• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ollieb's anti-football rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
TBH I and alot of others would prefer it if we did away with football all together.

Decent sport fine but 2 weeks taken over by football is taking the mick!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I dont generally follow sports but football really is a pathetic game (Proffessional that is)

Now I am all for a local tournament in the park with the youngsters and a kickabout in the park but to show these talentless people on TV is really stupid.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I dont generally follow sports but football really is a pathetic game (Proffessional that is)

Now I am all for a local tournament in the park with the youngsters and a kickabout in the park but to show these talentless people on TV is really stupid.

So what constitutes a 'decent sport' then, park football?

You can call pro footballers many things, but you cannot say they are talentless. The only reason they earn £100,000+ a week is because they are talented!

SS4

Established Member

If TV schedules were decided on talent they'd have to shut down for 22 hours each day and there'd only be the need for 3 channels.

Established Member
So what constitutes a 'decent sport' then, park football?

You can call pro footballers many things, but you cannot say they are talentless. The only reason they earn £100,000+ a week is because they are talented!

They Can Kick a ball Wow.. I can do that, My sister can do that... I fail to see how they are talented?!?!!??!!!!!

Like you say they earn 100+K a week for kicking a ball.

David

Established Member
Hmm, you don't like football, but you'll still play it :?

Any other interests apart from sat at a computer and trolling forums?

PS. I would like to see you play against some of these "talentless" footballers some time. You wouldn't get near the ball ....

Established Member
No I dont like the fact that if a footballer trips up they cry and roll around on the floor.. and they are paid ridiculous amounts of money for kicking a ball!!

SS4

Established Member
They Can Kick a ball Wow.. I can do that, My sister can do that... I fail to see how they are talented?!?!!??!!!!!

Welcome to capitalism - the market will pay what is deemed appropriate and profitable. I think you'll find few people who agree they're worth said wages but that's not the point. Additionally, I think anyone in the public eye should be paid extra because they basically are watched by the gutter press 24/7 and can't do anything silly. If I have one too many at a bar then nobody cares but if, say, Milner did then there'd be uproar.

As someone who has a kickabout in the park you'll be well aware of the need to maintain your fitness.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No I dont like the fact that if a footballer trips up they cry and roll around on the floor

Nobody likes that.

David

Established Member

You will be surprised at how few players in this country are actually paid £100,000 a week or more! look at clubs outside the Premiership, and you'll see players struggling a lot. More often than not, they are on 1 year contracts, so June 30th every year they become unemployed. The average wage in League 2 last year was something like £300. It was only a few players at clubs at the top of the table who earned a lot more than that ....

Established Member
You will be surprised at how few players in this country are actually paid £100,000 a week or more! look at clubs outside the Premiership, and you'll see players struggling a lot. More often than not, they are on 1 year contracts, so June 30th every year they become unemployed. The average wage in League 2 last year was something like £300. It was only a few players at clubs at the top of the table who earned a lot more than that ....

Well its the people that earn studis amounts of money for doing something pointless that makes me lose all interest in the game.

GB

Established Member
As the players are not paid from tax payers money, I'm not sure what its got to do with you how much they get paid.

If they were as talentless as you claim then everybody would be doing it and they wouldn't get anywhere near the amount of pay they get now.

Scotrail84

Established Member
TBH I and alot of others would prefer it if we did away with football all together.

Haha this is a wind up isn't it? Bet you can't wait for the 2014 world cup where tv is taken over by 4 weeks of football. Also who are the "a lot of others" you mention in the above post??

Butts

Veteran Member
As the players are not paid from tax payers money, I'm not sure what its got to do with you how much they get paid.

If they were as talentless as you claim then everybody would be doing it and they wouldn't get anywhere near the amount of pay they get now.

Whilst I like football I do agree that they are paid to much especially at a time when a lot of the clubs are losing money.

Let's put it into perspective, I doubt there are many Premiership Footballers earning less than £10000 per week.....yes thats half a million pounds per year for the lower earners.

For the £100,000 plus brigade it's Five Million Pounds per year :lol:

With the new SKY deal it is to be hoped that some of the extra money ir rebated to fans by way of frozen/reduced admission prices and not used to line the pockets of the "fat cat" players. Somehow I doubt this will happen.

Scotrail84

Established Member
No I dont like the fact that if a footballer trips up they cry and roll around on the floor.. and they are paid ridiculous amounts of money for kicking a ball!!

I've never seen a pro footballer trip up cry and roll around. Tell what game were you watching?? End of the day if you don't want to watch football then watch one of the 60 odd channels on free view, sky 800+, virgin media 800+. Nobody forces you to watch it or indeed read threads about it.

David

Established Member

I presume you missed my post that I made earlier ..... Nearly 80% (that's 23.2 million people to you and me) viewership share for BBC1 between 7pm and 2230 to watch (in your words) talentless people (well, in the case of Danny Welbeck and Ashley Young, it could be true :lol:).

According to those figures, your in the small minority that doesn't like football.

Anyway, you didn't answer my question earlier. You don't like sports, so apart from computers and railways, what interests do you have?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Let's put it into perspective, I doubt there are many Premiership Footballers earning less than £10000 per week.....yes thats half a million pounds per year for the lower earners.

I would say there are plenty - several younger players at the bigger teams and the majority of bottom 8 teams I would say earn sub-£10,000 a week, probably closer to £6,000 or lower.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This was split from a sensible and reasonable debate about whether or not there is too much sport on BBC 1 .

Anyway, you didn't answer my question earlier. You don't like sports, so apart from computers and railways, what interests do you have?
Regrettably, he won't be able to answer any questions, due to comments made in a thread in the NR General Discussion area which have since been removed (thanks to all who reported the posts - as always, much appreciated). However you may find the answer in this post.

Ivo

Established Member
I've never seen a pro footballer trip up cry and roll around. Tell what game were you watching??

Diving is pretty close to this though. Remember this one?

End of the day if you don't want to watch football then watch one of the 60 odd channels on free view, sky 800+, virgin media 800+. Nobody forces you to watch it or indeed read threads about it.

Very true. But how many of the other X00 channels (or threads :p - said in jest of course) are worthwhile? And even on those that are, how much of the programming is worthwhile? To say "very little" would be an understatement.

However you may find the answer in this post.

Just a quick note to confirm this, having him met twice - the matter in this post was pretty obvious.

GB

Established Member
Whilst I like football I do agree that they are paid to much especially at a time when a lot of the clubs are losing money.

Probably because I am not really a football fan (ill take an interest during the Euros or World Cup) is the reason why I'm not bothered about their pay.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Explain what 'talent' do they have ?

If you are referring to those people who earn megabucks, then the fact that they are earning megabucks for perceivedly no talent is talent in itself, and a highly valuable one, if you know what I mean.

Established Member
Good to see that this person was banned for some of mindless the comments on the other topic in General Discussion.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Diving is pretty close to this though. Remember this one?
Very true. But how many of the other X00 channels (or threads :p - said in jest of course) are worthwhile? And even on those that are, how much of the programming is worthwhile? To say "very little" would be an understatement.

Just a quick note to confirm this, having him met twice - the matter in this post was pretty obvious.

Yes i remember watching it live - shocking stuff from a Brazil legend.

Status
Not open for further replies.