• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Omicron variant and the measures implemented in response to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yew

Established Member
Overall, a bit more testing and isolation until we know what's going on sounded fairly reasonable, even if it lacks any concrete evidence of being particularly more dangerous.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

philosopher

Established Member
From what I can tell, all international arrivals from any country must isolate at home until the results of a PCR test are received.

Well done Boris. You've just killed off the travel industry.

Although it's a rule I'll be doing a Cummings on.
I am sure a certain Micheal O’Leary (CEO of Ryanair) will make his feelings known over the next couple of days!

Last edited:

asw22

I wonder this variant hasn't been around for longer than what we know already for example it was found in several South African countries a few days ago and it has since been found in Hong Kong, Netherlands and UK.

Memories of "Kent variant" December variant being found in 2020.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
From what I can tell, all international arrivals from any country must isolate at home until the results of a PCR test are received.
Well done Boris. You've just killed off the travel industry.
Although it's a rule I'll be doing a Cummings on.
Non British/Irish nationals from the Red list (now 10 countries of southern Africa) will be refused entry.
Boris has just announced that mask rules will be tightened in shops and transport (without details).

Scotrail314209

Established Member
“News that two cases of the Omicron variant have been confirmed in England is a stark reminder that we must not drop our guard.

“No cases have yet been detected in Scotland, but the fact this new variant is on our doorstep is clearly a worry and we should act as though it is already here.

“There is still much to learn about the Omicron variant. Questions remain about its severity, transmissibility and effect on treatments or vaccines and scientists are working at pace to provide additional information. Until more is known we must adopt the precautionary principle and do everything we can to minimise the risk of spreading infection.

“Following discussions today with Health Secretary Sajid Javid and the other devolved administrations - and in light of the well known practical reasons for preferring a UK wide approach to travel restrictions - we are aligning with the new border restrictions being introduced by the UK Government which will require fully vaccinated arrivals to take a PCR test within two days of arrival and to self-isolate until a negative result is received. These measures will be introduced as soon as possible and kept under constant review. However, we reserve the right to go further if necessary.
That's basically a confirmation that Scotland will go further when it comes to restrictions. I bet this will mean curtains for Christmas parties, why can't we just leave it alone now?

I do agree with the fact that this seems really coincidental. I don't wear a tin foil hat, but I do think something is off here.

bramling

Veteran Member

That's basically a confirmation that Scotland will go further when it comes to restrictions. I bet this will mean curtains for Christmas parties, why can't we just leave it alone now?

I do agree with the fact that this seems really coincidental. I don't wear a tin foil hat, but I do think something is off here.

Does seem like the Christmas present some people have been looking for. All very convenient indeed.

It’s also a real gift for Boris himself, having had a particularly dire couple of weeks. What better to have the focus of attention back on “the virus” rather then Peppa Pig and sleaze.

adc82140

Established Member
Just a thought re the isolation before getting a negative test result after travel.

It's unenforceable. You could tell any policeman that asks (haha like that's going to happen) that you did a test on the way back from the airport, or Eurotunnel or wherever, and already have your result. They can't ask to see it. It's up to you whether you delete the email, and they can't call up Randox and get your result.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It is deeply irresponsible of Boris Johnson and others to deny the effectiveness of vaccines against this new variant.

The key to fighting a Sars-CoV-2 infection is through our T cell response; the T cell epitopes are not changing in any of the variants.

Those who claim that new variants may "escape" vaccines are looking purely at antibodies, which is highly misleading.

There is no evidence that the new variant causes more severe symptoms than previous variants

“The new Omicron variant of the Coronavirus results in MILD disease, WITHOUT prominent symptoms.” -Angelique Coetzee, the chairwoman of the South African Medical Association.
"It presents mild disease with symptoms being sore muscles and tiredness for a day or two not feeling well. So far, we have detected that those infected do not suffer loss of taste or smell. They might have a slight cough. There are no prominent symptoms. Of those infected some are currently being treated at home.” Hospitals have NOT been overburdened by Omicron patients and the new strain has not been detected in vaccinated individuals there. We know those vaccinated from other countries infected have been mild or asymptomatic.
NOTE: Unvaccinated individuals make up 65% of hospitalizations currently. 35% are partially vaccinated (one dose). 0% (ZERO) vaccinated individuals. Please consider getting vaccinated. This can make a huge difference between a MILD case and a MODERATE/SEVERE one.

Some people are arguing that Omicron is a more fit virus than Delta, but there is not currently any evidence that this is the case. If it is the case, it won't actually matter unless it results in more severe symptoms than Delta, and there is not currently any evidence of that either.

The argument goes that Omicron pushed out Delta in South Africa, but the truth is:
To those saying it is “outcompeting” Delta. Important thing to keep in mind: there hasn’t been much Delta to displace or “outcompete.” Until last week, South Africa was at its lowest incidence rate since the beginning of the pandemic. In other words, the low incidence of Delta in South Africa kinda means that Nu becoming dominant is weaker evidence of it “outcompeting” it when there really wasn’t much to outcompete so to speak.

