• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

oliver cromwell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deltic1

Hi

was anyone on the oliver cromwell tour from watford to york on the 7 of may 2011?

I was!!! it was the best experiance ever!!

do you have any pictures or film of that day?

thanks

Deltic 1

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eMeS

Does anyone know why the name of "Oliver Cromwell" was chosen for a prestigious steam locomotive? Wasn't he some form of revolutionary? Or is that the reason?

(And I have enjoyed travelling behind Oliver Cromwell.)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Wasn't he some form of revolutionary?

I suppose you could call him that, I guess it depends on your point of view some would accuse him of regicide, being a dictator and of atrocities against the Irish and Scots whilst others would suggest he was a proponent of liberty.

Essentially he was a member of the middle gentry and in the middle of the seventeenth century fought on the side of the parliamentarians as a cavalry commander, he helped to set up the New Model Army and became its 2nd in command. He was one of the signatories of the death warrant of Charles I and after the civil war led missions in Ireland to help pacify the country and then went on to fight in Scotland. He then dismissed by force the Rump Parliament and set himself up as Lord Protector and recreated England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland as a Commonwealth. After his death however the Commonwealth collapsed and the monarchy was restored.

Let me make clear that the above is a ridiculously short barebones coverage of Cromwell's life but he certainly was a fascinating character in the middle of a fascinating period of English history.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Does anyone know why the name of "Oliver Cromwell" was chosen for a prestigious steam locomotive? Wasn't he some form of revolutionary? Or is that the reason?

As Ainsworth74 has ably elaborated on in much greater detail, he was quite a pivotal figure in English history. Many "Britannias" were named after such seminal historical figures.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

is this for real? have you never heard of the civil war? try wiki! (what do they teach people at school thease days?) :D

History lesson removed as i have now read Ainsworths post!

Schnellzug

Established Member
As Ainsworth74 has ably elaborated on in much greater detail, he was quite a pivotal figure in English history. Many "Britannias" were named after such seminal historical figures.

and Lord Hurcomb.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

incidentally, maybe it's a pity that 70013 is vacuum brake only, since it couldn't be used on the Royal Train unlike its sister Britannia. I'd find that rather amusing.

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
1066, Henry 8, Slavery.

Is that really all the history they teach now? Rather different from my School days. We had to learn dates of Kings & Queens, all of Henry VIIIs Wives anda whole lot more from ancient Egypt to the modern day. etc etc etc.

Yew

Established Member
Is that really all the history they teach now? Rather different from my School days. We had to learn dates of Kings & Queens, all of Henry VIIIs Wives anda whole lot more from ancient Egypt to the modern day. etc etc etc.

Pretty much most of it relating to the UK/england. In primary school we did stuff like the tudors, the whole oliver twist stuff, but not massive amounts as we had one hour a week shared with geography.

Then Year 7 it was 1066, going to medevil stuff. Year 7 was mainly slavery. the industrial revolution in Year 9. At GCSE I did the american west, the irish problem, the history of medicine, and stuff on castles and defences.

Maybe not as bad as I suggested earlier, but off the top of my head that was what i remembered, lots of making us feel guilty about some slaves 200 years ago that neither me or any member of my family had anything to do with, but yet somehow it was our fault....

Schnellzug

Established Member
We did the ECW for A Level, so I have an extensive knowledge of the adventures of Mr. C, Praise-God Barebones, the Ranters, the Diggers and the Levellers & c. I ended up feeling rather sorry for ol' Ollie; I think his closing remarks to the Rump Parliament is something we can agree with.

Oliver Cromwell said:
You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
At GCSE I did the american west, the irish problem, the history of medicine, and stuff on castles and defences.

I swear my school was the only one in the country that didn't do the history of medicine at GCSE! Everyone else seems to have done that!

eMeS

Oliver Cromwell?

Well, I did my history at school from 1950 through to 1955. GCEs were just being introduced. (GCSEs followed later.)
I can recall the Romans, William the Conqueror, Turnip Townsend, turnpikes and that's about it.
I'm afraid I concentrated on Latin (Julius Caesar - Veni, vidi, vici; de Bello Gallica etc.) and English (grammar & Shakespeare's histories) as they were required for entrance to university to study physics and engineering, and the rest I've picked up from the TV, and visits to country houses.

Teaboy1

Well you cannot miss his statue outside Westminster, outside the Houses of Parliament was commissioned in 1894 by the Liberal Prime Minister, Lord Rosebery to mark the 300th anniversary of Cromwell's birth in 1599. The statue, by Hamo Thorneycroft, shows Cromwell holding a sword and a Bible, his head bowed in thought. According to one view, this is to avoid the accusing gaze of King Charles, whose bust is on the wall of St Margaret’s Church, directly opposite. It is often remarked that he is the only "monarch" outside the palace for dubious reason, all other proper monarchs are inside.
Popular figure to we English but not so to the Irish, but he did rather ban Christmas and things like generally being happy ..... so an acquired taste to those around in his day !!

70013 out this weekend on mainline with Lincoln Poacher ... all being well ?? KX > Peterbro > Cleethorpes > Lincoln > Peterbro. 70000 Britannia out on S&C. Lets hope for some spring sunshine.

