• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Olympic Journey Travels

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherJ

Share your travel experiences in advance to the Olympics...

Me last night;

22:25 Beckton - Canning Town. DLR. Whole Train to myself with the PSA up the front. Wonderful. Lets hope the rest of the journey is like this... Not.

22:40 Canning Town - Stratford. Jubilee Line. Rammed solid. <( No choice but to squeeze in 'cos next was 8 minutes away and the last LO from Stratford was less than 20mins... Can't risk it...

23:00 Stratford - Highbury & Islington. London Overground. Again, rammed solid and left 6 minutes late for no reason. Guard hanging around on the platform chatting up the female platform staff and not in his train making any announcements as to why we are delayed. I was watching you... :roll:

23:30 Highbury & Islington - Walthamstow Central. Victoria Line. First train 7 minutes away and it was only going as far as Seven Sisters, next Walthamstow was 2 minutes after and rammed far worse than the previous LUL or LOROL, should of waited for the next but knew it would of been just as bad so might as well as put up with it.

Approaching midnight on a Sunday evening and the network is choked just as bad as if it was a peak hour. God help us for the next few weeks. God help. :roll:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
No perceivable difference in passenger loadings on the Met/Circle lines during my usual commute this morning and evening. Although there does seem to be a far larger number of passengers heading West from Liverpool Street in the morning over the last few days.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
FCC from St Albans as busy as ever- 4 vice 8 on the 0816 was a real winner (later start today!) - not comfortable shall we say.

Several tube trips - no worse than ever- though in the heat , the air con S stock is a real winner compared to the "Cuban" like C stock. Train home tonight , roasting , but OK.

Pooter

ushawk

Established Member
Im going up to London on Wednesday and Birmingham on Thursday - ill post here how those trips go - going up to the Midlands from the South via the WLL so that should be fun !!

sprinterguy

Established Member
Several tube trips - no worse than ever- though in the heat , the air con S stock is a real winner compared to the "Cuban" like C stock.
Amen to that! My views exactly: I always hope that I'll catch an S-stock train on my commute, and usually I strike lucky :)

NSE

Established Member
Share your travel experiences in advance to the Olympics...

Me last night;

22:25 Beckton - Canning Town. DLR. Whole Train to myself with the PSA up the front. Wonderful. Lets hope the rest of the journey is like this... Not.

22:40 Canning Town - Stratford. Jubilee Line. Rammed solid. <( No choice but to squeeze in 'cos next was 8 minutes away and the last LO from Stratford was less than 20mins... Can't risk it...

23:00 Stratford - Highbury & Islington. London Overground. Again, rammed solid and left 6 minutes late for no reason. Guard hanging around on the platform chatting up the female platform staff and not in his train making any announcements as to why we are delayed. I was watching you... :roll:

23:30 Highbury & Islington - Walthamstow Central. Victoria Line. First train 7 minutes away and it was only going as far as Seven Sisters, next Walthamstow was 2 minutes after and rammed far worse than the previous LUL or LOROL, should of waited for the next but knew it would of been just as bad so might as well as put up with it.

Approaching midnight on a Sunday evening and the network is choked just as bad as if it was a peak hour. God help us for the next few weeks. God help. :roll:

With all due respect, what did you expect? Its the Olympics, attracts large amounts of tourists with their luggage and also day trippers who again will be carrying bags etc. We knew this was going to happen from the moment the announcement was made London was hosting it. I say replan your journey, or get in the Olympic spirit :) :)

Clip

Established Member
With all due respect, what did you expect? Its the Olympics, attracts large amounts of tourists with their luggage and also day trippers who again will be carrying bags etc. We knew this was going to happen from the moment the announcement was made London was hosting it. I say replan your journey, or get in the Olympic spirit :) :)

Indeed. Get the bus from Stratford instead :)

NSE

Established Member
Or even something like Beckton-Poplar-Bank-Kings Cross-Walthamstow.

Ok it does go through Zone 1 if you wanted to avoid that, but for two weeks, it does avoid the rough Olympic flow.

user15681

Established Member
Full dress rehearsal of Olympic Opening Ceremony tonight at Olympic Stadium, Stratford. On a side note, absolutely a-m-a-z-i-n-g!
On the down side, Central line suspended and delays on Overground. 60,000 people, all trying to use those transport networks = horrendously busy. Can't be helped though, just got to sit back and enjoy life.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I'm off to the Olympic park on Thursday for a pre-opening-ceremony party. Should be interesting to see what it's like, and how everything is set up security wise.

