• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old Signal Boxes in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

algytaylor

Helsby there is a rather nice signal box right there on the station platform.
I was going to mention Helsby too :)

Llandrindod on the Heart of Wales line has a (AFAIK not operational) signal box on one platform. On the same line, there's a token switching cabinet thing at Knighton station on the same line as it's a single track section (probably some other places too).

jp4712

You may also wish to visit Settle station, on the Leeds - Carlisle line. Apart from being one of the most scenic lines in the UK, the station signalbox is open most Saturdays. It is no longer connected to the railway, having been replaced, but this means that the volunteers are free to give demonstrations and even give visitors a go - I did it and it's fascinating.

That said, even a hands-on signalbox doesn't hold the attention for very long - 30 minutes is enough and the town of Settle is pleasant but unlikely to entertain you for long, so if you visit try to arrange for your travel to and from Settle appropriately, and not scheduled to be there too long.

At this time of year it's best to contact the volunteers in advance to be sure there will be someone there. https://www.foscl.org.uk/content/settle-station-signal-box

One more point: you're very welcome to the UK of course, and to enjoy your visit I recommend that you save https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced and https://traksy.uk/live to your smartphone. They give you real-time information on where trains are and save a LOT of waiting and wondering.

Meole

The rail user group are pressing hard for the removal of manual signalling on the Cumbrian coast and the eradication of manual crossing, significant investment on track renewal is underway, if you want to see the remaining boxes, around 15, hurry.

peteb

In addition to Worcester (Post #7) there's some really good semaphores at Droitwich Spa between Worcester and Kidderminster. This is quite a busy junction where lines to and from Birmingham via GW and LMS routes converge. Access via car park to signals near the box, also interesting array on the platform.

The Cornish Main Line (Plymouth to Penzance) is well worth a visit, with 6 manual boxes in use, plus a further example on the Newquay branch. They have been life-extended with capacity enhancements to allow a half-hourly passenger service from December - eventual central control from Didcot or wherever is receding further and further into the distance. Par signal-box is the only remaining box on Network Rail to have signalled broad-gauge trains.

RichardKing

In the SE, Newhaven Town & Harbour boxes are to close tomorrow and Lewes box is to close on Friday.

BRblue

Tommorrow? Do you mean close of service?
Close of service tonight 27/11, possession from tonight until Monday morning to re-control the signalling to Three Bridges ROC.
As stated above... tomorrow there are no trains from Lewes to Haywards Heath or Newhaven/Seaford... and I believe both Newhaven boxes will shut permanently.
No trains at all to/from Lewes on Friday, Saturday and Sunday... Lewes box will shut permanently.
If everything goes to plan of course...

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Close of service tonight 27/11, possession from tonight until Monday morning to re-control the signalling to Three Bridges ROC.
As stated above... tomorrow there are no trains from Lewes to Haywards Heath or Newhaven/Seaford... and I believe both Newhaven boxes will shut permanently.
No trains at all to/from Lewes on Friday, Saturday and Sunday... Lewes box will shut permanently.
If everything goes to plan of course...

Yes, of course, I have lost track of days recently.... I had previously noted the blockade in my diary and thus remember now duh

Zamracene749

The signal Boxes at Hexham and Wylam on the Tyne Valley line are worth a visit, unusual because they are built above the railway! I believe that there are still semaphore signals around Stockton on Tees, Norton and Billingham. PS if you enjoy your beer, good traditional English beer doesn't come much better than in the 'Boathouse' pub next to Wylam station :) Prost!

Status
Not open for further replies.