• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old railway carriages repurposed for other uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassmike

On Moderation
Mods note - split from this thread:

For a long time, there was a Mk1 coach down on the pavement near Deptford station in use as a snack bar--don't know if it's still there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ANDREW_D_WEBB

For a long time, there was a Mk1 coach down on the pavement near Deptford station in use as a snack bar--don't know if it's still there.
This was former Class 421 71085, which https://knowyourlondon.wordpress.com/2014/11/08/deptford-project/ suggests is no longer there.
"
n February 2008 a railway carriage was installed on a short length of railway track beside Deptford High Street. It was sited on land that is being redeveloped to create a new public square near Deptford Station, along with a large housing development, designed by Richard Rogers.

The public space, with a weekend creative industries market, shops and galleries, is intended for a new heart to Deptford High Street. As well as rebuilding Deptford Station, the old inclined plane, built to move railway engines onto the new tracks which opened in 1836, will also be restored to its former glory.

The 35 tonne 1960s South East railway carriage made its way from Essex by road, on a low-loader, on Valentine’s Day, 14 February 2008. It travelled at a painstaking two miles per hour down the A11. The carriage was transported to Deptford at midnight, clearing the nearby railway bridge with inches to spare.

REPORT THIS AD

Px1644_800x500 - 19 Jul 2008

Above: The railway carriage in July 2008 enjoying good use as a cafe by patrons sitting inside and also outside on the specially constructed decking.

The carriage was converted into a cafe / bistro and proved to be very popular. Over the weekend it drew crowds of people who enjoyed the unusual surroundings – as well as the good breakfasts !

Px5292_800x500 - 11 Oct 2014

Above: Wording on the hoarding, 11 October 2014, expressing the hopes of the locals that the railway carriage will return to its old spot.

Sadly, in 2014 the railway carriage had to be removed to facilitate the building work that was under way to complete the new square and renovate the inclined plane. As can be seen from the sign on the hoarding, the locals are very much hoping that the carriage will be returned when all the work is completed."

bishdunster

This was former Class 421 71085, which https://knowyourlondon.wordpress.com/2014/11/08/deptford-project/ suggests is no longer there.
"
n February 2008 a railway carriage was installed on a short length of railway track beside Deptford High Street. It was sited on land that is being redeveloped to create a new public square near Deptford Station, along with a large housing development, designed by Richard Rogers.

The public space, with a weekend creative industries market, shops and galleries, is intended for a new heart to Deptford High Street. As well as rebuilding Deptford Station, the old inclined plane, built to move railway engines onto the new tracks which opened in 1836, will also be restored to its former glory.

The 35 tonne 1960s South East railway carriage made its way from Essex by road, on a low-loader, on Valentine’s Day, 14 February 2008. It travelled at a painstaking two miles per hour down the A11. The carriage was transported to Deptford at midnight, clearing the nearby railway bridge with inches to spare.

REPORT THIS AD

Px1644_800x500 - 19 Jul 2008

Above: The railway carriage in July 2008 enjoying good use as a cafe by patrons sitting inside and also outside on the specially constructed decking.

The carriage was converted into a cafe / bistro and proved to be very popular. Over the weekend it drew crowds of people who enjoyed the unusual surroundings – as well as the good breakfasts !

Px5292_800x500 - 11 Oct 2014

Above: Wording on the hoarding, 11 October 2014, expressing the hopes of the locals that the railway carriage will return to its old spot.

Sadly, in 2014 the railway carriage had to be removed to facilitate the building work that was under way to complete the new square and renovate the inclined plane. As can be seen from the sign on the hoarding, the locals are very much hoping that the carriage will be returned when all the work is completed."
Seems very odd, having been involved in moving lots of locos and stock by road, why would it only have been doing 2 MPH down the A11 ?

Sulzer:1999

There are also the two former former Mk1 Southern Electrics now permanently welded side by side forming a Resturant & kitchen at Grantown-on-Spey East.
These form part of the ‘Grantown East’ visitor attraction centred around the former railway station, which also has a 7 1/4 inch gauge steam operated miniature railway.
Despite the location, this has no connection to the Strathspey Railway, (which will extend eventually to Grantown-on-Spey West), this development is by the Revack Estate.

