• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oldest bus in daily passenger service

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbo1234

I visited Blackburn today and was amazed to see Lancashire United ECW bodied Leyland Olympian, Ex Ribble 2173 C173ECK in passenger service.

After a short chat with the driver, he told me that the lads love driving the bus and it is well looked after and is not expected to be disposed of in the near future.

Is this the oldest bus in passenger service, a mere 29 years old, with a large group?

Technically, as Ribble sold out to Blazefield, could you also say with its original owner?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
Western greyhound here in Cornwall are operating a VR LFJ858W almost daily.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
For the big groups, I think Arriva are losing some of their oldest with the Rhyl open top Olympians being replaced by DB250s. Think Stagecoach have some L reg Olyms still going in Northants?

First Kernow have some K reg Olyms still working hard but my fave I'd First Somerset & Avon at Wells have a step floor Dart that has just hit 20 yrs.

As for Transdev Blazefield, they have a couple of B reg Olyms at Harrogate of which one is ex United but the other is ex West Yorkshire Road Car so that's back with its original owner

Deerfold

Veteran Member
There's a handful of Routemasters in London running on the 9 and 15 routes which have been in operation more or less continuously (though on a variety of routes).

These are run by Tower Transit (until recently, First) and Stagecoach London.

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The RM operations in London though are a deliberate heritage initiative and are additional to a high-frequency service using modern (accessible) buses.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The RM operations in London though are a deliberate heritage initiative and are additional to a high-frequency service using modern (accessible) buses.

Indeed - but I thought the question was about vehicles that have been in continuous service?

A0wen

On Moderation
For the big groups, I think Arriva are losing some of their oldest with the Rhyl open top Olympians being replaced by DB250s. Think Stagecoach have some L reg Olyms still going in Northants?

First Kernow have some K reg Olyms still working hard but my fave I'd First Somerset & Avon at Wells have a step floor Dart that has just hit 20 yrs.

As for Transdev Blazefield, they have a couple of B reg Olyms at Harrogate of which one is ex United but the other is ex West Yorkshire Road Car so that's back with its original owner

Have to say I don't recall seeing any of the old Olympians around Northampton for a while now - I think when the X46/X47 received their Goldservice vehicles the displaced deckers were cascaded and I think that did for the Olympians.

Ironically until last year First Northampton would probably have been a contender for some of the oldest vehicles.....

mbonwick

Established Member
Stagecoach in Cumbria still have a trio of K reg B10Ms in service, K710-2 DAO.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Indeed - but I thought the question was about vehicles that have been in continuous service?

Indeed. Just highlighting that there's a difference- all these other old buses are because the operators find it more economic to not replace them!

westcoaster

Established Member
Have to say I don't recall seeing any of the old Olympians around Northampton for a while now - I think when the X46/X47 received their Goldservice vehicles the displaced deckers were cascaded and I think that did for the Olympians.

Ironically until last year First Northampton would probably have been a contender for some of the oldest vehicles.....

Still here and still going mainly kettering based for the 45. Also an old s reg alx400 has just appeared as well.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I visited Blackburn today and was amazed to see Lancashire United ECW bodied Leyland Olympian, Ex Ribble 2173 C173ECK in passenger service.

After a short chat with the driver, he told me that the lads love driving the bus and it is well looked after and is not expected to be disposed of in the near future.

Is this the oldest bus in passenger service, a mere 29 years old, with a large group?

Technically, as Ribble sold out to Blazefield, could you also say with its original owner?

There's plenty of older buses still in use daily on school contracts.

Robert

MK Tom

Established Member
many buses in Milton Keynes (Arriva, Centrebus, Redline etc) seem to have come from museums

Arriva to their credit don't have anything older than R-reg in the MK fleet now. I'm not normally nice to Arriva so remember this moment :p

Redline had two buses for the 21 in half-arsed route branding based on the previous owner's livery. Unfortunately they blew one up on their second week on the route, so now a P-reg Dart is commonplace on it. Still not old though really compared to some of what's discussed above.

Northampton depot still has R694/6/8/9DNH which I see in service every day. Kettering has a few R-reg Olympians too. Don't know about the L-reg, last saw one of those in February. Picture attached from then.

