• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old railway lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazelle

Been clearing grandad's shed and have come across a lamp.
I know both he and his dad worked on the railways so guess
that is why he had it.
I have been told it is something I should investigate so am hoping
someone on here can advise me about it.
It was made by Bulpitt & sons in 1880, the glass panels are very thick and intact, some damage to the fretwork on top.
It is 16' high.

I can post a photo if someone can advise me how to.

Thanks
Ann

Attachments

• DSCF2565.jpg
    DSCF2565.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 63
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

michael769

Established Member
Cannot tell you anything about the lamp but...

Bulpitt & Sons was a 19th century Brass foundry who branched out into manufacturing. They were well known for manufacturing lamps both domestic and industrial, including lamps for lighthouses and the railways. They supplied lamps for signals to North British Railways at one point. They also were one of the first manufacturers of (brass) plug in electric kettles.

At the start of the 20th century they registered the Swan brand for their new range of aluminium kitchen and cooking utensils.

In the 1970s the company was taken over by the electrical manufacturer BSR and many on the forum will no doubt be familiar with the Swan name as a manufacturer of kettles and small kitchen appliances in the 1970s and early 1980s, as they were quite popular at the time.

The brand was purchased at the end of the 1980s by Moulinex and shortly after the Bulpitt & Sons company was officially wound up. In 2001 Moulinex itself went bust and was acquired by Tefal. The Swan brand is now licensed to a group of former employees from the Swan factory in Staffordshire.

Their early 20th Century lamps sell for between £50 and £300 (though some of the rarer marine signalling lamps can reach £1500), but it might be worth getting yours valued as I have never heard of a 19th century example, so it may be worth a little more for rarity value.

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Bulpitt_and_Sons

Last edited:

gazelle

Thank you Michael for that very interesting information, very kind
of you to pass it on.

It has made me decide to try and find out more now, Ok it would be
nice if it were worth something but I want to know what it's history is.
If I remember to do so I will post on here should I get to know more.
best wishes
Ann

O L Leigh

Established Member
I hate to burst your bubble, but unless there is something to tie this lamp to the railways (e.g. a railway company crest, etc) I would be inclined to think it has nothing specific to do with the railways. It certainly isn't a head or tail lamp attached to a train.

O L Leigh

Status
Not open for further replies.