you to pull the door across before it will move. Shouldn't be used for passengers though because it go through a load of motor rooms filled with Inergen before it reaches the top hall.

159jim

Cheers, Mate!

Now, time to back on topic....
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Don't know what you mean by "gated" lifts but James Street Liverpool still has working and used lifts which require you to pull the door across before it will move. Shouldn't be used for passengers though because it go through a load of motor rooms filled with Inergen before it reaches the top hall.

Oh , and another thing, do you know what type the Liverpool J.S lifts are?

Thanks,
Jim.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Guys, for more info, please visit:
http://benobve.110mb.com/

Thanks,
Jim.

First class

Established Member
You will have to wait a couple of weeks until I'm back on stations, (currently working "behind the scenes") but will get you the info.

Whatever floats your boat I guess :)

route:oxford

Established Member
There used to be a gated lift at Stirling, was disused for years - not sure if it was removed or just covered up. It routed via a subway.

Confusingly enough, I think there may have been more than one Subway at Stirling too. One at the South end of the station (there used to be blocked off steps down to it) and another approximately half way between the station staircase and platform 1.

159jim

There used to be a gated lift at Stirling, was disused for years - not sure if it was removed or just covered up. It routed via a subway.

Confusingly enough, I think there may have been more than one Subway at Stirling too. One at the South end of the station (there used to be blocked off steps down to it) and another approximately half way between the station staircase and platform 1.

Hi Mate.

Bournemouth has a subway for luggage cars, but the route to the old lift in the subway has now been blocked off by a HUGE concrete wall, to make way for the new ramp.

AlexS

Established Member
Wolverhampton has one between platform 1 and platform 2/3 still in situ but not in use as the new footbridge replaced it, used it very many times in the past though. No idea what kind of lift it is though!

wintonian

Established Member
I thought the Pokesdown ones were going to be ripped out and replace a few years ago?

Looking at NRE it does appear not, I thought I heard something a few years about them being replaced for access reasons.

Any idea when they went out of service?

Last edited:

Aictos

Established Member
Stevenage still has them, earmarked for conversion to NWR Stannah lifts though.

Zoe

Established Member
Even some of the older elevators with automatic doors are getting replaced. In these older elevators the doors would close immediately when you pressed the floor you wanted. Newer types are annoying as the door often does not close when you press the floor button so even if you are the only person in the elevator you still have to wait out the pre-set dwell time although some do have a door close button.

philjo

Established Member
They are still in situ at Letchworth, but they haven't worked for at least 20 years.
I remember on several occasions you had to use the stairs to shut the gates properly at the other end before you could use it (we mainly used it when going to/from holiday with the suitcases)

caliwag

Stoke on Trent used to have a postal lift and bridge at the South end, which was occasionally used to convey wheelchair bound passengers. Assume there's no postal traffic now, so may well have been converted with removal of open gates.

In the early 90s BR explored and costed creation of a dedicated passenger lift to serve either a bridge or a new subway...came to nothing!

Crossover

Established Member
I have noticed today an old gated lift at Stafford station. I saw it and didn't think twice about it and then after standing there for about 15 mins remembered about this thread and took mental note!

No idea what make etc but the gate is chained and padlocked. It is between platforms 5 and 6 and sits opposite the passenger lifts. I don't think it will connect to either of the passenger bridges so suspect it was also part of the mail terminal

Status
Not open for further replies.