• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old London Underground safety on the track video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

king_walnut

Not sure what year this was made, but it's a great watch. It's incredible how things used to be!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
What decade would that have been filmed during? My gut feeling is that it was probably filmed in the late 50s or possibly early 60s

Dstock7080

Established Member
- Aylesbury, South Acton shown on map
- P and T Stock still on MET
- R Stock operating to Hounslow
mid-fifties?

Last edited:

Established Member
I think it's the early 1950s. Three reasons:-
1) The buses have wartime reduced destination displays. They also have cream surrounds to the upper deck windows, which became all red some time in 1952, I think.
2) The tube trains also have cream surrounds to the windows, as far as it's possible to see them. They started to paint the window surrounds red in May 1952.
3) Although the map is not very clear, I'd say that the name of the station south of West Brompton on the District Line's Wimbledon branch is Walham Green and not Fulham Broadway. It was changed to Fulham Broadway in February 1952.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Interestingly enough I noticed at 4m 35s that the roundel says 'Northfields' yet appears to actually be South Ealing. Anyone know why they have done this?

I was trying to perhaps pin a year on the video by seeing if the exit at the east end of Northfields station was there and was confused as to why even the abutments that still exist to this day don't appear to be there. At 5m 35s the walkway comes into shot as the guy walks towards actual Northfields station.

As an aside the video linked to in the OP was originally posted on YouTube by a different account in Nov 2011 and given the title "Safety on the track 1950."

Last edited:

king_walnut

Is there any information anywhere of the evolution of PTS standards on the railway? When did they decide that digging very close to the live rail with a shovel wasn't a great idea? When was high vis clothing made mandatory? etc...

Busaholic

Veteran Member
As far as dating the film is concerned, the bus footage shows a route 96 bus, and that was withdrawn in 1958: however, I think the film was much earlier than that, because it shows an STL class bus which, from memory, had all departed by 1953, from Central London at least. My best guess on the bus footage (which, of course, may not have been strictly contemporaneous with the railway footage!) would be 1952, possibly 1951.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is there any information anywhere of the evolution of PTS standards on the railway? When did they decide that digging very close to the live rail with a shovel wasn't a great idea? When was high vis clothing made mandatory? etc...

They also appear to have a different definition of "the six foot" and "the ten foot" to that is in force in NR today. Do LUL still have this definition today?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They also appear to have a different definition of "the six foot" and "the ten foot" to that is in force in NR today. Do LUL still have this definition today?
It depends on the location, as the ten foot is defined as "the space between one line and another, where a wide space is provided between one pair of lines, where there are three lines or more." So the ten foot in this video is where the guy is walking as a place of safety, as the bridge piers and platforms in this location mean the gap has to be wider. Further along the line between Acton and Hammersmith however the wider space is between the eastbound and westbound fast as per the more conventional NR definition.

Last edited:

It's a staff instructional film produced for London Transport on behalf of British Transport Films by Rayant Pictures made in 1951.

Status
Not open for further replies.