SargeNpton

Established Member
The former goods shed at Castle Ashby station, on the old Northampton-Wellingborough line, was for a couple of decades a restaurant with a couple of old coaches attached. Closed a few years back when the family sold up.

At Rushden station one of the parked up coaches in the platform is used as a games room.

DB

There's a pub just north of York (beside the ECML) with several coach bodyshells (restaurant, I think). Also a Mk1 cut in half at a pub in Hull - somewhere round the avenues area as I recall.

superjohn

There are three Mk1 carriages and a former Oakham station platform that form a restaurant at Fen Drayton, near Cambridge.

Darandio

Established Member
There's a pub just north of York (beside the ECML) with several coach bodyshells (restaurant, I think).

Yep, The Sidings. It's also a hotel in normal times. In fact given the recent announcement on quarantine it's one hotel I wouldn't mind being put in for 10 days, just not for £1750!

Dunfanaghy Rd

Of course, on the Isle of Wight Steam Railwaythere are several carriages that have been re-re-purposed - carriages to sheds/chalets and back to carriages.
Pat

ANDREW_D_WEBB

The Old Station Inn at Hallatrow in Somerset has Mk1 25752 in the garden which is used as a restaurant. It is on or close to the alignment of the line the station served until 1959

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
The Rattler pub on the seafront at South Shields is partly made from Mk1 coaching stock. There was a Mk1 CEP coach in a pub near Dinsdale (Teesside Airport) can’t remember the name of the pub not sure if it is still there as I remember a previous similar thread to this suggesting it had gone

TrenHotel

Mods note - split from this thread:

The Deptford coach is owned by the developer U+I - it’s in storage at Morden Wharf in Greenwich awaiting another use.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
One of the Brighton Belle Pullman coaches (Hazel) was used for many years at the Black Bull in Moulton between Richmond and Darlington. Very nice it was to! it was apparently "found":

Further details here:

rail.co.uk:
The Brighton Belle Trust has now acquired former Brighton Belle Trailer Pullman First ‘Hazel’ (Car S279S) from the Black Bull Inn at Moulton in North Yorkshire having spent 40 years as a highly praised restaurant.

Hazel moved north in August 1972 when George Pagendam travelled from Yorkshire to London, making the return trip from London to Brighton in ‘Hazel’. On his return to Moulton, he wrote to British Rail offering to buy this wonderful car when the Brighton Belle was withdrawn from service in 1972.

The carriage was moved by rail from Brighton to Darlington via the Watford and Carlisle to the East Coast Main Line to the Whesso rail sidings in Darlington. It was externally restored to umber cream livery, with full lining and transfers before being moved to the Black Bull Inn at Moulton and on to a short section of track at the rear of the Black Bull Inn.

The purchase took two years to negotiate and was acquired by the 5BEL Trust 40 years after being moved north and taken to the Trust’s engineering base at Barrow Hill near Chesterfield.

sprinterguy

Established Member
One of the Brighton Belle Pullman coaches (Hazel) was used for many years at the Black Bull in Moulton between Richmond and Darlington. Very nice it was to! it was apparently "found":

Further details here:

There's another Brighton Belle vehicle, driving trailer No.289, located at the Little Mill Inn in Rowarth, Derbyshire, that's seen use as firstly a restaurant and latterly guest accommodation since withdrawal in 1972:

Attachments

• Derbyshire Belle.jpg
    Derbyshire Belle.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 58

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The Rattler pub on the seafront at South Shields is partly made from Mk1 coaching stock. There was a Mk1 CEP coach in a pub near Dinsdale (Teesside Airport) can’t remember the name of the pub not sure if it is still there as I remember a previous similar thread to this suggesting it had gone

IRC that will have been the Fighting Cocks. See here:

Northern Echo: Squire Cocks’ pub at Fighting Cocks was sold to Warwick’s Brewery of Rise Carr in Darlington, and eventually became part of Vaux. Even after the railway lined beside it was lifted in the 1970s, the pub retained its railway link – an old railway carriage was pressed into service as its restaurant.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The couple who own the station buildings at St Germans have one (or possibly two) former GWR coaches behind the station buildings. They've restored (or are restoring) them both and they're available for private hire.

