• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

OLE Structure Bonds

Status
Not open for further replies.

PennineSuperb

A few years ago the rule book changed the name of the OLE Red Bond to a Structure Bond.

In the AC module of the rule book it states:
3.3 Reporting objects and defects to the ECO:
You must immediately make sure the following are reported to the ECO.
• A broken or defective bond, in which case you must tell the ECO the colour of the bond.

Does anyone know the differences in colour of the bond and their meanings? I have seen various colours on the network, presumably they mean they are bonded to different items of infrastructure or bonded differently?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1978NWUK

Simplistically, Black bonds are for bonding metallic structures to traction earth ensuring a quick disconnection of the supply under fault conditions i.e. structure to traction return rail or footbridge to traction return rail.

Red bonds (dangerous when disconnected) are traction return i.e. traction return rail to return conductor, return conductor to return current busbar.

Yellow bonds are also traction return but also provide track circuits integrity i.e. track to track bonds or transposition bonds.

Hopefully that makes sense

Also train side, any damaged cables at the axle boxes should be avoided, reported etc... I'd pan down just incase!

Status
Not open for further replies.