First Northampton's oldest bus in 2013 was J298GNV, which carried their last but one livery right to the end (the fading out one that was replaced way back in 2002).

Attachments

• DSCF5376.jpg
    DSCF5376.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member

Not forgetting First Kernow's D reg Opentop Citybuses that will be out daily for the next 3 months
First Kernow had Step dart N235KAE out a couple of days ago, I believe its currently a reserve vehicle though so not out all the time.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Not forgetting First Kernow's D reg Opentop Citybuses that will be out daily for the next 3 months
First Kernow had Step dart N235KAE out a couple of days ago, I believe its currently a reserve vehicle though so not out all the time.

Ah yes, the Badgerline Citybuses. Remember them in their prime and had a try on one a few years ago from St Ives to Lands End. Very invigorating!!

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Stagecoach East Midlands are using an ex-Grimsby Cleethorpes Fleetline (MBE613R) on the open top service in Cleethorpes this year, previously based at Chesterfield depot.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dearingbuspix/14153726057/

I think Johnson Brothers still have a couple of active Bristol VRs, plus a larger number of Leyland Olympians.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

EDIT: Just checked - Johnsons active VRs are PKE810M, ODL661R, ODL662R, ODL664R and UDL668S.

Last edited:

Bill Stanier

There's a steam bus operating in Whitby, a bus body on a steam lorry chassis. I've fired it!

richw

Veteran Member
Although not a daily service not far short, a company near Helston, Cornwall operate a 1860s horse drawn bus for a wide variety of events and carnivals as well as special tours,
They operate two trips every Wednesday and Saturday around Truro and also twice a week round Falmouth and twice a week helston to Greek, as well as private hire being available.
http://www.thelizardstallions.com/services/horse-drawn-trips/

Last edited:

Strathclyder

Established Member
First Glasgow still has an Olympian (31449 (N960SOS) with Alexander R Type bodywork based at Larkfield Depot. The only reason it's clung on for so long is because it has seatbelts fitted. It was new in 1995.
First Midland Bluebird also operate a few Olympians as well, I think.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
First Glasgow still has an Olympian (31449 (N960SOS) with Alexander R Type bodywork based at Larkfield Depot. The only reason it's clung on for so long is because it has seatbelts fitted. It was new in 1995.
First Midland Bluebird also operate a few Olympians as well, I think.

And also 31435 is still doing the rounds in Glasgow as well, although 31449 is in much better shape...

Last edited:

Tom B

Established Member
Someone's already mentioned Johnson's who were the first firm that came to mind. MASS Engineering - if they're still going - operated a large fleet of deathtrap Titans certainly a few years ago - although whether they are still on the road, or whether they have all been given prohibition notices by now, is another matter.

richw

Veteran Member
I don't think schools count for this (even though they may be registered local services).

Why not, it asked oldest bus in daily passenger service. School children are still passengers and someone is paying for the service even if it isn't the children.

kevjs

My, there's some rather old buses out there I see - can't remember the last time I saw an old style plate on regular service here. The oldest I see on a daily basis are 51 and 02 reg and they've just been withdrawn from service or will be before term starts in September.

I thought the Nottingham Blockade last summer would bring some relics out but even the Stagecoach's I saw were all new style plates!

richw

Veteran Member
My, there's some rather old buses out there I see - can't remember the last time I saw an old style plate on regular service here. The oldest I see on a daily basis are 51 and 02 reg and they've just been withdrawn from service or will be before term starts in September.

I thought the Nottingham Blockade last summer would bring some relics out but even the Stagecoach's I saw were all new style plates!

Come to Cornwall if you want to see old style registrations on buses, we have about 20 B7s from 2006, and dozen or so Darts from 2003-2006 and a few newer solos. Everything else is 1993-1999 Tridents and Olympians, and T-X plate Darts.

34D

Established Member
Why not ? - the question was 'Is the oldest bus in passenger service'.

Robert

Why not, it asked oldest bus in daily passenger service. School children are still passengers and someone is paying for the service even if it isn't the children.

Surely with an implication that Joe Public can ride without causing a security alert at the local high school?

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Surely with an implication that Joe Public can ride without causing a security alert at the local high school?

Sorry, still don't follow your logic. Are school children not 'passengers' ?. Where did 'Joe Public' become the critical part of the question ?

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.