• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ollieb's reports from the rails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Beautiful. I love it up there. Are you doing the Mallaig line while you're there?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This trip was in the summer, and there is still more to come! Although my attempt at the Mallaig line didn't quite go to plan...

Ah right sorry. Got a bit confused there.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm still annoyed Ollie got two 92s at one attempt whereas I've only seen 90s in about 5 visits to Euston this year <(

:lol:

Better to see them hard at work on a freight than taking it relatively easy on a sleeper train anyway, so get up to the WCML!

ollieb: Looks like a beast of a day!

Established Member
Great stuff.
I love the West Highland line.
Boat trips are always fun as well.
If someone had told me twenty years ago that 73s would be working the Scottish sleepers I'd have had them sectioned.

Established Member
After 3 nights on Mull, it was time to return to the mainland. After a really nice few days, the weather had turned a bit as we did the bus journey across the Island to Craignure ferry terminal. The MV Isle of Mull was just arriving ready to return us to civilization.

In Oban the weather had brightened up a bit to allow us to have another quick explore before heading to the station. Our overnight stop off tonight was Crianlarich Youth Hostel, which we had briefly stopped off at a few days prior. I had also booked us on a tour of Cruachan Power Station (free of charge to anyone with a valid rail ticket.)

156447 was our first unit for the day. For the 18 miles to Falls of Cruachan with the 1211 Oban - Glasgow service. On arrival after a few photos of the unit leaving we headed to the Power Station visitor centre. (I recommend a stop off and a tour if you are able to, very interesting and different!) After the tour into the 'Hollow Mountain' we had a little while to wait for the next train to Crianlarich, so lunch time over looking Loch Awe. After a wander up the road and hill to the station, 156456 arrives to take us to our destination for the night with the 1514 to Glasgow.

On arrival at Crianlarich station, it was decided that we would go straight the hostel which was less than 2 minutes walk from the station to check in. A quick look on Real time trains showed a couple of interesting workings passing through, so it was decided to go for a walk before heading to the station to Photograph 66746 and 66743 on 1H85 1331 Edinburgh to Spean Bridge 'Royal Scotsman' charter. After dinner and another walk we headed back to the station to photograph the 2 73s we had the other day on the sleeper. Then a nice quiet night ready for a longish day ahead tomorrow...

Winners: 156447

Miles covered: 41

Any questions about any of the days or places visited or anything at all please feel free to ask! :)

Attachments

• DSC_0551 (2).jpg
    DSC_0551 (2).jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC_0651.jpg
    DSC_0651.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC_0656.jpg
    DSC_0656.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 1H85 1331 EDINBURGH - SPEAN BRIDGE (1).jpg
    1H85 1331 EDINBURGH - SPEAN BRIDGE (1).jpg
    148 KB · Views: 10
  • 1H85 1331 EDINBURGH - SPEAN BRIDGE (3).jpg
    1H85 1331 EDINBURGH - SPEAN BRIDGE (3).jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 1B01 (1).jpg
    1B01 (1).jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0798.jpg
    DSC_0798.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 14

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Love the picture of the mountain with misty halo. Enjoying reading this, keep em coming.

Established Member
Love the picture of the mountain with misty halo. Enjoying reading this, keep em coming.

Thanks Cowley! More to come as we are on day 4 of 8 so far.

Re the mountain, I went on a brief walk around the village between dinner and meeting emilyd to go and photograph the Sleeper. As I was taking general photos of the scenery I noticed that cloud formation around the top of the mountain and it just gave the sense of an Evil super villain's lair being located there. :lol::lol:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks Cowley! More to come as we are on day 4 of 8 so far.

Re the mountain, I went on a brief walk around the village between dinner and meeting emilyd to go and photograph the Sleeper. As I was taking general photos of the scenery I noticed that cloud formation around the top of the mountain and it just gave the sense of an Evil super villain's lair being located there. :lol::lol:

Ah yes. Or maybe in that hollow mountain , with the power station being his cover story while he plots to take over the world ahahahahahahaa.
I think I need some sleep.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yet another interesting instalment, and the power station tour sounds really quite interesting, making a note to do that when I go up that way eventually

Established Member
Sorry for lack of posting, been a busy couple of weeks. Anyways here we go...

After a lovely overnight stay at Crianlarich Youth hostel, it was another semi-early start for 73966 & 73968 up to Fort William. The scenery as expected was stunning and we arrived at Fort Bill in time to see 45407 ready to depart with the Jacobite. I had considered forking out to travel up to Mallaig with it, but Emily being not so keen it was decided that was not an option. Well isn't hind sight a wonderful thing...

On heading to the concourse and looking at the departure boards I notice our onward train to Mallaig is cancelled due to a lack of train crew and replacement transport would be very limited, well this could cause an issue with our ferry connection in Mallaig, so we did what any normal basher would do in this situation... Get a full breakfast! Whilst eating and trying to come up with a plan B if we couldn't get on the RRB to Mallaig we worked out that we could use CityLink on a very tedious route via Inverness.

As departure time approaches, we head back to the station to await our fate. Thankfully an extra coach had been found and everyone was able to be taken on to Mallaig. An added bonus was our driver was used to doing coach tours along this route so we got our own guided tour as we followed the railway route to Mallaig. Not quite the journey I was expecting, and it means that Fort William up is still required. <(<(

Arrival at Mallaig was just about on time and instead of hanging around to phot the kettle again I headed to the Ferry Terminal. There was an RNLI fun day on so took a look at that and watched the Boat race (the end of which was ruined by our ferry departure) as we headed for Broadford on Skye...

Miles covered: 63

Attachments

• 1Y11 (7).jpg
    1Y11 (7).jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC_0873.jpg
    DSC_0873.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_0924.jpg
    DSC_0924.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_0993.jpg
    DSC_0993.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 6

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well Ollieb I know that this is perhaps not the place for lovers of steam but I've done Fort Bill to Mallaig return on the steam three times over the years and it's worth every penny (done it on 37s and 156s too mind), the noise in the front vestibule of a mk1 with a Black 5 attacking Bleasdale bank with the chimney only 6 feet away from you was indescribable. Even my 14 year old daughter was impressed! We couldn't even hear each other if we shouted, I've done it behind 37412, then steam nos 75014, 62005 and 44871.
Absolutely love it up there, I could happily live there, somewhere like Arisaig would be nice...

It's a long way from here that's for sure. Nice that the coach driver gave you a bit of a commentary too.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A shame you couldn't cover the line to Mallaig, as it is well worth doing. Nice of the driver to do some commentary though, although I'd imagine you were more than glad they found that other coach to get you there.

I nearly didn't do Fort William to Mallaig when we did a forum meet up there in I believe 2005. I am glad I did though, as I've never been back to Fort William and it would be a huge irritating gap!

Established Member
A shame you couldn't cover the line to Mallaig, as it is well worth doing. Nice of the driver to do some commentary though, although I'd imagine you were more than glad they found that other coach to get you there.

I nearly didn't do Fort William to Mallaig when we did a forum meet up there in I believe 2005. I am glad I did though, as I've never been back to Fort William and it would be a huge irritating gap!

In a I am glad I didn't cover the Mallaig line as it gives me more reason to go back! (And thankfully it will be easier and cheaper this time I hope!)

Status
Not open for further replies.