• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

old railway timetables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken H

On Moderation
Is there a national collection of old railway timetables? and is it on line at all?
does the NRM have all the Bradshaws and BR timetables?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
I think the NRM may have most of the Bradshaws, but I don't think they have a full collection of BR timetables - it would be enormous!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
In 1976 I advertised in pop music papers a 'Rare Records Price Guide' that I'd cobbled together, price 75p, each 4 page copy photocopied. I sold a few, but was a little surprised about a fortnight later to receive a letter from the British Library demanding that three (I think) copies be sent to them free of charge as their right under some Act of Parliament, so, I'd say in theory, they should possess every single network timetable there's ever been, and a lot more besides. :lol:

Taunton

Established Member
This is the 1939 LMS passenger timetable. Fortunately summer, always the one to have with all the extra services.

https://archive.org/details/1939LMS/page/n23

You can download it as a pdf. It's about 1 gB so do it somewhere where you have free bandwidth. You can also go through it on line as well. I've never worked out if they have any other ones there.

and this site has full Western Region scanned pdfs of plenty of working timetables, which again can be downloaded

http://www.michaelclemensrailways.co.uk/default.aspx?atk=572

One day i hope one of the mainstream national libraries will put some full editions of their big collections on line in a comparable manner, that would be a very welcome public resource.

Andy873

This is the 1939 LMS passenger timetable. Fortunately summer, always the one to have with all the extra services.

https://archive.org/details/1939LMS/page/n23

You can download it as a pdf. It's about 1 gB so do it somewhere where you have free bandwidth. You can also go through it on line as well. I've never worked out if they have any other ones there.

They also have an LNER one also 1939:
https://archive.org/details/1939LNER

And a Bradshaw's guide 1944:
https://archive.org/details/BradshawsGuideForGreatBritainAndIrelandNo.1328March1944

nw1

Established Member
The era that seems missing from most of these timetable archives is the "modern" BR era, i.e the 1970s, 1980s and early 1990s. Typically that's the era I'm probably most interested in! Most archives are either from the "old days" or post-privatisation.

Anyone know of any (online) resources for this era ? Either regular timetables or WTTs particularly from London terminals would be good to have, and I'd be particularly interested in the era immediately before I started using the railways, i.e about 1978-82 - though anything from around 1970-95 would be of interest.

Thanks.

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The era that seems missing from most of these timetable archives is the "modern" BR era, i.e the 1970s, 1980s and early 1990s. Typically that's the era I'm probably most interested in! Most archives are either from the "old days" or post-privatisation.

Anyone know of any (online) resources for this era ? Either regular timetables or WTTs particularly from London terminals would be good to have, and I'd be particularly interested in the era immediately before I started using the railways, i.e about 1978-82 - though anything from around 1970-95 would be of interest.

Thanks.

Not online resources but I have a number from the era.

thenorthern

Established Member
There is the Wayback Machine to view timetables of TOCs post 2000ish but its not the easiest thing to navigate.

nw1

Established Member
Can scan specific pages if you like.
OK thanks, maybe Table 156 (Waterloo-Woking-Guildford)/158(SW Main Line)/166(Portsmouth Direct) for selected years between 1978/9 and 1981/2 inclusive if you have those? If that's feasible I'll message you my private email.
Thanks.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
OK thanks, maybe Table 156 (Waterloo-Woking-Guildford)/158(SW Main Line)/166(Portsmouth Direct) for selected years between 1978/9 and 1981/2 inclusive if you have those? If that's feasible I'll message you my private email.
Thanks.

Unfortunately I don't have the GB timetables for those years, my earliest GB-wide one is Sunmer 1988.

Status
Not open for further replies.