Last edited:

Teaboy1

Me too. Shame but bagged it on SYJR, see my YT line caption. Oddly however no diesel on the back along ECML but one attached by time it reached SYJR. Anyone know what / why it failed?

Last edited:

Harlesden

Pretty much most of it relating to the UK/england. In primary school we did stuff like the tudors, the whole oliver twist stuff, but not massive amounts as we had one hour a week shared with geography.

Then Year 7 it was 1066, going to medevil stuff. Year 7 was mainly slavery. the industrial revolution in Year 9. At GCSE I did the american west, the irish problem, the history of medicine, and stuff on castles and defences.

Maybe not as bad as I suggested earlier, but off the top of my head that was what i remembered, lots of making us feel guilty about some slaves 200 years ago that neither me or any member of my family had anything to do with, but yet somehow it was our fault....

Slavery lasted in America from 1654 until 1865. As America was colonized by the British and the Irish, the first slave owners would therefore have been relocated Britons. Ironically, slavery was outlawed in Britain itself throughout the period of American slavery.
Your phrase "yet somehow it was our fault" seems a tad immature as nobody would seriously suggest such a thing. However just as the German nation as a whole acknowledge that The Holocaust was a terrible blot on German history, Americans acknowledge that slavery was a major blot on America's history, and as I said the first Americans were largely relocated Britons.
What schools should concentrate on is they wish to teach about slavery is how black people fared after the official end of slavery. In America, right up until the 1960's it was not good to be black. It was a different story in the Caribbean where black people pulled themselves up under a much more reasonable and humane administration than existed in America at the time and began working towards independence from their colonial masters.

jon91

Yea, it went through Hykeham at 17:05 according the the metadata on my picture of it. Made a nice difference to the endless stream of 153s and 156s, Cromwell would have been nicer though...

Does anyone know exactly why it failed yet?

Rich_D3167

70013 was left at Cleethorpes overnight (& is still there today, in fact!), I believe failed with piston ring issues on the left hand side. This morning, I saw the loco at Cleethorpes, with the cylinder cover removed, part of the motion disconnected, & the piston brought out of the cylinder at the front to replace the piston ring, by the looks of things. When the loco will be moved next is another question, as Cromwell should be hauling a trip from Cleethorpes to Morpeth on Saturday 10th March!

Boothby97

Established Member
70013 was left at Cleethorpes overnight (& is still there today, in fact!), I believe failed with piston ring issues on the left hand side. This morning, I saw the loco at Cleethorpes, with the cylinder cover removed, part of the motion disconnected, & the piston brought out of the cylinder at the front to replace the piston ring, by the looks of things. When the loco will be moved next is another question, as Cromwell should be hauling a trip from Cleethorpes to Morpeth on Saturday 10th March!

Cleethorpes station say Thursday!

Rich_D3167

Cleethorpes station say Thursday!

I heard from the loco crew that it'll be probably Friday. There's no rush to move the loco, as it's on a tour on Saturday which starts from Cleethorpes anyway. All that needs to be done before the tour is turn the loco on the Ulceby triangle & coal up, which can be done on Friday afternoon. I suspect that when the stock from Carnforth arrives at Barnetby, the diesel loco will then run light to Cleethorpes to collect Cromwell, and take it to Barnetby via Ulceby (to turn on the triangle), then Cromwell can be coaled/watered up at Barnetby ready for the trip on Saturday.

PS: I should add that the loco has been repaired (the piston rings on the left hand side cylinder were replaced), and the loco is now fit for traffic.

Boothby97

Established Member
I heard from the loco crew that it'll be probably Friday. There's no rush to move the loco, as it's on a tour on Saturday which starts from Cleethorpes anyway. All that needs to be done before the tour is turn the loco on the Ulceby triangle & coal up, which can be done on Friday afternoon. I suspect that when the stock from Carnforth arrives at Barnetby, the diesel loco will then run light to Cleethorpes to collect Cromwell, and take it to Barnetby via Ulceby (to turn on the triangle), then Cromwell can be coaled/watered up at Barnetby ready for the trip on Saturday.

PS: I should add that the loco has been repaired (the piston rings on the left hand side cylinder were replaced), and the loco is now fit for traffic.

Thanks for the info, I have changed my avatar (he's in Platform 1)
Thanks, Sam

Rich_D3167

Confirmed that it will be remaining at Cleethorpes until Friday. Empty stock for Saturday's Cleethorpes to Morpeth railtour will arrive at Barnetby at around 14:40 on Friday behind a West Coast Railway Company diesel loco (probably a Class 47), the loco will then run light to Cleethorpes (departs Barnetby at around 15:20), picks up 70013, and runs back to Barnetby via Ulceby to turn 70013. 70013 will be coaled (possibly watered, too) at Barnetby in the evening.

Boothby97

Established Member
Left today just after 4pm for Barnetby behind 47760.
47580 will be with 760 and Oliver Cromwell on the Cleethorpes-Morpeth.
Because the Stratford 47 Group are suppling their loco, I may be tempted to have an early start and take some photos, I've not seen it before.
Thanks,Sam

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.