• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Olympic football at Old Trafford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
There is a national rail platform adjacent to the South Stand at Old Trafford - in fact it is almost in the South stand. Shuttles consisting of several carriages run from Piccadilly & Oxford Road stations for every MUFC home game.

It is surprising, therefore, that this service is apparently not running for matches the 2012 Olympics. Spectators will instead be crammed on to low capacity Metrolink trams and shuttle buses. The Metrolink stations are all much further from the ground than the national rail platform.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I having wondering if they are running myself, as i will be attending 2 games at OT for the olympics.

But I suspect not. Reason been, there are airport-style security checks set-up on the approach to all olympic venues, and it could well be that these checks take place on the road well before the station.

Will see tomorrow.

snail

Established Member
Timing is also a problem. Thursday's games start at 5pm, would there be room to fit shuttles between the regular rush hour services?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Well i have had to hire a car to get from MK to Old Trafford & back as there are no extra services on between Manchester & London after the match tomorrow.

There is park and ride from various locations close to motorway junctions.

As has been said i think the security will be the main obstacle. My tickets suggest 40 minutes to get into the ground.

Established Member
It is surprising, therefore, that this service is apparently not running for matches the 2012 Olympics. Spectators will instead be crammed on to low capacity Metrolink trams and shuttle buses. The Metrolink stations are all much further from the ground than the national rail platform.

Of note, holders of match tickets have tram or bus travel to and from Old Trafford included in the price.

Buses are running every 3 minutes from Manchester Piccadilly to the stadium.

Trams are mostly strengthened to double trams, including new ones.

Match tickets are valid on the entire Altrincham line.

tamesidedepot

There is a national rail platform adjacent to the South Stand at Old Trafford - in fact it is almost in the South stand. Shuttles consisting of several carriages run from Piccadilly & Oxford Road stations for every MUFC home game.

I enquired with Northern about this a few weeks ago - my reply being:

"Thank you for your e-mail, which I received recently.

I regret to advise that we have not been able obtain an agreement to operate a special service during the period of the games.

This is due to security issues

Sorry we cannot help you on this occasion."

The games website implies something a little different about being able to use trams for free on the entire Altrincham line:

"Olympic event ticket-holders can travel free on Metrolink trams between stops in Manchester city centre and stops near to Old Trafford Stadium on event days"

There is also a shuttle bus to/from Victoria Station

I enquired with Northern about this a few weeks ago - my reply being:

"Thank you for your e-mail, which I received recently.

I regret to advise that we have not been able obtain an agreement to operate a special service during the period of the games.

This is due to security issues

Sorry we cannot help you on this occasion."

The games website implies something a little different about being able to use trams for free on the entire Altrincham line:

"Olympic event ticket-holders can travel free on Metrolink trams between stops in Manchester city centre and stops near to Old Trafford Stadium on event days"

There is also a shuttle bus to/from Victoria Station

I visited Manchester today (non rail related). There were announcements at Manchester Piccadilly (on both outward and return journeys), stating that shuttle buses were running from Tesco on London Road. With regard to security issues, Piccadilly Station was "teeming" with police at around 4pm. Would it not have been better, to have run an amended timetable, for the duration of the Olympics to allow TOCS, to run services to/from Old Trafford? Could security checks have been instigated, at Piccadilly, prior to fans boarding shuttle trains? It's just a thought?

Thomas6187

The checks can not take at OT as the exits lead just off and into a tunnel, about 10 feet away from the stadium

Could security checks have been instigated, at Piccadilly, prior to fans boarding shuttle trains? It's just a thought?

As the Shuttle run from 13/14 at Piccadilly, every single passengers would have to go through, even those not going to OT making it a logistical nightmare

Last edited:

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
The security checks for the double header UAE vs Uruguay and Great Britain v Senegal U23 games last week took place immediately outside the turnstiles. So the NR platform could have been used as it's on the other side of the South stand concourse.

However when I arrived (early as requested), security staff were conspicuous by their absence so only a tiny handful of turnstiles were actually open. It didn't matter too much last week as many people weren't too bothered about coming on time for the earlier UAE game. But I hope they sort it out for the semi-final next week (hopefully Great Britain vs Brazil) otherwise there could be chaos.

MUFC also ran out of pies so all you could get to eat between the two games was packets of Pringles!

Status
Not open for further replies.