FQTV

The couple who own the station buildings at St Germans have one (or possibly two) former GWR coaches behind the station buildings. They've restored (or are restoring) them both and they're available for private hire.

They have a few at St. Germans, and also one down at St. Erth. They were featured on @timmydunn 's railway architecturama recently.

The website for the carriage holidays is: https://railholiday.co.uk/

WesternLancer

Established Member
a 1920s carriage within this house, that has been built around it
and others in the area - all a lot older than Mk 1 conversions of course

Pics on these links clearly show the repurposed carriages as parts of the buildings concerned

HBP

There's a pub just north of York (beside the ECML) with several coach bodyshells (restaurant, I think).
I’ve not eaten there yet but have enjoyed a few pints in the beer garden.

Attachments

• 5BC47BEE-5BE6-448E-BF92-C4484CF0FBF8.png
    5BC47BEE-5BE6-448E-BF92-C4484CF0FBF8.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 26
  • 2BE6B6C8-2356-404C-BBE3-CCB0DA29A862.png
    2BE6B6C8-2356-404C-BBE3-CCB0DA29A862.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 25

RuralRambler

We've stayed in one of the two coaches converted into holiday homes at Coalport Station (Nr Ironbridge), and very good it was too!

Attachments

• Coalport-Station-9.jpg
    Coalport-Station-9.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 29

Bevan Price

Established Member
Rainhill Museum is a Mark 1 coach parked next to the Library. Exhibits are mostly about the Liverpool & Manchester Railway. including the Rainhill Trials. See

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The former Jesmond station (replaced by Tyne and Wear Metro) is a pub called The Carriage and also has a LNER brake coach (if it's still there).

The former Jesmond station (replaced by Tyne and Wear Metro) is a pub called The Carriage and also has a LNER brake coach (if it's still there).
No it's not a brake. It's a former Great Northern/LNER "Family Saloon" numbered 397. Before being installed at the old Jesmond station she'd actually been on the British Rail approved list, allowing her to operate on the national British Rail network. A friend and fellow member of the LNERCA based on the North Yorkshire Moors had a look at her, but the then owner wanted to much, asked more than my friend was able to offer. The result 397 became [a now landlocked] static vehicle.

Last edited:

WesternLancer

Established Member
No it's not a brake. It's a former Great Northern/LNER "Family Saloon" numbered 397. Before being installed at the old Jesmond station she'd actually been on the British Rail approved list, allowing her to operate on the national British Rail network. A friend and fellow member of the LNERCA based on the North Yorkshire Moors had a look at her, but the then owner wanted to much/ asked more than my friend was able to offer. The result 397 became [a now landlocked] static vehicle.
Shame - as that sounds like a v historic vehicle.

I
Shame - as that sounds like a v historic vehicle.
It is. Though I take the view as it still survives and there's always "Tomorrow," when it coms to restoring her to running order if you get my meaning....... I'll post some the photos I took a number of years ago. As I'm using my work P.C. and thus don't have access to them. In more recent times the carriage has been painted, with the side facing onto the Metro avoiding line having had attention from the "graffiti artists". Though originally when it first arrived it was in full Teak panelled glory. Which when looked after is a sight to behold........ As for it's age it'll be 100 plus dating from just before the Great War 1905-1914 period, it being a Gresley and he became G.N. Carriage superintendent in 1905. As promised here are my photos taken in 2012.-

Attachments

• 2012_09230001.JPG
    2012_09230001.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 75
  • 2012_09230002.JPG
    2012_09230002.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 75
  • 2012_09230003.JPG
    2012_09230003.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 74
Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I doubt a 100-year old wooden bodied coach would be allowed on the national network today without major modifications that would destroy much of its heritage. Not sure what state it's currently in at Jesmond but maybe that's the best place for it?

From this thread it seems to be one of the few "grounded" coaches that isn't either a Mk1 or some sort of Pullman.

Status
Not open for further replies.