• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old school stations from a Virgin Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.
07:35 Euston to Manchester Piccadilly on 18 December. Train manager/conductor announces train as stopping at Crewe, Wilmslow, Stockport Edgeley and Manchester Piccadilly. A nice one off touch I thought, but approaching Crewe passengers were told they could change for Chester General.

I did wonder for a moment whether Piccadilly would become Manchester London Road, but I’m guessing that would have confused people whereas Edgeley and General hopefully did not. I wonder if he announces Carlisle Citadel and Lancaster Castle?

All in all a good announcement, possibly missed by most other people.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

8J

There is a certain TPE conductor (Lime Street based) who announces "This is the xx:12 service to" Newcastle Central" and also says "Leeds City"!

One Northern conductor I've noticed announces "St Helens Shaw Street", "Bolton Trinity Street" and "Southport Chapel Street"!

xotGD

Established Member
There is a certain TPE conductor (Lime Street based) who announces "This is the xx:12 service to" Newcastle Central" and also says "Leeds City"!

One Northern conductor I've noticed announces "St Helens Shaw Street", "Bolton Trinity Street" and "Southport Chapel Street"!
If he announces 'Leeds Central' it's time to adopt the brace position.

Is Darlington Bank Top also part of the repertoire?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

I thought it still was officially Newcastle Central!!!

tiptoptaff

Established Member
On a side note - my Nan always used to refer to Cardiff Central as Cardiff General. I guess that comes from her growing up with it like that

HLE

Established Member
One LM guard from Bletchley/Northampton still announces Nuneaton as ‘Nuneaton Trent Valley’.

Loved hearing it.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
07:35 Euston to Manchester Piccadilly on 18 December. Train manager/conductor announces train as stopping at Crewe, Wilmslow, Stockport Edgeley and Manchester Piccadilly. A nice one off touch I thought, but approaching Crewe passengers were told they could change for Chester General.

I did wonder for a moment whether Piccadilly would become Manchester London Road, but I’m guessing that would have confused people whereas Edgeley and General hopefully did not. I wonder if he announces Carlisle Citadel and Lancaster Castle?

I've had that guy before. He also does Macclesfield Central too.

Shame he doesn't go the whole hog with Manchester London Road, for connections to Bolton Trinity Street.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
There used to be a GWR conductor who announced Gwinear Road as we approached the site of that station, although he made clear the train would not be stopping there.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I've had Tunbridge Wells Central announced on a Charing Cross train in the mid 1990's.

johntea

Established Member
You can often tell when 'local' crews are on train services, in particular many times on Northern stops have been referred to as 'Cas Vegas' and 'Ponte Carlo' :D

stut

Established Member
Bedford Midland
St Albans City
Cambridge Howfar
Oakham & Allye Faithful
Norwich Thorpe
Colchester North
Chelmsford 123
Farnborough Main
Farnborough an der Oder
Byfleet & New Haw
Corrour & Hee Haw

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
There used to be a GWR conductor who announced Gwinear Road as we approached the site of that station, although he made clear the train would not be stopping there.

Change in a previous century for Helston and Nancegollen (is that right ?)

LowLevel

Established Member
There are some who do it but to be honest the TOCs aren't keen - announcements about stations are meant to be informative and simple for people who may not be familiar with the country let alone the history of local railways - confusing people with disused names isn't that helpful!

The one exception I can think of is Lincoln Central which is known variously as Lincoln Central or just Lincoln in different official media (even our destination blinds differ on the matter!).

xc170

Still a few Northern guards around that announce Hull as Hull Paragon and a couple of XC guards that announce Derby as Derby Midland.

Last edited by a moderator:

adc82140

Established Member
Norman at Twyford used to announce "Reading General" and "Cholsey & Moulsford"

daodao

Established Member
Bedford Midland
St Albans City
Cambridge Howfar
Oakham & Allye Faithful
Norwich Thorpe
Colchester North
Chelmsford 123
Farnborough Main
Farnborough an der Oder
Byfleet & New Haw
Corrour & Hee Haw

St Albans City is the current name for the station on the MML as there is another station in St Albans.

Farnborough Main and Byfleet & New Haw are also both current station names.

Welshman

Established Member

sd0733

Established Member
One LM guard from Bletchley/Northampton still announces Nuneaton as ‘Nuneaton Trent Valley’.

Loved hearing it.

On the job cards it used to say Nuneaton TV for some reason so u guess they are just reading that! From euston a lot don't go that far so they wouldn't know any different!!

GatwickDepress

Established Member
I've had Tunbridge Wells Central announced on a Charing Cross train in the mid 1990's.
On the same line, although heading in the opposite direction, I've had a guard announce "change at St Leonards Warrior Square for Bexhill Central and stations towards Eastbourne and Brighton."

xotGD

Established Member
Arrivals into the low numbered bays at Leeds ought to be announced on the train as 'we are now arriving at Leeds Wellington'.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
I've heard "Islip International Parkway" before and, of course, "March, April, May, June...".

yorksrob

Veteran Member
On the same line, although heading in the opposite direction, I've had a guard announce "change at St Leonards Warrior Square for Bexhill Central and stations towards Eastbourne and Brighton."

I've not heard Bexhill Central announced (yet !).

Wirewiper

On the job cards it used to say Nuneaton TV for some reason so u guess they are just reading that! From euston a lot don't go that far so they wouldn't know any different!!

I did once hear a member of railway staff refer to Lichfield TV as "Lichfield TransVestite".

DarloRich

Veteran Member
There are some who do it but to be honest the TOCs aren't keen - announcements about stations are meant to be informative and simple for people who may not be familiar with the country let alone the history of local railways - confusing people with disused names isn't that helpful!

The one exception I can think of is Lincoln Central which is known variously as Lincoln Central or just Lincoln in different official media (even our destination blinds differ on the matter!).

Exactly - It is all harmless ( if tedious ) stuff however I have just checked with my mum and girlfriend about this. They, lacking many of our posters innate knowledge of railway history, would seek alternative confirmation that Stockport Edgeley was, in fact, the Stockport station they needed to get off at. They don't care if Stockport once had many station and one was called Edgeley. They just want to get off the train at the right point!

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

There’s a TM on VTWC I’ve heard referring to Rugby as Rugby Midland. Almost certainly the same guy.

bramling

Veteran Member

What on earth is the deal with Lincoln versus Lincoln Central? Is it purely that St Marks closed comparatively recently so the name Central has just stuck and not quite had as much time as others to wither away? Unlike other such situations the name Central seems to persist in some pretty official locations - including recorded station announcements at King’s Cross for example.

I can understand Hull Paragon as that name is still in common use and also refers to the new bus interchange. But Lincoln Central is entirely meaningless and is a pure railway creation.

Status
Not open for further replies.