• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old Oak Common Station construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

si404

Established Member
But the proposed platform numbering is south to north in the station design so GWML westbound are 1 & 2 etc.
whoops, I got that back to front.
overtaking would lead to huge dwell times for stopping services so stopping is likely to be the norm.
not necessarily - not least as they are likely to be quite long anyway. If every other HS2 train stops (which drops back about 6 minutes vs non-stopping - including at OOC which will have longer dwell times than the other intermediate due to higher numbers leaving trains) then they can fit in the gaps. And the GWML will be 4-track from OOC to Paddington (and the Elizabeth line similarly from the portal), allowing trains to non-stop without stopping trains having to wait too long for them to be overtaken.

However, while operationally possible to have stoppers and non-stoppers, it complicates things, and it definitely doesn't make transport sense to have a large proportion of HS2 trains not stop at OOC. On the GWML, it's a similar "if you stop some, you might as well stop all" thing. I imagine there will be some trains that run through the station without stopping - the Cornwall sleeper being the most likely, and maybe an early morning or late night HS2 train to get a headline time (Euston-Piccadilly in under an hour non-stop?), but usual practice will be to stop everything.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mintona

Established Member
According to various sources, Old Oak Common station now has planning permission with building work scheduled to begin in June.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Brain teaser: The station will open from new with 14 platforms. Is that a UK record for a new station?

The only international comparitor I can think of is Berlin Hauptbahnhof, also 14 platforms (plus U-bahn).

mds86

I'm not sure how advanced the station design is but I would envisage a layout like this, starting from the south of the station:

An island platform serving the GWR main lines where trains generally don't call except in emergencies or engineering works on the other lines. I agree that stopping IET services from Bristol, South Wales, Cheltenham, Worcester and Oxford isn't required until the Old Oak area becomes a destination in its own right such as Stratford.

An island platform serving the GWR relief lines where trains generally do call, such as Heathrow Express, the remaining GWR semi fast services, and possibly the IET services from the B&H line from Newbury/Taunton where a change at Old Oak Common gives this most benefit for interchange onto HS2 and destinations to the north.

Two island platforms for Crossrail, where the outer lines are generally for trains continuing to Heathrow or Reading, and the inner pair of lines for terminating trains.

A junction to the west of the station would allow these relief lines to join the mains and Crossrail/existing relief lines, possibly by a flyover/dive-under junction. This would essentially be the start of the Paddington throat and from here to the east, 3 pairs of tracks would run up until the Crossrail lines go into tunnel, giving Crossrail exclusive tracks between Old Oak Common and Paddington.

hwl

Established Member
I'm not sure how advanced the station design is but ...
The design is simple: one platform island with 2 faces for track either sides e.g. 4 islands one each for down main / up main / down relief / up relief.
The concept is effectively the same as the Charing Cross lines at London Bridge where trains alternate between faces on the same island.

The initial Crossrail Paddington/ Westbourne terminators /turnback will be extended westward to OOC with turnback arrangement between the relief lines just west of OOC. Hence plenty (12tph) of empty Crossrail trains for GW/HS2 passengers to get on. The CR timetable sees every other train turn back at Paddington hence the alternative face model work well at OOC.

The debate is around whether to build the 2 fast main islands given the alternate faces approaches requires all or nothing stopping.

Paddington may well be a less inviting place for interchange for GW to CR once the initial 12tph that start empty at Paddington already have seats taken at OOC instead...

D365

Veteran Member
In short: Two pairs of island platforms for the fast and relief lines respectively.

Jpeg

I originally intended the thread to be related to the construction events of the station. I’ve updated the title to make it clearer.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder that any ideas/suggestions or other speculative posts should be posted in the Speculative Ideas section please.

This thread is in the infrastructure section and is to discuss the construction of Old Oak Common station.

Thanks.

Yindee8191

Does anyone know the approximate timeframe we’re looking at for construction? It’s always cool to see actual progress happening at a site, and it’s easily visible from a train on the GWML instead of somewhere inaccessible in the countryside.

miami

Established Member
Does anyone know the approximate timeframe we’re looking at for construction?

There's a lot of information at https://hs2inoldoak.commonplace.is/proposals/works-in-your-area

In theory the service was supposed to be running in 60 months time.

Near to Acton

https://s3-eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/... hours at Victoria Road site Nov 2020 PDF.pdf

"From early December, we willstart works to build the ventilation shaft" -- just behind North Acton station, they've already been doing Sheet Piling (I haven't even been to Acton since start of October so no idea about the on the ground stuff)

For the actual station, piling starts later in the year, for now this is what they're doing

Ongoing construction of access roads within the site, including excavation and pouring concrete.
Soil excavation and removal to lower the level of the ground in preparation for the piling and diaphragm wall activity
Installation of extra site drainage to remove excess surface water off site ready for the construction of concrete slabs.
Two temporary parallel beams along the perimeters of the station will be installed in order to guide the deep trench excavations for the concrete walls

Yindee8191

There's a lot of information at https://hs2inoldoak.commonplace.is/proposals/works-in-your-area

In theory the service was supposed to be running in 60 months time.

