• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Omicron variant and the measures implemented in response to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

nw1

Established Member
Because it's a popular policy. The majority of Ireland want the opportunity to show that they are not "one of them" as frequently as possible.

A recent poll showed that 67% of the Irish public believe that harsher restrictions for the unvaccinated are necessary.
That's worrying. Given the majority of people are vaccinated, why are people worried about the minority that are not? Also it's worrying (if that figure is true) that a large percentage of the public are supporting draconian measures on top of what is already in existence, especially given that the unvaccinated are, as you say, "already barred from all indoor hospitality, cinemas, theatres, gyms and leisure centres".

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
That's worrying. Given the majority of people are vaccinated, why are people worried about the minority that are not? Also it's worrying (if that figure is true) that a large percentage of the public are supporting draconian measures on top of what is already in existence, especially given that the unvaccinated are, as you say, "already barred from all indoor hospitality, cinemas, theatres, gyms and leisure centres".
That's the current public vibe, in a country which let's not forget was second in the world for COVID cases (ignoring tiny islands and microstates) earlier this month and has 2-3 times the case rate per population of England, whose rate isn't exactly low.

On my frequent visits during Q4 2021, "militant compliance" was the order of the day with a number of stores having employees verbally instructing everyone entering to sanitize their hands, and very aggressive signage (example: "no mask on your face? You're a big disgrace, spreading your germs all over the place") Eating and drinking has been banned on trains and buses for many months.

NorthKent1989

Established Member
That's the current public vibe, in a country which let's not forget was second in the world for COVID cases (ignoring tiny islands and microstates) earlier this month and has 2-3 times the case rate per population of England, whose rate isn't exactly low.

On my frequent visits during Q4 2021, "militant compliance" was the order of the day with a number of stores having employees verbally instructing everyone entering to sanitize their hands, and very aggressive signage (example: "no mask on your face? You're a big disgrace, spreading your germs all over the place") Eating and drinking has been banned on trains and buses for many months.

Im not sure that’s the public vibe, the majority are done with restrictions of any kind, even the booster uptake has dropped, I would say the public vibe is that we must live with Covid.

I don’t know why you are worry about the truth of posts now given the amazing amount of misinformation posted in this tread

What misinformation?

danm14

Im not sure that’s the public vibe, the majority are done with restrictions of any kind, even the booster uptake has dropped, I would say the public vibe is that we must live with Covid.
In Ireland?

The country where you regularly see people wearing masks whilst walking alone in the countryside, and bus drivers wear them whilst driving completely empty buses?

The country where you still need to queue in the rain to enter businesses because everybody needs to keep six feet apart, with people tutting and shaking their heads at you, muttering about how "it's no wonder so many people are dying" if you don't?

The country where you need a vaccine passport to get your eyes tested or your hair cut in most businesses even though there's no law requiring this, and if you can't be vaccinated for legitimate medical reasons you're excluded for "the greater good"?

philosopher

Established Member
In Ireland?

The country where you regularly see people wearing masks whilst walking alone in the countryside, and bus drivers wear them whilst driving completely empty buses?

The country where you still need to queue in the rain to enter businesses because everybody needs to keep six feet apart, with people tutting and shaking their heads at you, muttering about how "it's no wonder so many people are dying" if you don't?

The country where you need a vaccine passport to get your eyes tested or your hair cut in most businesses even though there's no law requiring this, and if you can't be vaccinated for legitimate medical reasons you're excluded for "the greater good"?
I am curious on why so many people in Ireland are still so cautious with regards to Covid.

Has the government there done a particularly good job at scaring people, or is there some other reason?

island

Veteran Member
I am curious on why so many people in Ireland are still so cautious with regards to Covid.

Has the government there done a particularly good job at scaring people, or is there some other reason?
Might be worth a new thread/split at this point but there's much more social pressure to conform to "the norm" over there.

102 fan

I'm at a loss, especially as thr NI First Minister is open to restrictions easing next week.

