• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Olympic Travelcards

Status
Not open for further replies.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Ivo, could you upload a scan of the games travelcard for our future reference please?

Cheers,

TP

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I would like to copy part of my post (#15), which everyone seems to have ignored:

Yes, it's just a normal travelcard except it's only valid with a games ticket for the same day. In addition it's valid to the handful of extra destinations by train from Greater London (Slough etc) outside the normal area *if and only if* you are going to an event there.

Ivo

Established Member
Ivo, could you upload a scan of the games travelcard for our future reference please?

Uh, I would but I have no means of doing so at present.

Here is a picture of one from the official London 2012 site.

That site suggests they will be valid on the Javelin - but is this restricted to Olympic Stadium tickets only (i.e. not elsewhere as with mine)?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Uh, I would but I have no means of doing so at present.

Here is a picture of one from the official London 2012 site.

Cheers for the link Ivo, just the job, are they just pieces of card or are they plastic?

TP

Deerfold

Veteran Member
That site suggests they will be valid on the Javelin - but is this restricted to Olympic Stadium tickets only (i.e. not elsewhere as with mine)?

Can't see anything with any restriction. It's not unreasonable you'd want a look at the Olympic park as well as wherever your ticket is for.

They are providing a rather more intensive service than normal on that route...

tom3107

Just managed to buy 4 tickets to BZ6 from South West Trains telesales who confirmed they were available to use in conjunction with a games travelcard. This was after phoning FCC, FGW, East Coast and Cross Country where none of them even knew what a ticket to BZ6 was!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can't see anything with any restriction. It's not unreasonable you'd want a look at the Olympic park as well as wherever your ticket is for.
Although entry to the Olympic Park during the games is only available for those who have purchased a £10 ticket, which have already sold out. (Unless of course you have a ticket to an event in the park).

MrJamesBrown

Although entry to the Olympic Park during the games is only available for those who have purchased a £10 ticket, which have already sold out. (Unless of course you have a ticket to an event in the park).

I am still unconvinced that my £10 ticket will include a travelcard. Time will tell :)

barrykas

Established Member
The staff briefing book that covers all things Olympic and Paralympic says that you only get a Games Travelcard if you've got a ticket for a "Games event" at a London venue. Games events being defined as "all ticketed sporting events and the Opening and Closing Ceremonies".

The only explicitly stated restrictions are that they're not valid on Heathrow Express or the Emirates Air-line (or the ArabFly Dangleway as Diamond Geezer puts it), taxis and private hire vehicles, and River Services (though the usual 1/3 discount for Travelcard holders applies on participating routes).

Boundary Zone extensions ARE explicitly permitted for use in conjunction with Games Travelcards.

Cheers,

Barry

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Also it should be noted that there there is a Games Travelcard and five categories of Games Oystercard - The Oystercard only being available to the 'Olympic Family'.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Emirates Air-line (or the ArabFly Dangleway as Diamond Geezer puts it
I thought this was built explicitly as part of the Games Transport network, to link the O2 and Excel (both venues) more easily? That it's not included in the travelcard wouldn't be breathtaking if it wasn't so inevitable.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This page includes a link to a map stating that the ticket is valid on Southeastern High Speed services. I wonder if a ticket to Boundary Zone 6 (routed Any Permitted) combined with the Games Travelcard is therefore valid on High Speed?

mattdickinson

This page includes a link to a map stating that the ticket is valid on Southeastern High Speed services. I wonder if a ticket to Boundary Zone 6 (routed Any Permitted) combined with the Games Travelcard is therefore valid on High Speed?

They are definitely not valid beyond Stratford International on HS1 so the appropriate ticket would been one to Stratford International rather than BZ6.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I thought this was built explicitly as part of the Games Transport network, to link the O2 and Excel (both venues) more easily? That it's not included in the travelcard wouldn't be breathtaking if it wasn't so inevitable.

No, Boris wanted it built before the games started but there was no commitment to building it. It wasn't proposed until well after the Olympic bid had been won.

It was still only a proposal in 2010:

http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/...kinson-eyres-thames-cable-car/8602638.article

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They are definitely not valid beyond Stratford International on HS1 so the appropriate ticket would been one to Stratford International rather than BZ6.

