• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old Map - spotted on central line

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaziniho

Was on the central line today, and spotted that one of the maps had been peeled right back to a much older layer.

Is anyone able to date it?

I initially thought mid to late 90s (no jubilee line extension)...
But then I spotted Aldwych is still marked.

Is it possibly the original map from when the 1992 rolling stock was put into service??

8ne8a6b.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It's got City Thameslink on it - which opened in 1990, and Aldwych, which closed in 1994, so sometime between those two years.

gazthomas

Established Member
Definitely pre 1994 as the Aldwych branch closed then and the Waterloo and City is still showing as being run by BR. Post 1990 due to renaming of St Pauls (opened 1990) to City Thameslink

gazthomas

Established Member
In fact Mornington Crescent closed for refurbishment in October 1992 so we're already down to 1991-1992. So yes, they look original to the stock. What fun!

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Westbourne Park BR! :D
The existence of the BR interchange at Westbourne Park and the Waterloo & City Line being operated by BR would date the map to 1992-1994. St Paul's Thameslink was renamed City Thameslink in 1991, as was the DLR extension to Bank opened. None of the stations have the 'dagger' symbol to indicate restricted opening times, that might help pin down the date of the map.
The interchange between Bank and Monument is also shown as a normal interchange instead of the escalator it always used to be shown as - did that change when Bank DLR opened?
When did the East London Line turn orange - was that the same time the Hammersmith & City went pink?

Rob F

When did the Central line gain its downward kink to Bank, rather than just running horizontally across the map?

sprunt

Has anyone maintained an archive of each design over time?

This is the largest online collection I can see, and it's very very far from being comprehensive.

Would TfL object to a hobbyist site containing scans of maps that attempts to collect them all? I have a few - I try and pick one up whenever a new one is issued - so I wonder if it's worth trying to crowdsource a more comprehensive set?

Dstock7080

Established Member
A book “London Transport maps & guides, a collectors reference guide” 2004 A. Letch; lists most that were issued over the years.

My collection has evolved and includes most from 1925-2018.

rebmcr

Established Member
Would TfL object to a hobbyist site containing scans of maps that attempts to collect them all? I have a few - I try and pick one up whenever a new one is issued - so I wonder if it's worth trying to crowdsource a more comprehensive set?

Even better, it would be possible to build a changelog detailing each small detail and its date of introduction.

From there, an interactive map could be built, allowing a viewer to step through the years, or even combine different tiles of the map from different times as a 'what if' (e.g. two Bakerloo branches, but with Overground shown to Euston).

sprunt

I got my small map collection out last night, and was about to start scanning them when I discovered an annoying hitch - an unfolded modern map is slightly longer than a sheet of A4, meaning it wouldn't fit fully on my scanner. Bah!

Status
Not open for further replies.