• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Olympic 50 pence pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
Has anyone else been collecting these things? So far I have only three :( (table tennis, wheelchair rugby and volleyball); apparently there are 29 of them, as listed here: (aquatics, archery, athletics, badminton, basketball, boccia, boxing, canoeing, cycling, equestrian, fencing, football, goalball, gymnastics, handball, hockey, judo, modern pentathlon, rowing, sailing, shooting, table tennis, taekwondo, tennis, triathlon, volleyball, weightlifting, wheelchair rugby and wrestling)

£14.50's worth of money for anyone who gets one of each! Does anyone know if there are any commerative things for getting them all (I doubt it though)?

I know, I'm sad. I saw a thread I missed about a month ago about Autistic Quotients earlier; my last result was 42. Might explain why I'm collecting them! ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
None have fallen into my hands although I do have the Victoria Cross 50p and the Darwin £2 though

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I've got a five pound coin :D

I've seen these 50 pence pieces about, but haven't collected them.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I do but I don't go out of my way to collect them. No Olympic £50 coin for me yet unfortunately.

I do have in my possession though £1 coins issued for each year since 1983. :D

I am such a geek.

SS4

Established Member
I do but I don't go out of my way to collect them. No Olympic £50 coin for me yet unfortunately.

I do have in my possession though £1 coins issued for each year since 1983. :D

I am such a geek.

£50 coin?! Oh if we could all be as rich as you :lol:

Schnellzug

Established Member
Are there really? I guessed it was something to do with the Olyumpics, but I'm afraid that I try to ignore anything about the Olympics. I shall have to try to look at one, next time I find myself in possession of one.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
£50 coin?! Oh if we could all be as rich as you :lol:

Of course I meant 50p coins. Butter fingers, sorry.

If there were £50 coins, I would imagine that they would have to be made out of gold bricks. :lol:

SS4

Established Member
Of course I meant 50p coins. Butter fingers, sorry.

If there were £50 coins, I would imagine that they would have to be made out of gold bricks. :lol:

You'd be minted if you got one

I'll get my coat

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I'll get my coat

Here is an emoticon for you
getmecoat.gif

The 50p coins are for sale for £1.50 at the Olympic Shop at St Pancras.
Last time I was there I went next door to Costa and bought a coffee and received one of them in my change! Can't remember which one it was but it was a bit of a shock!

Matt-the-mutt

I have to say working in the little sweet shop I have managed to get 18 differnt ones and 22 in total... not THAT really makes me seem sad XD

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Does anyone know if there are any commerative things for getting them all (I doubt it though)?

I didn't even know they'd done a special 50p coin issue for the Olympics!

Having said that, try asking at your local stamp shop - they usually carry other collectibles as well, especially coins, so if there is a commemorative pack around then there's a good chance that's where you'll be able to get hold of one.

CarterUSM

Established Member
I've got 27 of them, i'm missing the boxing and I think the triathlon. The funny thing is, I didn't mean to collect them, when they were put into circulation they were plentiful, but I haven't seen one in a week or so, I was only doing it for fun, but it's a mission now!!!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Sometimes there are advertisements for special event currency items and with the Olympic Games being held in London, I can well imagine that a set of 50p pieces of the actual number that cover all the sports would definitely be part of the promotional and souvenir material issued.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I didn't even know they'd done a special 50p coin issue for the Olympics!

Having said that, try asking at your local stamp shop - they usually carry other collectibles as well, especially coins, so if there is a commemorative pack around then there's a good chance that's where you'll be able to get hold of one.

If you're in London, the Bank of England museum shop usually sells any sets of commemorative coins that have recently been released :)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I collect at least one version of every 'different' coin I come across in general circulation. I don't go out of my way to buy coins, except for £5 coins which I buy from the post office or my bank for £5.

Oswyntail

Established Member
I don't know about the other sports, but in the archery world the coin caused much hilarity and discussion about poor technique.
Not seen a single one of them

Status
Not open for further replies.