• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old publications - Any value ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

malc-c

Whilst visiting my mother-in-law the other day, she said she had been having a bit of a clearout and came across some magazines and plans that my father-in-law used to own. I've no intention of selling them as they hold a lot of sentimental value, but wondered what they may be worth.

Dave was mad keen on LNER A3's and A4s to the extent that he made a large model (which he later scrapped as he wasn't happy with its detail) of 4472 from wood, all free hand from plans. So we have Loco Profile 1 and 19, both in mint condition.

Another publication is "the LNER company 4-6-2 Pacific type express tender locomotive exhibited at the British Empire Exhibition, Wembley 1924" - this has 8 extremely detailed pull out plans and drawings. Again in very good condition.

Additionally, around 10 years or so back he purchased an O gauge model of 4472, plus a set of "full size" plans for O gauge LNER coaching stock and just before his death he had built three coaches from card, wood and plastic strip etc, with real teak veneered panels. My brother-in-law had the models, but I've now found the prints of plans originally drawn by John E Skinley in Southend-On-Sea back in the 1930's.

DRG no 158 - A3 loco
DRG no P177 - 1st class corridor
DRG no P176 - 3rd class corridor
DRG no P179 - 3rd class brake comp
DRG no P162 - Bogie vestibule brake
DRG no P178 - 1st and 3rd comp corridor
DRG no P165 - Kitchen car -
DRG no P166 - 3rd class restaurant car
DRG no P164 - 1st class restaurant car
DRG no P174 - 1st class kitchen / restaurant
DRG no P163 - Buffet car
DRG no P169 - Buffet car "tourist stock"
DRG no P175 - Open 3rd class
DRG no P168 - 3rd class twin articulated saloon "Tourist stock"
DRG no P167 - 3rd class brake composite "Tourist stock"

Plus

DRG no 121 - LNER 8 wheel low sided tender
DRG no CF2 - LNER A4 cab fittings

And

DRG no 75 - LMSR (MR) 4-2-2 tender loco
DRG no 13 - LMSR 4-6-0 tender loco number 5552
DRG no 172 - LNER (GE) 4-4-0 tender loco number 1900

All the above appear to have been kept folded and stored out of the sun as they have little or no yellowing around the edges.

Just curious to hear what others think these may be worth, and if these are of some historic value

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

malc-c

Wow..thanks, didn't expect that ! - I've since found out that the 1924 manual seems to be around £70 !!!! - so quite a bit of value there, not that I intend to sell.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Malc; that's what people are asking for on eBay. Whether they get that amount is another matter.....
Quite! I was recently looking for a rare, out-of-print railway book and could only find some joker in the USA offering it for $1,000. I sent a nice email to the original publisher and managed to ferret out a virgin copy that had come to light at the designers. They kindly supplied it at the original cover price and even threw in postage and packing as a goodwill gesture. Bless them all. :D

silverfoxcc

Malc sent you a pm

Ron

Malcolm

Thanks for the offer

He already has one

Best Wishes

Ron

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.