• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Olympic Bus Transfers/ Loans

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Thanks for sharing some of the figures, mbonwick.

It does put things a little more into perspective - I just hope there aren't too many incidents such as those described above over the next month.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BestWestern

Established Member
I think the regular passengers have every right to be fully informed about where their usual, expected vehicles have gone - whether buses have gone directly to London or just into the next town to cascade something else is completely irrelevant to those who end up with the rubbish for a month - there is a lot about the Olympics which is not at all agreeable, public transport compromises being just one aspect, and people should be fully informed. It is not, and nor should it be, a 'secret'.

I would have to say I feel that an older low floor bus is a reasonable compromise for a newer one on a temporary basis, but vehicles which cannot convey wheelchairs being used on routes aimed at attracting such patronage is clearly unacceptable. Ultimately, these companies have chosen to bid for these contracts to make money, and have done so at the expense of sacrificing their usual standards of service in certain areas. The customers who will suffer because of this have every right to be dissatisfied.

Reports suggest that a stagecoach strathtay environ400 (I think) was spotted in manchester a few days ago, still carrying the 73 tayway logo on the side. May i ask how many environ400s from stagecoach strathtay are going to London and will this affect the buses up in Angus?

mbonwick

Established Member
Strathtay is now part of East Scotland, so unfortunately I can't provide exact figures.

East Scotland are sending;
10002-7, 19641-68, 27548-52, 27603-13. All to London.
They will have 4 MAN E300s in from Bluebird, 2 E300s and a dart from Highlands.

BestWestern

Established Member
Saw a very unusual shed running in Portsmouth a couple of days back, a Stagecoach Marshall Capital bodied Dart. The only place I've ever seen those is on a couple of obscure routes in Cumbria, but I would imagine that's a little far to be sending things for temporary cover, so any ideas where this one might have come from?!

starrymarkb

Established Member
Saw a very unusual shed running in Portsmouth a couple of days back, a Stagecoach Marshall Capital bodied Dart. The only place I've ever seen those is on a couple of obscure routes in Cumbria, but I would imagine that's a little far to be sending things for temporary cover, so any ideas where this one might have come from?!

T Plate? Probably Torquay

mbonwick

Established Member
There's actually quite a few Marshall darts around Stagecoach. Well, I say a few, I mean 15ish.
South West have 3 examples, though they've been in reserve for nearly a year now. (Obviously out for the Olympics)

Adam - no, the appearance of B10BLEs with you is not Olympic related, they've been transferred in as a quick replacement for B10Ms. However, I and most other people I know are surprised at this as they aren't DDA compliant, and if West waited until after the Olympics they could have their pick of (newer) MAN 18.220/ALX300s.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Stagecoach Chesterfield also have at least a couple of Marshall bodied Dart SLFs.

Interestingly, 16631 has now turned up in Lincoln from Hants & Surrey - looks quite a nice vehicle, and fairly freshly painted.

mbonwick

Established Member
I'll have to get back to you on why that's appeared, AFAIK it wasn't due for transfer or anything.

Interestingly, that started life with Stagecoach North West, at Preston depot IIRC.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'll have to get back to you on why that's appeared, AFAIK it wasn't due for transfer or anything.

Interestingly, that started life with Stagecoach North West, at Preston depot IIRC.

I've also now seen and ridden on 16632 and had reports that 16302 is here as well.

mbonwick

Established Member
As the 52 is booked for DAF SB220s and MAN ALX300s, it is those that the E400Hs will be replacing.

I would sincerely hope that the 14 E200s on order for Yorkshire allow the withdrawal of the Sprytes, Pointer Is and Crapitals.

gnolife

Established Member
Finglands, Stagecoach Manchester and Notts+Derby seem to have loaned buses to First for use on the shuttle from Manchester City Centre to Old Trafford for the football there, with a similar sheet on the front window as what is used for Rail Replacement buses.

MCW

Arriva Midlands 4015 - 4023 have gone to help somewhere else, I don't know where but they are definitely on olympics duties from the Gen me and my Leicester lot know.

Bus Regs: are LJ51 DFL, DFN, DFO, DFP, DFU, DPV, DPX, DPY, DPZ

these buses are in the newer style or Arriva green livery. they are Volvo Wright Gemini's

mbonwick

Established Member
Finglands, Stagecoach Manchester and Notts+Derby seem to have loaned buses to First for use on the shuttle from Manchester City Centre to Old Trafford for the football there, with a similar sheet on the front window as what is used for Rail Replacement buses.