'Covid-19 restrictions could be eased next week, says Paul Givan'

It would be interesting to see how this works with Border towns!

joncombe

Some of the press seams to be reporting that restrictions will end on the 26th January EXCEPT for the requirement to wear masks on public transport and in shops. I really hope this is not the case I cannot see any justification for it and I fear if that creeps on past the end of January it won't go until at least the spring. I haven't seen an official statement to this effect but I haven't seen the various Sunday morning political shows so maybe someone stated it there.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Some of the press seams to be reporting that restrictions will end on the 26th January EXCEPT for the requirement to wear masks on public transport and in shops. I really hope this is not the case I cannot see any justification for it and I fear if that creeps on past the end of January it won't go until at least the spring. I haven't seen an official statement to this effect but I haven't seen the various Sunday morning political shows so maybe someone stated it there.

In England apart from masks what other restrictions are there apart from having to isolate for 5 days if positive? WFH is only guidance remember.

island

Veteran Member
In England apart from masks what other restrictions are there apart from having to isolate for 5 days if positive? WFH is only guidance remember.
CovidPasses for large venues, day 2 tests after travelling in from overseas, and some residual powers for local councils to close or restrict venues.

Class 33

Established Member
Some of the press seams to be reporting that restrictions will end on the 26th January EXCEPT for the requirement to wear masks on public transport and in shops. I really hope this is not the case I cannot see any justification for it and I fear if that creeps on past the end of January it won't go until at least the spring.

I absolutely agree. All the articles I've read recently indicate that face mask measures will still remain beyond 26th January(but for how long??) So chances are this will turn out to be the case. There really are no justifications whatsoever why this nonsense should still drag on even longer! When face mask restrictions were brought in on 30th November Javid did actually say in parliament "If the Omicron variant is found to be no more severe than the Delta variant, then these restrictions can be scrapped immediately." and "We will not keep these restrictions going for a moment longer than necessary.". So why then does it appear they're intending to keep these restrictions going still dragging on? The press and media need to challenge the government on this issue, but I doubt they will!

Johnson also did say a couple of weeks that this country can be back to normal in TWO MONTHS time. Well time is running out now. We've 6 weeks to go till that date now. Face mask restrictions as well as all the other nonsense restrictions needs to be completely scrapped by then without fail. No more silly excuses!

21C101

Established Member
Can we please stop smearing the whole Island. The Republic of Ireland is not Ireland.

This will become very stark if as indicated above NI follow England and lift restrictions.

35B

Established Member
I absolutely agree. All the articles I've read recently indicate that face mask measures will still remain beyond 26th January(but for how long??) So chances are this will turn out to be the case. There really are no justifications whatsoever why this nonsense should still drag on even longer! When face mask restrictions were brought in on 30th November Javid did actually say in parliament "If the Omicron variant is found to be no more severe than the Delta variant, then these restrictions can be scrapped immediately." and "We will not keep these restrictions going for a moment longer than necessary.". So why then does it appear they're intending to keep these restrictions going still dragging on? The press and media need to challenge the government on this issue, but I doubt they will!

Johnson also did say a couple of weeks that this country can be back to normal in TWO MONTHS time. Well time is running out now. We've 6 weeks to go till that date now. Face mask restrictions as well as all the other nonsense restrictions needs to be completely scrapped by then without fail. No more silly excuses!
Methinks "Operation Big Dog" may give you what you want. Whether that's a good way to make policy, be that policy good or bad, is a rather different question.

102 fan

Can we please stop smearing the whole Island. The Republic of Ireland is not Ireland.

This will become very stark if as indicated above NI follow England and lift restrictions.

Are there any elections due? N I has one in May which has a possible bearing on easing restrictions.

danm14

All the articles I've read recently indicate that face mask measures will still remain beyond 26th January(but for how long??)
Am I mistaken or was this not also being reported in the run up to July 19th, only for them to cease to be mandatory but remain recommended?