Where is this stated? I cannot see this mentioned anywhere on the Games Travelcard Map (it simply states ''Games Travelcard is not valid for travel to and from Ebbsfleet International'').

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Where is this stated? I cannot see this mentioned anywhere on the Games Travelcard Map (it simply states ''Games Travelcard is not valid for travel to and from Ebbsfleet International'').

Good luck boarding anywhere between Stratford and Ebbsfleet!

None of HS1 counts as being within the Zones, so BZ tickets are not accepted. Though I was interested to see that Stratford International is clearly shown as being in z3 on Southeastern's onboard route maps...

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
None of HS1 counts as being within the Zones, so BZ tickets are not accepted. Though I was interested to see that Stratford International is clearly shown as being in z3 on Southeastern's onboard route maps...
This is true, however the Games Travelcard map does not state that Stratford Int'l is outside the zones, as the Games Travelcard has validity on Highspeed services.

It is clear about validity on Heathrow Connect services west of Hayes/Harlington as they are explicitly excluded with a box stating ''Games Travelcard is only valid on Heathrow Connect between Paddington and Hayes & Harlington.'' The line also ends at Hayes/Harlington.

If Games Travelcards were not valid west of Stratford then why have they not used a consistent approach and said ''Games Travelcard is only valid on Southeastern Highspeed between St Pancras Int'l and Stratford Int'l,'' followed by the line stopping at Stratford Int'l? The line is shown as carrying on past Stratford Int'l to the boundary of zone 6, with no explanatory note. How is the customer supposed to know that apparently, if indeed true, BZ6 tickets are not valid?

34D

Established Member
None of HS1 counts as being within the Zones, so BZ tickets are not accepted.

I wouldn't have worded it like that, more that the line is excluded from normal conventions.

When I pass rainham at 140mph I don't think "ah I'm in a sliver of Essex that has zone 6 on either side of it".

OwlMan

Established Member
A new page has been issued in the Manual for Games Travelcards

The Manual
Games Travelcards

Games Travelcards for travel in London Zones 1-9 & Watford Junction

All customers with tickets for Games events in London will receive a complimentary one-day Games Travelcard for unrestricted travel throughout London Zones 1-9 and to/from Watford Junction on the day of the event.
Games Travelcards will also be valid on the high-speed Javelin service between London St Pancras and Stratford International stations.
Games Travelcards will be sent to customers with their 2012 Games event tickets. If the customer does not have a Games Travelcard they will need to buy a ticket for their journey in London.
Customers with tickets for Games events at Eton Dorney, Lee Valley White Water Centre, Hadleigh Farm and Brands Hatch will be able to use their Games Travelcard to travel by National Rail services between London and the recommended stations for these venues. No additional fare will be payable.
The recommended stations for these venues are:

• Slough or Windsor & Eton Riverside for Eton Dorney
  • Cheshunt for Lee Valley White Water Centre
  • Leigh-on-Sea for Hadleigh Farm
  • Sevenoaks for Brands Hatch
See specimen Games Travelcards for the Olympic and Paralympic Games - click here.
Please note, while Games Travelcards will be accepted for travel on the high-speed Javelin service during the Games, existing Anytime and Off-Peak (Inboundary) Day Travelcards are not valid for travel on this service. Customers who do not have a Games Travelcard and wish to travel on the high-speed Javelin service will need to purchase a valid ticket for their journey in the usual way.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Interesting, Slough, Sevenoaks, Windsor & Eton etc temporarily in Zone 9! :lol:

I've wondered if you are holder of a games TC if it is for use as 1 return on HS1 to Stratford from St Pan, or if you could do a bit of mini 395 bashing in the meantime going back and forth from St Pancras and Stratford?

island

Veteran Member
Interesting, Slough, Sevenoaks, Windsor & Eton etc temporarily in Zone 9! :lol:

I've wondered if you are holder of a games TC if it is for use as 1 return on HS1 to Stratford from St Pan, or if you could do a bit of mini 395 bashing in the meantime going back and forth from St Pancras and Stratford?

I doubt the guard will be checking people meticulously, or indeed that there will be room enough on the Javelins for him to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.