Believe Stagecoach may have been doing a few of their own, they were certainly loaning to First though.

sonic2009

Established Member
I've noticed that T550 AUA has now appeared in the Forest/ Gloucester area. http://www.flickr.com/photos/bens_transport_photos/5537155626/ (Not my image).

Is this Olympic related? If so, can we keep it? It's newer than a fair share of our stuff, and may finally signal the end of our step-entrance dart based at Ross-on-Wye depot. (M84 WBW, something like that)

It's been around in Gloucester for a while as I don't think Stagecoach West have given anything to the Olympics , I saw it around about 3 weeks ago, I believe Stagecoach in Swindon have a few as well, saw one yesterday at Cheltenham Royal Well Bus Station on a 51 route Cheltenham - Swindon.

CC 72100

Established Member
Adam - no, the appearance of B10BLEs with you is not Olympic related, they've been transferred in as a quick replacement for B10Ms. However, I and most other people I know are surprised at this as they aren't DDA compliant, and if West waited until after the Olympics they could have their pick of (newer) MAN 18.220/ALX300s.

Ah right, thanks for that. It's not ideal, but it is a lot better than the B10Ms, which are very tired indeed. They probably could have waited, and as you say, given the facts it's a little surprising that they didn't. Can we get something to replace the last of the Volvo Olympians too now please - they've crept back after our 'new buses' (04 reg ALX 400s) cascaded from Gloucester City when the 94 went Gold proved less than reliable.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's been around in Gloucester for a while as I don't think Stagecoach West have given anything to the Olympics , I saw it around about 3 weeks ago, I believe Stagecoach in Swindon have a few as well, saw one yesterday at Cheltenham Royal Well Bus Station on a 51 route Cheltenham - Swindon.

I think I saw it for the first time a couple of weeks back on the 24. Never normally get one of those round here was my first thought - normally B10Ms, Darts, ALX400s and that odd Enviro 400 based at Ross.

Last edited:

BestWestern

Established Member
Ah right, thanks for that. It's not ideal, but it is a lot better than the B10Ms, which are very tired indeed. They probably could have waited, and as you say, given the facts it's a little surprising that they didn't. Can we get something to replace the last of the Volvo Olympians too now please - they've crept back after our 'new buses' (04 reg ALX 400s) cascaded from Gloucester City when the 94 went Gold proved less than reliable.

Noooo, you've got it all wrong!! B10Ms and Olympians GOOD, ALX-plastics BAD!! :D

westcoaster

Established Member
It has probably been asked already, but the blue tape seen on most buses are these security seals to stop anything being put in to fluid tanks.

class313

I would gladly take an Olympian over an ALX400, I remember when route 73 had B10Ms on it, those were the days. The Olympians did vanish from Lydney for a while, but as you said, are creeping back now. :D

Goldfish62

Established Member
Security tags to show if any panel has been lifted.

Another thing is that all fleetnames and any other signage which could be regarded as advertising have had to be removed on buses contracted to LOCOG. The route branding which many Stagecoach vehicles still have must be an extremely borderline case for non-removal!

BestWestern

Established Member
Another thing is that all fleetnames and any other signage which could be regarded as advertising have had to be removed on buses contracted to LOCOG. The route branding which many Stagecoach vehicles still have must be an extremely borderline case for non-removal!

I would imagine S'coach probably made it clear that wasn't an option. Covering a fleetname is one thing, but a whole vehicle each time would be cost prohibitive. There aren't many places you can get hold of that many vehicles in one go, so the organisers probably had to bite their lip and accept it. Hurt quite a bit I should think, considering their Gestapo-esque attitude towards everything else :roll:

cainebj

Established Member
I believe it is a loophole, where the route branding is classed as a livery rather than advertising. Any saver ticket information had to be removed, as that is advertising, along with company names and logos. The thing I'm still a bit unsure on, is the Morecambe based ADL E300's, which retain the Lancaster University official logo on the windows. I'd have classed that as advertising for an organisation not part of the games, it doesn't really fit in as livery.

bicbasher

Established Member

Indeed, I saw a bus go over Tower Bridge where the only signage was the London 2012 "Games Vehicle" at the rear.

I've also seen non LOCOG contracts for the Olympics, Abellio London are providing services for the Dutch at Alexandra Palace.

Status
Not open for further replies.