• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old Tickets Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

table38

Established Member
Where do people keep their old tickets? (Assuming they do!)

I recently bought one of these for another purpose entirely, only to discover that the drawers are exactly the right size for tickets.

IMAG2004.jpg

Even the ridges for the dividers work to keep partially filled drawers tidy.

Probably overkill, although with 18 drawers, I could probably waste an afternoon inventing some fiendishly complicated filing system for various categories of ticket.

Image1.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The bin ;)

Except for special tickets which I keep in a small tin in a drawer.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Business card holders, that didn't last very long though so they now live on top of items in bookcases or in boxes.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sometimes I keep my tickets for a while, but most normally they end up torn up and in the recycling or the bin.

I did used to keep my tickets in a Quality Street tin, but to be perfectly I can't be bothered keeping most of my tickets. The odd few have been in use for a while as bookmarks in my NREA, the longest survivor of those is last summer's West Yorkshire Day Rover. I also had my then-expired First Class seat reservation from last Tuesday for the same use, although I might have taken that one out by now.

I've also used the back of some of my recent used seat reservations/used Advances to make notes of recent spending on the back of them. The most unusual use for one I've had in recent months must have been a used Off Peak Day Return covering sight of a particular card in my wallet, which I wasn't wanting to look at at the time! :lol:

If it's anything like the passengers on my train who completely ignore my PAs and verbal announcements when passing through the train to see "all tickets and passes please" usually dumped in the bottom of a handbag or in various ticket wallets which makes finding THE valid ticket a longwinded process..

David Goddard

Established Member
I like to keep my tickets as a record of where I have been. You can easily forget to make notes/write things down when you get home but with the ticket it shows when and where you have been, except of course with a rover which you need to record separately.

This is one of the reasons why I don't like it when gates retain tickets, as you have to ask to retain it or buy an over distance ticket purely so it can be retrieved.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
I keep mine in a large drawer, but any special ones in a box similar to the ones in the OP. Any extra special ones go into a binder with individual slots, which goes into a level arch folder, but they have to be extra special to go in there ;)

steamybrian

Established Member
I collect mainly old Edmondson style tickets.
I have a few modern "credit card" style tickets which are unusual.

Warning- It is possible that laser printed tickets (STAR, TRIBUTE, etc) may eventually fade so unsure how many years that the print on modern day tickets will remain readable.
I have APTIS tickets from the 1980s which are still in mint condition but they were printed differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.