• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old Underground Stock at Eastleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

yummy125

Yesterday (19th May) I had a walk round the side of Eastleigh Works & saw this set of old underground stock waiting to get scrapped:

IMAG0695.jpg

IMAG0697.jpg

IMAG0696.jpg

Network Rail's Class 57 312 & 57 302 were by the front gates. The Class 58's in the Diesel Depot had been moved to the middle of the depot so they can't be seen.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
Good god, can't out-of-use stock sit on the South coast for 5 minutes without getting completely vandalised.

yummy125

I'm sure you will find this was done when they were stored in London as hampshire artist can't do this type of tagging. :razz:

pemma

Veteran Member
I'm sure you will find this was done when they were stored in London as hampshire artist can't do this type of tagging. :razz:

I was actually going to say South East rather than South Coast but I thought someone would say Eastleigh isn't in the South East. First Capital Connect trains seem to be worst for getting vandalised in my opinion.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
There's a lot of A stock knocking about Eastleigh depot, from what I've seen of it on recent railtours through though, this is the only stock I've seen vandalised; the stock inside, along with the old SE 508s, is in quite good nick.

Last edited:

tom1649

It is 1972 mk1 stock from the Northern Line which last ran on 3rd February 1999 to be exact, so they've been sitting around attracting graffiti for a long time. The older 1959 stock soldiered on for a while longer until the last train was withdrawn in January 2000.

tom1649

In BR days it may have actually happened! Give them a good acid wash, re-varnish the wooden floors, put some yellow paint on the ends and change the seat covers and you'd be away. You wouldn't even need to reinstate the guards panels on these as they were crew operated until the end!

klewer

IIRC the 67/72 stock can't be used as it doesn't have a dedicated crew door (sprinters and pacers were built before this became a requirement)

Wouldn't be rocket science to fit a door - not sure where Sprinters/Pacers come into the equation?

Drsatan

Established Member
Wouldn't be rocket science to fit a door - not sure where Sprinters/Pacers come into the equation?

Apparently the unions insisted on having a separate drivers door, although this seems to vary according to TOC.

For instance, on SWT's 158s the door adjacent to the drivers' cab is always locked OOU since it's for the drivers use only, whereas on FGW's 158s there is no dedicated drivers door. I'm not sure whether this is the case on ATW and Northern's 158s too.

You couldn't fit a dedicated drivers door to 67/72 tube stock since you'd almost certainly weaken the body shell by cutting an aperture to it. However, the door adjacent to the drivers cab could always be locked OOU.

starrymarkb

Established Member
It's in the Group Standards, New stock on the main line (and these would not count as previously used) must have a separate door for the driver to access the track away from any passengers. Look at the 444s and 175s as an example.

The Sprinters and Pacers were built before the requirement. hence drivers must use a passenger door to access the track...

What adjacent door? the only side doors on 67/72 stock are in the passenger saloon

fgwrich

Established Member
Not replacement stock for the Isle of Wight then?<D

Wont be happening untill TfL / LU gets around to replacing the 73 stock on the Piccadilliy - Partly because they are newer, partly because theyve already had one rather hefty overhaul by Bombardier and partly for the reasons mentioned above about the separate drivers door.

hello

It's in the Group Standards, New stock on the main line (and these would not count as previously used) must have a separate door for the driver to access the track away from any passengers. Look at the 444s and 175s as an example.

The Sprinters and Pacers were built before the requirement. hence drivers must use a passenger door to access the track...

What adjacent door? the only side doors on 67/72 stock are in the passenger saloon

what about pendolino?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Sorry, was referring to the passenger door nearest to the drivers cab. Should have made myself clearer :oops:

You'd have to block off a third of the carriage from passengers to do this though - if they are used in two car formation like the 1938 stock that's only going to leave one and a third carriages usable per unit.

Michael.Y

Established Member
You can't use former Cut+Cover / Subsurface stock on the IOW anyhoo due to the height of the Ryde tunnels; it would have to be Tube / Deep Level stock. I thought the ex-Victoria Line 67 would have been a shoe-in until I read the above reasoning.

BestWestern

Established Member
I saw in a paper yesterday some bumph about the latest Bond film, which apparently includes a scene with a "tube train crashing through a wall". No idea where or why, but I was curious as to whether they'd used some of this withdrawn stock in filming, any ideas?

Surely Eastleigh is (relatively) secure, so the yobs must have got to these prior to them being moved? Where else have they been stored, and why the long wait for scrapping?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Surely Eastleigh is (relatively) secure, so the yobs must have got to these prior to them being moved? Where else have they been stored, and why the long wait for scrapping?

I definitely read that they arrived from an LT depot in that condition.

millemille

I saw in a paper yesterday some bumph about the latest Bond film, which apparently includes a scene with a "tube train crashing through a wall". No idea where or why, but I was curious as to whether they'd used some of this withdrawn stock in filming, any ideas?

The trailer I've seen for the film looks like a Jubilee or Northern line unit.

millemille

Ah, presumably it's a mock-up or CGI then?

Could be, but there were several spares of the composite cab sections made as part of the original build so it's not beyond possible that one of these was used and enhanced with CGI...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
There was something about it in ( I think ) one of the free newspapers about 2 - 3 months ago when they were doing a feature on Bond. It included a photograph of the mock up in the mocked up station showing the film crew off the side of the platform where you'd normally have the wall.

whhistle

On Moderation
Shame they don't think about using the older stock on Cov-Bhm or even Cross City. A line with many stops only a few miles apart.

Get round the crew door issue by blocking off half the carriage (including that door) to get some air conditioning in the trains. Create a proper gangway and surely you're on to a winner? :P

sprinterguy

Established Member
Shame they don't think about using the older stock on Cov-Bhm or even Cross City. A line with many stops only a few miles apart.

Get round the crew door issue by blocking off half the carriage (including that door) to get some air conditioning in the trains. Create a proper gangway and surely you're on to a winner? :P
If that post wasn't meant in jest, as I suspect it is, then you'd be even more barking mad than the Harrogate Chamber of Commerce! :D

antharro

Bringing this back on topic...

640-IMG_3525.JPG

640-IMG_3542.JPG

640-IMG_3639.JPG

640-IMG_3648.JPG

640-IMG_3676_closeup.jpg

Colindale via Charing Cross?

640-IMG_3678.JPG

To avoid forum blow-out, these are resized versions of just a few of the pics I took.
You can find the rest at higher resolutions HERE.

Status
Not open for further replies.