You can see for yourself here. With relatively low cases, this may left a void which a new variant could spread into more easily- it likely hasn't had to compete with Delta and in other countries where Delta rages on, it very well may not be as fit.

Secondly, we can’t predict virus behaviour in its entirety from mutations. Yes, I know the number of mutations is off-putting BUT more mutations ≠ BAD. We have seen other alarming variants that have failed to spread as widely in the past.

Next, I want everyone to know this now, we don’t know if there are other factors that may be helping this to spread. South Africa has a LOW VACCINATION RATE. We are talking about 24% FULLY VACCINATED and this DESPERATELY needs to be fixed.

Last edited:

adc82140

Established Member
It is deeply irresponsible of Boris Johnson and others to deny the effectiveness of vaccines against this new variant.

The key to fighting a Sars-CoV-2 infection is through our T cell response; the T cell epitopes are not changing in any of the variants.

Those who claim that new variants may "escape" vaccines are looking purely at antibodies, which is highly misleading.

There is no evidence that the new variant causes more severe symptoms than previous variants

That's interesting. If it's proven that Omicron causes milder disease, should we all have Omicron parties to help it defeat Delta?

Yew

Established Member
It does seem like there's not a lot of concrete evidence that it's actually worse than delta, I wonder if we'll see an embarrassing backtrack in a few weeks.

I quite liked the phrase 'reasonable chance that it can partially escape vaccine'. It's perhaps the most non-interesting phrase I've ever heard. It broadly equates "vaccine effectiveness might be reduced by between 1-100%". It's almost a completely valueless thing to say - one of the scale is a non-issue, the other is a big problem.

KeithMcC

Just a thought re the isolation before getting a negative test result after travel.

It's unenforceable. You could tell any policeman that asks (haha like that's going to happen) that you did a test on the way back from the airport, or Eurotunnel or wherever, and already have your result. They can't ask to see it. It's up to you whether you delete the email, and they can't call up Randox and get your result.
So how is it supposed to work? These rules are dreamt up by those who are collected in a limo. at the airport and taken home. Normal people get the tube/train/bus home and maybe go and have a test the next day.

adc82140

Established Member
So how is it supposed to work? These rules are dreamt up by those who are collected in a limo. at the airport and taken home. Normal people get the tube/train/bus home and maybe go and have a test the next day.
To summarise.

"We must be seen to be doing something. This is something. Let's do it"

philosopher

Established Member

I agree it is unenforceable and I suspect many, if not most UK tourists going abroad will not be put off by it. However it is enough to totally screw up the UK tourist industry. Can’t see many wanting to visit the UK if they have to spend the first 48 to 72 hours stuck in a hotel room.

adc82140

Established Member
I agree it is unenforceable and I suspect many, if not most UK tourists going abroad will not be put off by it. However it is enough to totally screw up the UK tourist industry. Can’t see many wanting to visit the UK if they have to spend the first 48 to 72 hours stuck in a hotel room.
Jeez, I hadn't thought of that. My fear is that other countries will come up with reciprocal requirements.

asw22

The pm said that "this christmas is going to be better than last year"
I hope so but part of me wonders about this given how many other u-turns have happened.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
It's better to be confined to quarters pending a result than being a potential superspreader

Jimini

Established Member
I hope so but part of me wonders about this given how many other u-turns have happened.

Not sure it could be any worse! Although I did get to swerve visiting the in-laws as usual in 2020 ;)

bramling

Veteran Member

His words are meaningless. Look at what happened with the school reopening at the start of this year.

One understands that things move quickly, the problem is that Boris simply opens his mouth and says whatever will get him through the immediate situation. It’s happened too many times such that he now has zero credibility.

21C101

Established Member

Some people are arguing that Omicron is a more fit virus than Delta, but there is not currently any evidence that this is the case. If it is the case, it won't actually matter unless it results in more severe symptoms than Delta, and there is not currently any evidence of that either.

The argument goes that Omicron pushed out Delta in South Africa, but the truth is:
+1

nw1

Established Member
Just a question about the requirement to "isolate until you get a negative PCR test" after returning from abroad.

I have heard that PCR tests might give false positive results for up to 90 days after infection. But I presume is it still a maximum of 10 days, as usual, so if you isolate for 10 days after returning, you are then good?

This could be a factor personally in deciding whether I travel abroad soon. More generally, does anyone have an idea how frequently 'false positive' PCR tests occur after a previous infection?

Last edited:

GrahamD83

So this announcement comes on a day where there are 39567 cases - 10.5K lower than yesterday. Hospital figures also still falling. I had been concerned the recent rise above 50k was this variant already spreading. Lets hope the 3 week is just to monitor figures, and measures are relaxed again if there's no exponential rise.

I am also concerned that 3 weeks takes us to a week before Christmas and its starting to feel like last year repeating itself.

Dent

So this announcement comes on a day where there are 39567 cases - 10.5K lower than yesterday.
Comparing case numbers between consecutive days is meaningless because of weekly fluctuations in testing, you should be comparing to the same day last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.