• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Olympics and Freight traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherJ

Ever since it was announced the Olympics was coming to London I have heard from source after source that no freight will operate through Stratford during the games period and will be diverted via other routes to avoid Greater London.

How comes that I saw a Freightliner container train going through Stratford at 20:30 this evening on to the NLL? I was told all intermodal traffic from the Port of Felixstowe was going to be routed via Peterborough instead of London.

Stratford was moderately busy tonight and GA/LUL have dedicated almost 2/3 of subway space for outbound passengers and the remaining 1/3 for inbound passengers which seemed to work quite well because more people were exiting rather than entering. I had just come from Greenwich having just tried the new Emirates Air Line cable car across the River Thames.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
Some freight services have been diverted but no where near the number originally planned. I suspect the powers that be have actually realised there isnt the capacity to divert all of them.

Boothby97

Established Member
According to Mark off Freightmaster, it's just a few being diverted. Currently, there are two FL 66/4s on Thunderbird duties at Temple Mills (66414) and Willesden (66420).

Hope this helps, Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.