Are there any elections due? N I has one in May which has a possible bearing on easing restrictions.
Next election in the Republic can be as late as February 2025 - although I struggle to see the current government lasting that long. The previous one took place a month before lockdown started.

Eyersey468

Established Member

Given the number of false promises and u turns from this government to say nothing of the amount of hypocrisy I believe things when they happen now.

Dent

The legislation expires on the 26th, including the face mask requirement. Any legal requirement after that date will require a new act of parliament. Is there really any justification for this, and would it even pass a vote?

philosopher

Established Member
Am I mistaken or was this not also being reported in the run up to July 19th, only for them to cease to be mandatory but remain recommended?
One thing I have learnt is that easing of restrictions tends to go better than expected, therefore I think by the end of the month, masks, along with Covid passes and WFH advice will have gone. All that I suspect will remain domestically are self isolation requirements and advice to wear masks in crowded locations, similar to the situation in November.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
One thing I have learnt is that easing of restrictions tends to go better than expected, therefore I think by the end of the month, masks, along with Covid passes and WFH advice will have gone. All that I suspect will remain domestically are self isolation requirements and advice to wear masks in crowded locations, similar to the situation in November.
Anything that requires the legislation to be extended will be met by another Tory rebel backlash and just give him negative press when he wants positive headlines. So im with you all we will see is some guidance at best then he can go another charm offensive about how he adopted the sensible policy over this variant gave you most of your freedoms.

21C101

Established Member
Peter Hitchens made an interesting point today as to how coincidental it was that the series of leaks about goings on at Downing Street came nearly two years after the events concerned....

...but immediately after Johnson finally stood up to the Industrial-Health complex and refused to lock down on the basis of their hysterical false promises.

island

Veteran Member
The legislation expires on the 26th, including the face mask requirement. Any legal requirement after that date will require a new act of parliament. Is there really any justification for this, and would it even pass a vote?
It would not require an Act of Parliament, only fresh regulations, which would need to be confirmed by both Houses of Parliament within 28 days after signing.

21C101

Established Member
Portillo and Arlene Foster were interviewed today.
Absolutely fasscinating, quote from Portillo below. The video goes on with Foster explaining the hideous pressure to lock down imposed by the media.

"'The origin of the issue was restrictions that I believe were unnecessary, that were inhumane, that were cruel... it's extraordinary these restrictions were brought in, within a democratic society.' Michael Portillo on Covid restrictions in the UK."

MikeWM

Established Member

It is particularly concerning at this point, because if you are going to bar the unvaccinated *now*, when the vaccine is doing basically nothing to prevent infections or transmission, and the virus is basically a cold now for most people anyway, when are you ever going to 'un-bar' them? Like all these measures, if there is no criteria for removing them, they tend to drag on and on and on.

Or is the plan to keep it this way forever now?

Once you 'other' a group like this, it is hard to 'un'-'other' them, even if the political will is there to do so, and in this case I doubt it is.

Given the number of false promises and u turns from this government to say nothing of the amount of hypocrisy I believe things when they happen now.
I do look forward to the annual "one last push" at this time of the year.

Socanxdis

Reports in the media suggest Plan B measures may be lifted by end of January. With TOCs running reduced timetables, how will they cope if the wfh advice is no longer in place and people start using the railways like before?

farleigh

Reports in the media suggest Plan B measures may be lifted by end of January. With TOCs running reduced timetables, how will they cope if the wfh advice is no longer in place and people start using the railways like before?
The railway will be overwhelmed and we will need restrictions to save it

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
The railway will be overwhelmed and we will need restrictions to save it
The DofT should be instructing TOCs to have a plan to progressively restore services during Feb but doubt it will happen that way and best that might happen is some targeted extras to deal with significant overcrowding. Ultimately I'd be surprised if we get back to Dec 21 by May 22 and some of these reductions will become permanent now.

Status
Not open for further replies.