• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Olympics eyesore

Status
Not open for further replies.

bailey65

Most graffiti in big cities globally uk included is stupid tagging done by brain dead gang members some have have been killed while doing it on the rail network as far i am concerned it is good riddance and less vandals to worry about i don't feel sorry for anyone killed or maimed carrying out criminal damage on private property.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Michael.Y

Established Member
Most graffiti in big cities globally uk included is stupid tagging done by brain dead gang members some have have been killed while doing it on the rail network as far i am concerned it is good riddance and less vandals to worry about i don't feel sorry for anyone killed or maimed carrying out criminal damage on private property.

At least some graffiti artists use punctuation. Please at least attempt to make your posts coherent. This sounds like a deranged, uncontrolled rant which negatively affects the point it attempts to make.

VTPreston_Tez

I think the graffiti on the Deptford line looks really good. Nothing compared to Lille/Rome/Nimes, but still I think it could even please some people seeing a taste of British culture but of course please bare in mind that this is my opinion. :)

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I couldn't make much sense of that post either, despite several attempts at reading and re-reading.

I don't share the detestation of grafitti of many on here.
Graffitii is often not likable, but there is much, much more in our cities which I find visually offensive, some of it: much more offensive and much more permanent than grafitti, and most of that is corporate grafitti (massive illuminated signs & logos), architecturally impoverished construction (bland concrete shopping malls, car parks, shop-front conversions) and painfull neglect of our natural envionment.

I find these to be more offensive than any grafitti. And I've yet to be persuaded that the concrete excrement in London's Stratford (anticipating 2 weeks of globally popular activity and a legacy of shopping) isn't a more permanent form of graffito.

In fact, I'll go as far, in response to the OP, as saying that if any visiting tourist who visits the UK on account of the Olympics and contemplates London's visual impact, then I'd hope that they obtain a realistic impression of the City from whatever they see. Lets not lie: If that is how London is, then let's not pretend that it's otherwise.
I detest deceit.

Last edited:

GadgetMan

Yes, it could be eradicated if we really want to. Make it illegal to posess spray-paint in a public place ("Going equipped"). To buy the stuff, you have to produce ID and then leave your details in a register at the point of sale (sort of Poisons Book approach, name, address, quantity bought, colour, purpose of purchase).

The lovely darlings do not buy the stuff.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Could build computer chips in the cans that detect a GPS signal and if they are triggered in designated areas will automatically transmit the exact location of the can to the police.

And if they are moved after triggering will continue updating the police as to the location.

34D

Established Member
Could build computer chips in the cans that detect a GPS signal and if they are triggered in designated areas will automatically transmit the exact location of the can to the police.

And if they are moved after triggering will continue updating the police as to the location.

And what of the poor car bodyshops who are located in railway arches?

Bellwater

I couldn't make much sense of that post either, despite several attempts at reading and re-reading.

I don't share the detestation of grafitti of many on here.
Graffitii is often not likable, but there is much, much more in our cities which I find visually offensive, some of it: much more offensive and much more permanent than grafitti, and most of that is corporate grafitti (massive illuminated signs & logos), architecturally impoverished construction (bland concrete shopping malls, car parks, shop-front conversions) and painfull neglect of our natural envionment.

I find these to be more offensive than any grafitti. And I've yet to be persuaded that the concrete excrement in London's Stratford (anticipating 2 weeks of globally popular activity and a legacy of shopping) isn't a more permanent form of graffito.

In fact, I'll go as far, in response to the OP, as saying that if any visiting tourist who visits the UK on account of the Olympics and contemplates London's visual impact, then I'd hope that they obtain a realistic impression of the City from whatever they see. Lets not lie: If that is how London is, then let's not pretend that it's otherwise.
I detest deceit.

Cracking post.

onein37

Yes, a cracking post but........ Corporate graffiti is done on its own property, where tagging clearly is not. Maybe if they tag your house we should turn a blind eye to that. As for seeing London as it is, why not clean up now, for ever..........

Bellwater

Not just Graffiti, London wants to dump its unwanted on us and other Nearby towns for the olympics.. Thankfully the council for once has said no.

SS4

Established Member

A non-starter I'm afraid. How would the GPS be powered? Sure you could use a battery but it'd quickly run dry; as anyone with a smartphone can attest to is that GPS is power hungry not to mention the cost of fitting it.
GPS itself is still reliant on US satellites as iirc the European Space Agency (ESA) are yet to launch their own satellites.