Near to Acton

https://s3-eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/commonplace-customer-assets/hs2inoldoak/Extended weekend hours at Victoria Road site Nov 2020 PDF.pdf

"From early December, we willstart works to build the ventilation shaft" -- just behind North Acton station, they've already been doing Sheet Piling (I haven't even been to Acton since start of October so no idea about the on the ground stuff)

For the actual station, piling starts later in the year, for now this is what they're doing
Thanks, that’s an interesting read! I look forward to more concrete (pun intended) progress being made.

miami

Established Member
The Victoria Road crossover Box technically isn't Old Oak common, but it's close - it's just to the west of the station

They've finished the sheet piling and are starting construction

The huge underground box structure will house a crossover track mechanism that will allow trains to switch between tracks, up to a design speed of 62 mph, on the approach and descent from Old Oak Common station.

The box will be 130m in length and 24m deep, with 1.5m thick walls constructed by diaphragm piling method, with top and intermediate levels of reinforced concrete props. The base slab of the crossover box will be supported by 77 piles installed 20m into the ground below the slab level.

Some pictures at

The plans are shown on

It's this part just north of North Acton

1611745558303.png

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

SynthD

That looks like a nice green space. I hope they set expectations correctly in that it'll be replaced by the Chiltern station.

cle

Established Member
Will any services remaining on the Relief lines run through the Crossrail platforms - i.e. will they be one and the same?

If not, what will the crossing arrangement be west of OOC, to ensure a down Crossrail does not conflict with an up GWR Relief?

Also - are there any updates on connectivity in the current build with the LO routes (WLL and NLL), anything at all for the Central Line at North Acton, and any murmurs on the Chiltern bays? I know all of these are later phase, and some up in the air, but curious if they are being factored in (provision) in the current build.

The Planner

Veteran Member
That looks like a nice green space. I hope they set expectations correctly in that it'll be replaced by the Chiltern station.
Not sure station is the right word for it. It was only going to be one platform at the back of the Crossrail lines, clearly from that artist impression it isn't factored in! I doubt it would encroach too much on that considering the severed line joined below the row of houses on Old Oak Common Lane.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Will any services remaining on the Relief lines run through the Crossrail platforms - i.e. will they be one and the same?

If not, what will the crossing arrangement be west of OOC, to ensure a down Crossrail does not conflict with an up GWR Relief?

Also - are there any updates on connectivity in the current build with the LO routes (WLL and NLL), anything at all for the Central Line at North Acton, and any murmurs on the Chiltern bays? I know all of these are later phase, and some up in the air, but curious if they are being factored in (provision) in the current build.

They are one and the same. Given that almost all Relief Line trains *will* be Crossrail trains at this point anyway (freight having disappeared into Acton Yard or up Acton Bank by this point).

cle

Established Member
Also, why can't the HS2 platforms work with two faces, rather than needing 3 per direction - and 6 platforms total.

Is that due to the period where it is the terminus, and turning everything? Or longer dwells? Ueno and Shinagawa in Tokyo have this exact function, and it's very brief as embarking/disembarking is only one way.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Also, why can't the HS2 platforms work with two faces, rather than needing 3 per direction - and 6 platforms total.

Is that due to the period where it is the terminus, and turning everything? Or longer dwells? Ueno and Shinagawa in Tokyo have this exact function, and it's very brief as embarking/disembarking is only one way.

The 6 platforms basically comes from the days of the HS1 link; the middle two platforms were intended to be the "international" platforms. Seems like when the HS1 link was dropped, the platforms were kept for the extra flexibility they provide; classic case of "build it as 6 platforms, or you'll be stuck with 4 forever".

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

WLL & NLL stations have always been surface walk connections, that’s if they ever happen. There’s never been a proposal for a Central Line link.

hwl

Established Member

Reliefs:

1 platform island with 2 faces and tracks for each direction. i.e. 1 westbound island and one eastbound island.

Turnback of "those" Crossrail services will move from Westbourne Park to OOC so there are 24tph Crossrail east to/from OOC.

The centre 2 of the 4 relief tracks track will be focused on the trains burning back and the outer ones focused on Heathrow / Maidenhead / Reading services

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

The connection onto the classic lines is outside Westbourne Park / Ladbroke Grove, so that's the conflict for now. I wasn't aware the turnbacks would be changed to OOC once built. The only plans were for the LO on the WLL but don't think any concrete planning permission has been put in as I believe it requires some input from developers at Park Royal.

Not sure station is the right word for it. It was only going to be one platform at the back of the Crossrail lines, clearly from that artist impression it isn't factored in! I doubt it would encroach too much on that considering the severed line joined below the row of houses on Old Oak Common Lane.

There's still AFAIK no plan for the severed line between Ruislip and Old Oak. It would be nice to provide some infrastructure or if there's no viable rail plan maybe even turn it into something like an express cycleway which would benefit passengers from NW London getting to OOC.

takno

Established Member
There's still AFAIK no plan for the severed line between Ruislip and Old Oak. It would be nice to provide some infrastructure or if there's no viable rail plan maybe even turn it into something like an express cycleway which would benefit passengers from NW London getting to OOC.
There's no shortage of credible rail plans for it. It's just that it's not the priority at the moment. If they started developing out the rail plans, the costs would just end up going on HS2's tab, and we really don't need more expense on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.