• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old Routes you Miss

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtradj

liverpool - poole
liverpool - reading
liverpool - cardiff
blackpool - euston
liverpool - edinburgh
liverpool - stansted

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

Not strictly gone, but very few services do this ... Brockenhurst - Christchurch!

I've done it just the once, a few weeks ago during severe disruption.

Respite

I just miss 47's on any routes!

But the ones I miss the most is from years ago:-
Aberystwth-Euston (class37 to Wolves or salop)
Shrewsbury-Euston(class 47 to Wolves)

Established Member
Euston-Brum Silverlinks (OK there are still one or two)
Brum/Crewe-Holyhead
Rugby-Gatwick
1713 Stoke-Rugby (storming down the Trent on a 304,310 or other odd unit which was kicked out)
Worcester-Barnt Green shuttle was good, Lickey from front seat of a bubble
Inverness-Euston Clansman

Just don't get the current "fashion" for splitting services...

16CSVT2700

Established Member
50s on;
Padd-Oxford Network Expresses
Waterloo-Exeters

Only just old enough to remember these :cry::sad8:

Ascot

Established Member
Birmingham to Holyhead via Crewe (yes i know their is a run to Holyhead at night)

Wolverhampton to Coventry

London Waterloo to West Wales

Jim

Established Member
Portsmouth Harbour - Liverpool Lime St
London Waterloo - Fishguard HBR
Portsmouth Harbour - Barry Island
Brighton - Millford Haven
Fishguard HBR - Liverpool Lime St

^ All now gone rare (once a day) workings worked by W&W 158's

Weymouth - Bristol (37 Hauled)
Weymouth - Bristol (31 Hauled)

^Both bashed more times than anyone? from here

devon_metro

Established Member
Would have to be the Exeter-Waterloo 50s. Think i remember a 50 hauled PGN-PADD aswell. Also the VXC HST PNZ-Aberdeen.

Tom C

Vacs on Paddington to Birmingham, Hereford and Oxford plus Waterloo to the South West.

Established Member
50s on;
Padd-Oxford Network Expresses
Waterloo-Exeters

Only just old enough to remember these :cry::sad8:

Always preferred a crompton myself, Padd-Oxfords were top trains though.
Is this about missing old routes or just the power?

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I always found the direct Bridlington/Beverley-Manchester services useful, changing at Hull is much less convenient, and the connections are often poor now.

Turbostar

Def the 50's on Waterloo-Exeter. Always went to Surbiton on my saturday day trips to London (was living in Kent at the time), & the sight & sound of them thundering through the station, those were the days. :smile:

Mart

Dennis

Established Member
I miss the direct Bristol - Oxford trains which were run by Great Western / Thames trains a few years back. 165 being pushed to it's limits up through Box tunnel, just about keeping up with HST timings thanks to the shorter station dwell times and faster acceleration / deceleration, great stuff.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I miss the BTM - OXF runs too. Never had a chance to bash one, but it would have been fun I'll bet!

Other runs I miss include the New Radnor - Kington - Leominster ones, as well as Leominster - Worcester via Bromyard, Hereford - Brecon and onwards to Swansea via Hay-on-Wye and Three Cocks Junction, as well as the route from Three Cocks Junction through Mid Wales, the Heads of the Valleys run (it would be much more fun going to Merthyr Tydfil, Aberdare and the like via this route than the much longer way via the Marches and Cardiff up through Pontypridd and onto the corresponding branch)...

then there's also the link between Severn Beach and Pilning, which would have been great to do!

It'll be noted that all of the above routes and services, bar Severn Beach - Pilning and Bristol - Oxford (not 100% certain with the former), were before I would have been born, these lines being withdrawn decades ago. Indeed, New Radnor - Kington was withdrawn in 1951, Kington - Leominster in 1955. The others followed suit in the 1950s and 1960s unfortunately. If they were still in existance, promoted properly, run with reasonable stock (Hereford to Swansea via Brecon with 158s for instance) and upgraded to run at a speed of more than a handful of miles per hour, then we'd have a much better network. Alas, they've gone, and will never be back.

EDIT: Who could forget the Regional Eurostars and Nightstar? If they were still about I'd be loving it, and I daresay more of the country would be too. If it's one thing people hate, it's the lack of decent connections without staying in London overnight each side of a trip with Eurostar. It's OK for those, mainly, in the NSE area, but outside of that, you've no chance. Rely on the Caledonian Sleeper to ship you down from the Highlands to Euston in time? That's asking for trouble. Those connecting Eurostars now would go a long way to making international travel so much easier...Inter-connecting HSTs from this part of the world (Hereford, Cardiff, Swansea and Carmarthen for examples) would be most welcome too!

Jordy

Established Member
Grimsby-Birmingham/Nottingham etc - used to be a 170, now all we get is a 153 to Newark. Going back before I can remember, the direct HST to KX via Doncaster, and even further, Deltics to KX via Louth!

Jordy

Status
Not open for further replies.