Old picture which claims to be Lancing station

Discussion in 'Railway History & Nostalgia' started by mike57, 13 Jul 2018.

1. mike57

mike57 Member

Found this picture amongst the family photo's which I inherited, According to my Grandmothers writing on the back claims to be Lancing. It was probably taken in the mid 1920's based on the pictures it was found with.

So is it Lancing? I've had a look online and it doesn't look like Lancing and I cant see any name boards Lancing Station 1920s cropped.png

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. 30907

30907 Established Member

This 1965 photo of Lancing
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/31890193@N08/14571647993
    looks pretty much the same. The major difference is the footbridge (presumably added at electrification).
    The loco is E2 060T 102 (B102/2102/32102) and from the plain headcode discs I would guess the photo is in early SR days.

4. Hornet

Hornet Member

Lancing.jpg

LANCING 14:14 BRIGHTON TO WEST WORTHING 21/06/1986

5. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

Ouch - offside door fully open...!!!

6. Dannygee

Dannygee Member

That is definitely Lancing station.

Living in Lancing & comparing your pic to another on a local Lancing history Facebook page, it's the same.

The pub on the left is The Railway, then renamed The Merry Monk & now The Railway again. Great pic.

7. John Webb

John Webb Established Member

I think it's the end of the second coach that's visible - can't see the running board under the doors at that point - and I can't imagine why anyone would let a door be open like that either. And the signalman would have had a good view if it was an open door!

8. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

It's a door; it's curved outwards and has a light coloured interior. The carriage ends on the Mk1 units were all painted black. It's only just gone past the signalbox so would have only been spotted at around the same moment the photo was taken.

Seeing a door open like that was an unfortunately very common sight in those days; even more common was a door on the second catch only - a several times a day occurence.

9. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

I wouldn't swear to it, but I agree it does appear to be an open door. I saw several instances of such things over the years, but not to the extent of calling it a common phenomenon, other than perhaps on the South Eastern side at London Bridge where, regrettably, it was sometimes followed by catastrophic injury or death. It's almost unbelievable to think now we were so blasé about this, though we have gone perhaps too far the other way now in risk aversion.

10. 30907

30907 Established Member

I concur - possibly left on the latch at Brighton, but not swung open until after Shoreham (where it ought to have been spotted!)?

11. John Webb

John Webb Established Member

Fair enough - I'll accept that it was an open door on the evidence provided!

12. Hornet

Hornet Member

For the benefit of doubt.

Lancing.jpg

Attached Files:

13. mike57

mike57 Member

OK thanks. Feel free to share with the Facebook page, its members only, and this is a one off as I had aunt who lived there for some years, but doubt I will come across anymore pictures.

14. Dannygee

Dannygee Member

Thanks very much, I will. .