Lastly what about those who use it legitimately? The GPS would broadcast where it was used essentially letting someone know where everyone is using it

HSTEd

Veteran Member
A non-starter I'm afraid. How would the GPS be powered? Sure you could use a battery but it'd quickly run dry; as anyone with a smartphone can attest to is that GPS is power hungry not to mention the cost of fitting it.
GPS itself is still reliant on US satellites as iirc the European Space Agency (ESA) are yet to launch their own satellites.

Lastly what about those who use it legitimately? The GPS would broadcast where it was used essentially letting someone know where everyone is using it

Precisely.

I was being ironic ;), ofcourse the optimum power source would be an RTG. Although the greens might not like that.

Some new apartments just outside London Bridge have recently been sprayed from the lineside. The graffiti is in white paint with letters approximately 6ft high, including over the windows of the homes. It says "A.C.A.B" which I believe refers to all police officers being without parents.

Charming.

15MPHMAX

On the GEML NR decided in there wisdom to repaint a bridge that was full of graffiti I kid you not ORANGE! :) So the people living near there must be pleased to have all of us whistling up thinking there's NR staff on the track.

Badger

That sounds dangerous, for that reason. Do NR workmen have to wear a different colour there to make sure they stand out?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is the graffiti really that big of an issue when compared to startford International?
When the visitors and tourists arrive to a station who's walls look like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0d/Eurostar_at_Stratford_International_stn.JPG I would have thought that graffiti was further down the priority list
Agreed. I thought that the other day when I was there. The floor at St Pancakes is also looking a bit tired.

The tops of the canopies at Stratford Int'l on the "International" platforms are also extremely dirty. Hope they tidy the place up!

HSTEd

Veteran Member
It looks like they could have done with building a roof over the entire box at Stratford international. Like one of those lightweight ETFE canopy things.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Is the graffiti really that big of an issue when compared to startford International?

It is without a doubt one of the ugliest new stations, and it's also so special in that it's not within the Travelcard zones and also doesn't have any Internationa trains stopping at it.

Whenever I go there, I wonder why they haven't paid graffiti artists to liven things up!

Surely there are plans afoot to put something up on those walls come the time of the Olympics?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Perhaps Stratford International was intentionally designed to look crap so that people appreciate St Pancras all the more?!

I've been there a few times since Westfield opened and it's a horrid place. It feels cold and deserted, but would probably make a good set for any future zombie/end of the world type movie.

I'm sure it will be spruced up for the Olympics before returning to being awful again soon after.

I do accept that it does the job though, and many modern stations have the same minimalist design, yet the new stations on the Jubilee Line (and Westminster) seem to do it far more effectively. I also accept that this is just my opinion and I'm sure there are many people that would think it's a work of art and are already working on getting it listed so we'll be stuck with it for ever more.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
. . . many modern stations have the same minimalist design, yet the new stations on the Jubilee Line (and Westminster) seem to do it far more effectively.
That's quite a contrast!

I consider Westminster Underground station to be a thing of beauty to the eye. While Statford is offensive to the eye.

Both concrete.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Westminster is a really nice station. I suppose one key difference that I am sure someone would point out is that these are all indoor stations.

CP165

On the approach to London Paddington ie. Ladbroke Grove/Westbourne Park/Royal Oak area you can see where NR have painted over graffiti, and I have to say, despite the colour of paint used differing from the rest of wall and the cost etc it looks a hell of lot better.

Also, I agree about Stratford International. I think the walls should be decorated with some kind of murals related to landmarks and the Olympics.

And to be honest it should be called something other that Stratford International, perhaps Stratford North.

EDIT: Stratford International should be decorated with a massive mural of Boris Johnson falling into that river

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
I'd be quite happy to simply see Stratford International become part of the TC zonal system, although this would cost SET dearly as they wouldn't be able to stop people travelling without paying the HS1 supplement.

In fact, that is presumably the only reason we have a station in the middle of London (almost) that is in some sort of magical bubble. Oh, and being an 'International' station too - when it isn't and may never be.

If it did become part of the zones, I'd tolerate the ugliness of the station!

Status
Not open for further replies.