• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oldest trainee driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy h

Just wondering what age is the oldest trainee driver you've known to get a driving job on the railway?

I've been trying for a few years now since joining the railway at 19 and although I am only 25, I am starting to wonder if I will ever get one. I've come close a couple of times with a couple of freight companies, but unfortunately have just missed out.

I kept my options open by not purchasing a property so I could relocate, but this year I have bit the bullet and bought one which has limited my options somewhat. Hopefully my current TOC will advertise at some point...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Louby

Just wondering what age is the oldest trainee driver you've known to get a driving job on the railway?

I've been trying for a few years now since joining the railway at 19 and although I am only 25, I am starting to wonder if I will ever get one. I've come close a couple of times with a couple of freight companies, but unfortunately have just missed out.

I kept my options open by not purchasing a property so I could relocate, but this year I have bit the bullet and bought one which has limited my options somewhat. Hopefully my current TOC will advertise at some point...

You can be well into your fifties, so plenty of time yet !

ComUtoR

Established Member
55 is the oldest I've known personally. I think there was someone older when this was raised as a subject previously.

Lrd

Established Member
You have nothing to worry about! As others have said you've got at least 30 years until your options start to dwindle...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Which TOC are you at now? You can PM me if you wish.

I've been trying to keep an eye on the jobs available at most TOCs but only on the external sites.

Dave1980

I'm 36 mate and passed everything for Northern so far just waiting on urine test results from my medical and a formal offer!

Andy-mc

Someone on my course was in their early fifties,

If your fit enough for the job and can work long enough to cover the employers investment (which I believe is around 3-5 years) then you have plenty of time to become a driver, obviously I'm sure you don't want to have to wait that long but I wouldn't give up hope for at least another 30 years

Galvanize

I've known of one chap who was in his late 50s when he started training as a driver a couple of years ago, seemed as fit as a fiddle as he would regularly run in the London Marathon!

Sure I read somewhere, maybe on one of those websites like trainee driver.com or somewhere, that the average Age of new drivers is about 36. Would make sense, plenty of life experience and employment history but young enough to provide a decent return on the investment of training costs.

Bromley boy

Established Member
In my group of trainees, I was towards the bottom of the age range, in my early 30s.

The oldest chap on the course was in his early 50s.

The reliability and maturity which (hopefully!) come with age are highly valued in the industry.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

Putting off buying a house in this climate is absolute madness. You're doing your financial prospects damage by delaying it.

theironroad

Established Member
In 2001/02 there was a trainee driver who started at 58 (new to railway) and I believe still going.......

Sammy h

Putting off buying a house in this climate is absolute madness. You're doing your financial prospects damage by delaying it.

It has done me no harm whatsoever, believe me.

Thanks for all your replies guys.

Economist

I know a bloke who joined SWT in his mid-fifties, now he's late sixties and still drives for them.

I've heard quite a few people say that the railway is one of the least ageist employers around.

RBSN

I'm on my 8th week as a trainee and we have a guy in his 50's training too

Budgie

Don't give up on your goals Sammy H, I have recently passed the Assessment Day and am now awaiting a medical before starting the Trainee Train Driver course late next year (2017), when I will be a sprightly 50 year old! The TOC I have applied for will have at least 17 years of loyal service out of me, so I'm not a bad investment for them.

The best advice I can give is to not look too far into the future and instead, concentrate on each step of the process, one step at a time. For example:

1. Get your application all ready for when the job advertisements come out. Use the roles and responsibilities of a Train driver as headings and give lots of examples on your experiences to match each quality the TOC are looking for. Submit your application as soon as the post is advertised as it may be retracted early. You have got to put in a lot of hours to get this part of the process right. Your application has to stand out amongst all the other applicants' applications. There will be a thousand plus to compete with.
  2. I found the telephone interview the hardest part of the process to pass. I tried 4 times before passing it. Again, we are still in the brutal early sifting stages. Make sure you know all the routes, as much about the TOC as possible e.g. how they are funded, any initiatives, a bit of history, their corp values etc. Make sure you mention H&S awareness and Customer service experience. Know the role of a Train driver; I explained the typical daily routine from start of shift to going home at the end of the day, which seems to have done the trick.
  3. At the face to face interview, make sure you have plenty of experiences you can relate to and give your answers in a structured form. Easier said than done I know but if you follow; Situation, Task, Actions (yours) and the Results, you won't go far wrong. Tell the interviewers what YOU did, not what the team did, so you'll be needing to use "I" as opposed to "we". Try to relax, this interview is not as stressful as the telephone interview, in fact I found it a very pleasant experience due to the interviewers' responsiveness. At this stage, they want to get the best out of you, as a lot of effort has been spent getting the right candidates to this stage. Dress smart, invest in a good suit. Relax and don't waffle, if they need more information from you, they will ask you a follow-up question to help you elaborate.
  4. For the Assessment Day, make sure you practice the examples you are sent by the TOC prior to the event. Practice, practice, practice. This is the easiest part of the process, or at least I thought so. Enjoy the experience and just concentrate on your own efforts. Don't concern yourself on how well others are doing. You might think you haven't done so well at one assessment but don't dwell on it, you'll probably find you did fine at it later. Give each assessment your full attention and if you don't understand the process after the practice run, make sure you ask the assessor to go over it again. You get one go at it, so best to make sure you know exactly what is expected of you prior to starting. Relax, you will enjoy it.

Don't give up on your dreams, you will get there in the end, if you are determined and have the right aptitude.

Good luck. :razz:

Status
Not open for further replies.