• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

On board announcements SWT

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbeech

Established Member
It appears the on board automated announcements are a station behind this morning. The guard and the automated announcements are essentially having an argument.
I got on at Ashford (Surrey) and was told I was at Staines and its consistently a station behind.

The guard seems to be getting more and more irate.
"Please ignore the automated message"

Maybe I should get a refund if the train only things it gets as far as Vauxhall (that's a joke before anyone questions it .... It's the same price anyway)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Can't the guard or driver switch the automated PA off (or at least silence it)?

Monty

Established Member
I'm going to hazard a guess is a 458 operated service? In that case the PIS system does not use GPS ensure the announcements are correct and with this particular type of train the PIS malfunctioning like this is not uncommon. To compound matters only the driver can turn it off/on or reset it.

ctom_s

Happened many times before to me as I live at Queenstown road. The best one was when loads of people got off thinking it was Vauxhall when I was coming back to QTR. Then looked pretty peeved as it was late and next train wasn't for 15 minutes

There are rarely announcements the passengers just have to figure it out themselves

These experiences were however trumped by the northern line the other day which still stated it was going to Morden despite heading back to London, with the next station being the one before the one we'd just left :lol:

robbeech

Established Member
It seemed to lag even more behind towards the end suggesting we were at Clapham Junction when we arrived inWaterloo.

I'm not from around here, just working down here for a few weeks but I've managed to get into London on the weekends and the services from SWT in fairness have been very good. Certainly far more reliable than what we get up North.
I spotted trains backed uk along the line near Staines on ..... Monday? Or Tuesday? After some lightning based issues but I've been picking people up from the likes of Staines / Chertsey / Shepperton / Sunbury etc all week and they have generally been on time even during busier times.

Commuter66

The train I was on the other day thought it was in London Waterloo when I got on at Petersfield... I was rather concerned that the next station was Woking as I was travelling to Fratton.

At least I now know that I cannot use Oyster or Freedom Passes at Petersfield...

cactustwirly

Established Member
The GWR system on class 165/6s is mostly (it's quite rare for it to be correct) at least a station behind, when the train was arriving into Paddington, it thought it was at Hayes & Harlington!

samuelmorris

Established Member
The only route I see this come up regularly on is the District line D78 stock, which can be quite confusing as sometimes it's 1 station out of step, then it might go up to 2 and then 3, then suddenly catch up but only as far as one behind, and so on. The Jubilee line 96TS occasionally seems to do it too, but very rarely. I'm not sure I can ever recall seeing mainline stock do it - usually the PIS faults I see on mainline stock are blank or corrupt displays and/or garbled audio. The actual information being presented is usually correct.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
How does the PIS find out what station the train last called at? Does it read some flag/marker from the blaises used by the ASDO?

fgwrich

Established Member
The GWR system on class 165/6s is mostly (it's quite rare for it to be correct) at least a station behind, when the train was arriving into Paddington, it thought it was at Hayes & Harlington!

Sounds like the standard system on GW - the Station platform ones are usually far behind, with non stopping train passing through, Roger announcing that the next train does not stop here usually after the fast train has sped through and the next train that does stop is arriving.

BestWestern

Established Member
You really can't beat an old fashioned human being with a PA system. What a shame we're so unfashionable these days :roll:

TEW

Established Member
How does the PIS find out what station the train last called at? Does it read some flag/marker from the blaises used by the ASDO?

Desiros use GPS so the system usually sorts itself out provided it has the correct calling pattern in. 458s use wheel rotations, so if they're out of sync they won't auto-correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.