It's funny how everyone has been moaning, but as soon as some foreigners say we're just moaning like typical Brits everyone is now saying 'no, no, I'm not moaning' and bigging the event up! That in itself is typical British behaviour!

Let's get behind the Games.. We've paid enough for them and now they're certain to be loved by everyone around the world. We should be proud and just accept transport will be a nightmare, just as it would be in any location with the Olympics!

cambsy

On Moderation
I'm doing an ALR 7 day 1st class next week and am doing a full trip report, will report on loadings etc, managed to book all the sleeper berths i wanted to, despite booking on Friday, hope trains won't be too packed, should be fun

Clip

Established Member

Ok it does go through Zone 1 if you wanted to avoid that, but for two weeks, it does avoid the rough Olympic flow.

Poplar to Bank will be terribly busy also. Theres probably no way to get round unless you get the bus from Stratford and whilst it goes round the house at least you wont have that many people on the 258(iirc)

xolotl

Stratford was an absolute nightmare at about 5.30pm today. Looks to be the first time they've tried implementing the one way system through the central tunnel and it was chaos. One way system seemed a bit unworkable as you still need to walk against the main flow to interchange. This combined with loads of tourists/visitors ambling around meant it took about 20 minutes just to exit the station.

Clip

Established Member
They also had to shut down the Overground as I found out when I came out this evening.

Always knew the subways would be bad at Stratford. Said it on here weeks if not months ago. They really sholdve done something about it but I dont know if widening them wouldve been possible.

ChristopherJ

Indeed. Get the bus from Stratford instead :)

I always go the longest possible route to get the most out of my money and for a nice long train ride - I wasn't in any rush to get home apart from making sure I connected with the last Overground. Beckton - Walthamstow Central via Stratford and H&I is £1.40 single on Oyster card and for the amount of distance, energy and duration for all the operational logistics involved that's an hell of a good deal! I tapped in at 22:21 and tapped out at 23:48 - a journey of just over 1h 30mins for the price cheaper than a bottle of drink... Milk it for all it's worth as far as I'm concerned!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
My god Olympics in making public transport network busier shocker!

has the literature and advertisements of the last 6 months just passed you by? I don't know but i am sure i have seen about 40000 adverts a telling me exactly this!

We are advised, by none other than the Lord Boris himself, that the transport network will be much busier during the games, that we need to plan ahead, leave more time for our journeys and www.getaheadofthegames.com

perhaps you should have done just that! ;)

ChristopherJ

My god Olympics in making public transport network busier shocker!

has the literature and advertisements of the last 6 months just passed you by? I don't know but i am sure i have seen about 40000 adverts a telling me exactly this!

We are advised, by none other than the Lord Boris himself, that the transport network will be much busier during the games, that we need to plan ahead, leave more time for our journeys and www.getaheadofthegames.com

perhaps you should have done just that! ;)

Yeah, right...

I'm sure all those people I was squished in to on Sunday evening were commuters traveling to be in work for Monday morning... Getting ahead and all that...

No need for sarcasm, 'cos you should know by now I'll just hit back with something more witty. ;)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Yeah, right...

I'm sure all those people I was squished in to on Sunday evening were commuters traveling to be in work for Monday morning... Getting ahead and all that...

No need for sarcasm, 'cos you should know by now I'll just hit back with something more witty. ;)

Lost me sorry.

Anyway. You could have opened your journey out a bit so that you could afford to wait for the next tube that may have been less busy.

That is what I am doing with my games travel. Changing my routes and timings slightly, such as getting off at Harrow & Wealdstone rather than Euston and getting the tube from there.

Just some small sensible steps to try and make it slightly less unpleasant.

Clip

Established Member
I always go the longest possible route to get the most out of my money and for a nice long train ride - I wasn't in any rush to get home apart from making sure I connected with the last Overground. Beckton - Walthamstow Central via Stratford and H&I is £1.40 single on Oyster card and for the amount of distance, energy and duration for all the operational logistics involved that's an hell of a good deal! I tapped in at 22:21 and tapped out at 23:48 - a journey of just over 1h 30mins for the price cheaper than a bottle of drink... Milk it for all it's worth as far as I'm concerned!

To be honest thats about normal for that journey anyway time wise. But one hell of a bargain price.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Altered passenger flow arrangments in place at St Pancras and KX underground.

No impact on FCC loadings noticeable

Status
Not open for further replies.