• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

On Holiday in Spain, UK Holiday makers complains..full of Spanish people

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAX54

Established Member
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-claims-trip-Benidorm-ruined-rude-locals.html
  • Freda Jackson, 81, Blackburn, Lancashire, claims trip to Benidorm was 'ruined'
  • Grandmother says Spanish holidaymakers were 'rude' and 'got on our nerves'
  • Ms Jackson said: 'The entertainment in the hotel was all focused and catered for the Spanish - why can't the Spanish go somewhere else for their holidays?'

Seems this person went on £1300 holiday (for two) and found that Benidorm, was full of Spanish people, and it ruined her holiday, demands FULL refund :)

Title should ne....UK Holiday maker.... not 'makers' :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Yeah saw that yesterday and had a chuckle to myself about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

pdeaves

Established Member
(in the article) "why can't the Spanish go somewhere else for their holidays?". You mean, like, in Ms Jackson's home town? I am sure that will be acceptable!

Calthrop

Established Member
Shades of the testy old chap in the novel by Nancy Mitford, who opined: "Abroad is bloody -- it's insanitary and full of foreigners".

pemma

Veteran Member
Saw this yesterday. Seems to be a case of read the full story not the headline.

She complained and was offered compensation because:
1. She has mobility issues and had asked for a ground floor room in a flat area in the town and was given a second floor room in a hilly area in the countryside so was stuck at a hotel with lots of Spanish people due to not being able to get out and about.
2. Her flights were changed and due to a communication break down she was only told at short notice.

Clip

Established Member
Saw this yesterday. Seems to be a case of read the full story not the headline.

She complained and was offered compensation because:
1. She has mobility issues and had asked for a ground floor room in a flat area in the town and was given a second floor room in a hilly area in the countryside so was stuck at a hotel with lots of Spanish people due to not being able to get out and about.
2. Her flights were changed and due to a communication break down she was only told at short notice.

Yes very true however she did complain about the spanish being there and she did ask why they didnt go elsewhere

pemma

Veteran Member
Yes very true however she did complain about the spanish being there and she did ask why they didnt go elsewhere

Yes. If she was told the hotel would be mainly British guests and it was mainly Spanish guests then she's entitled to point out she didn't get what she was promised. However, complaining about Spanish culture when you're going to Spain is a bit rich. By that I mean the Spanish language is more direct than the English language and Spanish people tend to stay out late, get up late and can be quite rowdy.

Clip

Established Member
I dont think any operator would state what guests would mainly be there due to them not knowing any other bookings from any other operator and its well known now in 30 odd years since the explosion in going abroad that you are more than likely going to be sharing with German,French or shock horror even Spanish holiday makers - its not the preserve of the bloody English going on holiday you know.

CC 72100

Established Member
By that I mean the Spanish language is more direct than the English language and Spanish people tend to stay out late, get up late and can be quite rowdy.

Absolutely. I've never seen British people behave like that abroad. Never. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Gathursty

Established Member
We British people should not be allowed near foreign people for their benefit.

pemma

Veteran Member
Absolutely. I've never seen British people behave like that abroad. Never. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

The Spanish can be even rowdier! On a Spanish bus banging on the windows and shouting is commonplace, even when the passengers aren't kids or (probably) haven't been drinking.

pemma

Veteran Member
I dont think any operator would state what guests would mainly be there due to them not knowing any other bookings from any other operator and its well known now in 30 odd years since the explosion in going abroad that you are more than likely going to be sharing with German,French or shock horror even Spanish holiday makers - its not the preserve of the bloody English going on holiday you know.

Normally hotels are advertised as having English speaking staff rather than having mainly British guests. I stayed at a hotel in Portugal which had mainly French guests and more French speaking staff than English speaking staff but I didn't feel it was necessary to complain about it. Spain is one of the few countries where the number of British visitors significantly outnumber the number of German visitors but the 12 million Germans visiting Spain each year have to stay somewhere.

BanburyBlue

We have just came back from a cruise that stopped in Almeria, Spain. We bumped into one of the other passengers while strolling around the town, who advised us in quite shocked and forceful tones, "not to go in that coffee shop over there, because they only spoke Spanish"!!

Howardh

Established Member
We British people should not be allowed near foreign people for their benefit.
Almost agree with that, except there should be two kinds of Brit, those you refer to and those of us who have a degree of culture/travel/independence/exploration. The latter are allowed out of the country whilst the former stay at home grumbling there are "toomanyimmigrantsinnit".

mmh

Established Member
There's nothing wrong of itself wanting to go on holiday to a "British" resort or hotel, it might not be everyone's cup of tea but it's what lots of people do. We're far from the only people who do it, my favourite resort holiday town (Puerto de la Cruz in Tenerife) is mostly visited by German holidaymakers (German is more useful than English as a common language in many places there), with most of the Brits there being ex-pats.

Personally a full english every morning and karaoke every night doesn't appeal, but it is nice to have the choice of popping by an ex-pat bar if that's what takes your fancy, or not if it doesn't.

I'd prefer to spark up a conversation (as has happened many times) with someone from back home telling me how good the sunday roast at blah's or a German in the German bar than be bored by a snobby compatriot telling me how wonderful and real and authentically local and... yawn.

Groningen

Established Member
Benidorm is/was also an area where a lot of Dutch go/went. There is even a snackbar called "Viva Hollandia". That is just 1 of them; there is a lot of Dutch stuff to be found.

Groningen

Established Member
Are the British still complaining about the holiday in Spain to get (part or total) refund, because they got ill from the food (or something else)?

SHD

There's nothing wrong of itself wanting to go on holiday to a "British" resort or hotel, it might not be everyone's cup of tea but it's what lots of people do.

Nothing wrong indeed, but Torquay ought to be a better choice than Benidorm to fulfill that specific desire, don't you think?

Groningen

Established Member
Maybe pensioners should move to southern Italy. Matteo Salvini promises that those people pay no income taks for the next 10 years. They have to life there for at least 6 months. In the last 15 years 2 million people have moved away. MS expects to receive 600.000 new persons from northern Europe. First only for cities below 4.000 persons. He got the idea from Portugal. 50.000 moved to Portugal and the government received 2 billion euro extra.

Howardh

Established Member
I've just returned from the Med - managed to grab a few days respite; and regarding the "Britishness" of certain resorts/areas - I avoid anything "British" as that's where I come from and I want something different!

So I am happy in "German" pubs, "Dutch" ones and of course the bars where the local Spanish hang out. Point being, I wonder if any Dutch avoid the "Dutch" bars for the same reason I avoud the "British" ones, so the net result is the brits go to the Dutch bars, the Dutch go to the Brit......etc etc!!

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
This thread really does make me chuckle... when out in Spain a few yrs back I got speaking to an ex-pat who said the reason they'd left the UK was cos they were fed up with the kow towing to the immigrants... a bit later in the conversation I asked how easy she'd found it to learn Spanish {I was thinking of going out for a few yrs to work} "oh G-d no, dear" she said "I don't speak Spanish... if they want my money they can bloody well learn to speak English"

I think that sums up the Brit's attitude to "abroad" and "foreign" :D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.